Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Re: Some Observations from an American in Wales

Post by tikkathree »

jkbarnes wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 10:55 am
I have a stove top kettle. Takes forever to come to a boil compared to these electric kettle. But as has been previously pointed out, the speed of the boil might have more to do with the 240 voltage than anything else.
And that's my problem with moka pot stove top coffee makers. Too long, too much electricicles!

Indicators = turn signals, or blinkers, as my Massachusetts born wife occasionally calls them. And yes, it is generally a ticket-able offense to park on the road opposite to the direction of traffic. I’m shocked at how prevalent that is here. It’s a ballsy move!

For sure America's got this one right. It spares us all that chariot racing and dodgems but actually people either can parallel park (that's what we call it here) or they really really can't.
Again you should perhaps try it while you can?

Honestly, filling up the rental was like Monopoly money. I didn’t even worry about. I’ve only had to fill up once, and that’s likely to be it. We’ve kept driving to a minimum. The shocker was the petrol policy with the rental car - like for like, as the guy put it. They sent me on my way with a quarter tank, I need to return it with a quarter tank. In the US they send you out with a full tank!
Oh man, CHECK THE SMALL PRINT!
I had a hire car last month and the guy was very clear that it would be waaay cheaper for me to refill it rather than the hire company refill it and bill me for it.

But here's a tip: whilst one of you has control of the fill nozzle, the other of you should be watching the fuel gauge and shout as soon as the dial points to the quarter, half or whatever mark they told you. With my own car my habit is to brim the tank at every fill. I reckon my hire car took at least 10 litres after the gauge hit full, either that or this modern travel box actually achieved about 6mpg!
C65 Trident Vintage
Mea culpa - I really couldn't tell.

It’s a digital mirrorless micro 4/3 format from Olympus, the first generation OM-D E-M5. It has the look and size of an old film SLR, which is why I got it. The lenses for it are small too, like old school manual lenses. And I bought the strap specifically for its 70s, old school vibe.
It's a canny look. I was fooled all the way to Mount Olympus hahaha!
20230702_111701.jpg
Enjoy the holiday!
These users thanked the author tikkathree for the post:
jkbarnes
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20FLE
Some other brands
Thunder1
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 12

Post by Thunder1 »

From the looks of things, it seems like you're having the time of your life!!..we're enjoying reading your posts, as well.. :thumbup:
These users thanked the author Thunder1 for the post (total 2):
tikkathreejkbarnes
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a lowcut dress that zips up the side..neither gets the love that they deserve..
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

jkbarnes wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 2:04 pm
  • Portion sizes are smaller…and far more appropriate!
And if you go for Fine Dining, the size of the portions is in inverse proportion to the size of the bill.
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post:
jkbarnes
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

tikkathree wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 2:05 pm but actually people either can parallel park (that's what we call it here) or they really really can't.

…It's a canny look. I was fooled all the way to Mount Olympus hahaha!
I’ve parallel parked twice now, and it was miserable both times. I’m good at it normally, but being on the opposite side of the car has completely thrown me off. I probably looked ridiculous trying to shoe horn this car into a spot! :lol:

As for my camera, it was modeled on the OM, hence the name OM-D! I love it. In terms of sensor size and features, it’s quite old by digital standards. It still takes fabulous pics and meets all my needs, so I’m in no rush to upgrade. I bought a grip for it that enhances functionality quite a bit. I’ve got part of that grip on now. I left the second attachment, that adds an additional battery and adds a vertical shutter release at home for this trip. And I limited myself to one lens, a 35mm equivalent.
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post:
Caller
Drew
Amor Vincit Omnia

Steve

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

Just no :shock:
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 3:57 pm You should have stayed here…

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-wales-66077475
I missed this when you first commented. I’d be down for this. My wife? Not so much.
Drew
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by ajax87 »

jkbarnes wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:33 pm
Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 3:57 pm You should have stayed here…

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-wales-66077475
…I’d be down for this….
Well I’d say you’d have to be WAY down for this…
These users thanked the author ajax87 for the post:
jkbarnes
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster mk40|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
Gar787
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 7

Post by Gar787 »

jkbarnes wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 2:21 pm
tikkathree wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 2:05 pm but actually people either can parallel park (that's what we call it here) or they really really can't.

…It's a canny look. I was fooled all the way to Mount Olympus hahaha!
I’ve parallel parked twice now, and it was miserable both times. I’m good at it normally, but being on the opposite side of the car has completely thrown me off. I probably looked ridiculous trying to shoe horn this car into a spot! :lol:

As for my camera, it was modeled on the OM, hence the name OM-D! I love it. In terms of sensor size and features, it’s quite old by digital standards. It still takes fabulous pics and meets all my needs, so I’m in no rush to upgrade. I bought a grip for it that enhances functionality quite a bit. I’ve got part of that grip on now. I left the second attachment, that adds an additional battery and adds a vertical shutter release at home for this trip. And I limited myself to one lens, a 35mm equivalent.
I’m not sure how long the trip is, Drew but I’m enjoying the updates…keep ‘em coming. A bit late now, but the cheapest fuel you can buy is at Costco…if you’re a member and have brought your card? Avoid Waitrose…Lidl & Aldi are cheaper for food and canoes!
These users thanked the author Gar787 for the post:
Amor Vincit Omnia
PHIL
Amor Vincit Omnia

Gar787 wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 6:37 am Avoid Waitrose…Lidl & Aldi are cheaper for food and canoes!
Phil, that reminds me of the old joke from early lockdown days when supermarkets were limiting items.

Tesco, two toilet rolls and one hand sanitiser

Asda, two toilet rolls and two hand sanitisers

Aldi, one set of camping cutlery and two snorkel masks

Waitrose, one lobster and two bottles of Dom Pérignon
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post (total 2):
JAFOGar787
Steve

jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

The Waitrose comments are killing me! :lol: The clientele at the Waitrose we stopped in did not match with how everyone is describing Waitrose at all.
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post:
Murphy20
Drew
Murphy20
Senior
Senior

Post by Murphy20 »

jkbarnes wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 7:52 am The Waitrose comments are killing me! :lol: The clientele at the Waitrose we stopped in did not match with how everyone is describing Waitrose at all.
We very occasionally pick up some bits in our local Waitrose, and we’re not remotely posh. I have a minor aversion to shellfish (although I am fond of champagne) and have periodically been known to watch Love Island :-)

I’ll get my coat.

I’ve been following your UK travel adventures with interest, and am glad to hear you’re having a great time. Good weather forecast in the coming days too.
These users thanked the author Murphy20 for the post:
jkbarnes
Selfhood begins with a walking away, and love is proved in the letting go.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Concerning Waitrose, we’ve got a similar pecking order with grocery stores back home. I find myself mostly shopping at the one in the same category as Waitrose here. Primarily, it’s because of the convenience of the location - I pass right by it on my way home from work. There’s another store that’s actually closer to me, but I inevitably get p*ssed off about something every time I stop in. Over the last view months I’ve increasingly found myself doing a chunk of my shopping at the grocery store near my wife. The prices are great compared to my normal place, but unfortunately there isn’t one near me.
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post (total 2):
RichMMurphy20
Drew
RichM
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by RichM »

Here's a link here to a very funny page called "Overheard in Waitrose".

https://www.thepoke.co.uk/2017/03/22/45 ... you-laugh/

Here's an example:

‘Daddy does lego have a silent ‘T’, like merlot?’
These users thanked the author RichM for the post (total 3):
missFMurphy20nbg
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

My wife wouldn't live anywhere where there wasn't a local Waitrose or M&S Food (or John Lewis).
These users thanked the author Mikkei4 for the post:
Murphy20