'Scuse the cr@ppy iPhone pics???

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

'Scuse the cr@ppy iPhone pics???

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

I seem to remember reading the above, or similar, quite frequently. As a recent convert to the iPhone (I bought a 5S last month) I am not seeing much difference. Almost all of my photographs over the last couple of years have been made with an iPad, which seems to have a pretty good all-purpose camera. Uploading from the iPhone via Tapatalk seems pretty nearly as good.

I posted this on the CWOTD thread earlier, no editing. Looks OK to me.
C3 MkI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
blowfish89
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
LE-three: yes

Re: 'Scuse the cr@ppy iPhone pics???

Post by blowfish89 »

The iphone 5S is pretty old now, to be fair. What model is your ipad?
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Air (work)
Mini 2 (personal)

I know the 5S is an older model but it's a nice size. The point is that even on that the quality seems OK. My Nokia was a better camera (12 mp) but it was antiquated Internet-wise!
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
blowfish89
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by blowfish89 »

iPhone cameras have always been very good :)
nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

My iPhone6 takes pretty good pictures most of the time and sometimes better than my $800 Sony camera. Of course you don't have any control over shutter speed and aperture but it takes good pictures in good light conditions.
jmarchitect
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jmarchitect »

I think it is just one of those self deprecating sayings that people use just in case their photographs are compared unfavourably to the more polished photographs that are often posted. Taking that concept a step further, there are some people that will put themselves down to provoke a positive response. 'Excuse my photographs. They were taken in a hurry and are really crap.' 'Not at all dear chap, they are splendid!'

I don't see the point in saying such a thing. If I want to sell something, I will take the best photographs I can. I also agree with sentiments that the iphone cameras are very good.
smegwina
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 11

Post by smegwina »

jmarchitect wrote:I think it is just one of those self deprecating sayings that people use just in case their photographs are compared unfavourably to the more polished photographs that are often posted. Taking that concept a step further, there are some people that will put themselves down to provoke a positive response. 'Excuse my photographs. They were taken in a hurry and are really crap.' 'Not at all dear chap, they are splendid!'

I don't see the point in saying such a thing. If I want to sell something, I will take the best photographs I can. I also agree with sentiments that the iphone cameras are very good.
Agree, I do think though that there are extremely accomplished photographers and accordingly there is a perceived quality that many feel they should be achieving.

All my photos are unaltered, taken on a phone and are not to the quality of most others. That is not the end of the world, and I make no apologies for that.

However, sometimes (such as yesterday) in uploading the photo, you notice things, such as the drill dust all over my watch. I did apologise as I could not be bothered to take photo again! :)

Virtually all the photos on here are of a quality that I enjoy!

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

I too have found the Samsung S6 camera to be far better than my regular camera. I rarely use the Ipad for photos, but they are okay if you have plenty of light.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
smegwina
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 11

Post by smegwina »

Double post
gwells
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by gwells »

i think if you're comparing the same generation (i.e., released around the same time), the iphone camera will always beat the ipad camera. it has in my case.

iphones/ipads can take decent photos. better every generation. sometimes a little better, sometimes a lot.

but people confuse the ability to take great pictures with the ability to own great equipment. better equipment can make it easier, but great pictures are born from the right light, the right framing and situation, and a good eye.

good photographers generally find it insulting when people say, "that's a great picture, you must have a really good camera." good gear can help you capture an image, but it's not what makes it.

if someone went up to eric clapton and said, "that song sounded really good, you must have a really nice guitar," they'd sound like an idiot. he could make my first $100 beginner guitar playing through a $15 amp sound good. you could hand me $10k worth of guitar/amp and i'd still sound like an amateur next to him.

same goes with camera gear and photos.
the "g" is for Greg...
gwells
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by gwells »

that said, we did professional photography of our new office last week. i was art directing (which meant i put 15k steps on my fitbit without leaving our 30k SF office). and i *loved* his ungodly expensive phase one camera. he still could have captured great photos with a nikon, but that phase 1 4x5 medium format camera is absolutely cool as hell.
the "g" is for Greg...
tempusmaximus
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by tempusmaximus »

I have always found my iphone camera takes decent pictures , after i have taken many pictures and picked the best . :lol:
Bernie
7ee
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by 7ee »

I think camera phone pics are fine these days, I guess the comments stem from watch forums full of what must be professional photographers (I'm sure we're all familiar with the old dark room pics with a passport and some leatherwork and usually a knife in the background? :D). Alot of the time the pics look better than what you find in publications.