Strange Experience on Chrono24 - Advice requested

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Re: Strange Experience on Chrono24 - Advice requested

Post by Thegreyman »

This guy sounds like a grade A idiot and chancer. From memory (I’ve bought and sold on Chrono24 a few times) I seem to recall sending cleared funds to the escrow account and not using a credit card so I’m not clear you can buy via a credit card.

I’d ignore this guy if you can and wait the requisite period to receive funds, certainly nothing to feel bad or guilty about, seems like you have been beyond reasonable.
These users thanked the author Thegreyman for the post (total 3):
Bahnstormer_vRSwatchaholicajax87
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by ajax87 »

The mediator updated me on a couple things.

First, if I did choose to accept a return, I'd have a chance to inspect the watch and confirm it's in the same condition that I sent it before they'd give the buyer his money back. That's a nice bit of peace of mind.

The mediator is giving the buyer 2 more days (until end of business tomorrow) to expound upon his complaints and/or provide some support. If nothing, then they'll release the funds to me.

I'm open to taking the watch back or giving concessions if there really is something wrong with the watch. But I'm pretty anal about what I sell. I checked it multiple times through the month or so I had it listed. Checked timing (consistently -6spd every time I checked), checked the power reserve and got 80.5 hours out of it. I know it's been running just fine. So to have him say it loses 90 seconds a day and power reserve lasts only 20 hours and the date function doesn't work and the strap is too short... he should be able to at least prove the date doesn't work with a simple video, right? But he doesn't. He ignores our requests and finds something else to go on about.

Here are a few gems from the messages he's sent me:

"I have an average mans wrist and Im on the last hole of the leather tip of the deployment bracelet. Perhaps it would be comfortable for a man with broomstick sized wrists or a slender woman." (It's a normal OEM Tissot strap?)

"You should accurately give details of the watch and bracelet instead of writing a fable like a carnival pitchman as in your watch description."

"You have a couple choices; stop lying and falsifying your descriptions or shut up and get out"

"You seem to be more of an imposter poser by creating falsehoods and misrepresenting your description. This watch requires serviving"

This whole thing is causing me way more anxiety than it should. I'm trying to find humor in it though, and these quotes do a good job :lol: :lol:
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster mk40|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by watchaholic »

That’s harsh treatment, and it hurts when someone goes after you on such a personal level. Do whatever you can to put this behind you as quickly as possible and don’t engage with this troll. That is all he is looking for, and ignoring his insults is the best medicine for you and the worst for him.
These users thanked the author watchaholic for the post (total 3):
missFajax87Bahnstormer_vRS
Time and money? I’ve spent most of mine on booze and women. The rest I just wasted…
Dwight
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

ajax87 wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 2:26 pm
"I have an average mans wrist and Im on the last hole of the leather tip of the deployment bracelet. Perhaps it would be comfortable for a man with broomstick sized wrists or a slender woman." (It's a normal OEM Tissot strap?)
Not bad for someone who can’t spell or punctuate.
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post (total 2):
watchaholicajax87
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

Agree.
Everything is set up for you to get your sale, or a no stress return. So please don’t worry any more about this guy.
You are actually being blatantly blamed for exactly what this buyer is doing. That is - lying, posing, scamming, misrepresenting. This is from straight out the narcissist/sociopath’s handbook. We have people in public life both sides of the pond who play the same game.

Thankfully you’re not going to lose money from this deal - that much is clear. Best way to deal with these people is to walk away - we all risk our sanity hanging round these people for too long. You’ll never know why he’s the a**hole that he is, and you’ll never know how to make him calm the **** down and just chill either. He’s anti rational. I’ve got plenty experience with these people but it’s still impossible to avoid getting badly shook when we come into their orbit.

Back to life, back to reality.... :thumbup:
These users thanked the author missF for the post (total 2):
watchaholicajax87
gwells
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by gwells »

honestly, i wouldn't do anything but take the money and run, unless Chrono24 tries to get you to do otherwise. you know the watch was in good condition when it was sent, and the buyer is a PITA. so agreeing to a return or compensation of any kind will only embolden him, whether with you or with someone else. if chrono24 will release your money to you, i'd take it and wash your hands of the whole thing.

i'm willing to be flexible with reasonable people, but unreasonable people can **** off.
These users thanked the author gwells for the post (total 3):
missFthomcat00ajax87
the "g" is for Greg...
Trs1982
Expert
Expert

Post by Trs1982 »

I'd let the mediator close it off and release your funds. As a goodwill gesture, perhaps send him a broomstick so that he can admire his new tiny watch on that.
These users thanked the author Trs1982 for the post (total 2):
missFajax87
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TheBeatles »

ajax87 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:37 pm but if I end up without the watch and the $250, it's not a huge deal.
I don’t know your financial situation, but as you say $250 not a great deal. But as buyer has been such a PITA, I’d give him as much grief as possible. And try to enjoy it from there!

Good luck, never had many issues with eBay/Chrono sales. I think I’ve been lucky.
These users thanked the author TheBeatles for the post:
ajax87
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
Chris GB
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 2

Post by Chris GB »

I'd say start quiet and let the mediator sort it out. Two weeks of ignoring you are not going to go in his favour. Can you leave buyer feedback :lol:
These users thanked the author Chris GB for the post:
ajax87
C63 Sealander - Hunter Green. Twelve Ti -Purple. C65 Aquitaine - Seagrass Green. On order: C63 SH21 Blue Marine (delayed 4 months plus 3 months plus 3 weeks. So far). C1 Bel Canto - Voila (delayed). Waiting. Endless waiting.
chrisedwards
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 3

Post by chrisedwards »

I agree with all the others who say let the mediator do what they do, as it sounds like you'll get your money anyway due to this buyer being one of those who will pick an argument about anything at all. He's probably been chastised by his other half for buying a watch and now he's trying to ruin your life instead because of his mistake.

The next complaint, which will come on Saturday, will be 'THIS WATCH SAYS IT'S THE 31ST JUNE, ITS CLEARLY BROKEN'.

Some people...
These users thanked the author chrisedwards for the post:
ajax87
CWs: C40 IPK, C1 Bel Canto Nero and C12 ‘Twelve’ blue titanium

Others: don't ask..!
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by iain »

Remember that shouldn’t argue with an idiot, they’ll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience……
These users thanked the author iain for the post:
ajax87
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by ajax87 »

Thanks for some good laughs and good advice everyone :thumbup: Just sitting back and and waiting at this point. I hadn't actually messaged him since 6/19, at the request of the mediator who could see me trying to placate him was just spurring him on.
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster mk40|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
scampbell61
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 5

Post by scampbell61 »

Sorry, sounds like your situation is like one of those potholes that we all accidentally run over every now and then. I would inquire with the mediator on how they handle negative reviews in these circumstances.
Stewart
“Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.” ― Eric Hoffer

C65 -Dune, C63-Sealander GMT, C60 Atoll 300 “Shark White”, Twelve, and C65 Chronograph
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 5

Post by Viognier »

Hi Alex @ajax87

Haven't been on the forum in some time and read this saga. You've handled this perfectly IMO. How did this story end? Chrno24 release the money?
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

chrisedwards wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 6:35 pm I agree with all the others who say let the mediator do what they do, as it sounds like you'll get your money anyway due to this buyer being one of those who will pick an argument about anything at all. He's probably been chastised by his other half for buying a watch and now he's trying to ruin your life instead because of his mistake.

The next complaint, which will come on Saturday, will be 'THIS WATCH SAYS IT'S THE 31ST JUNE, ITS CLEARLY BROKEN'.

Some people...
It might say it's the 31st, but I doubt it says it's June.