Saint George

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
bspj
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Saint George

Post by bspj »

George, saint and martyr is the patron saint of England* and is usually celebrated on 23 April. However it is Easter Week and so the church has decided to celebrate Saint George on 28 April.
In consequence, some of us elected to have our flags raised to celebrate Shakespeare's birthday!
* He is also featured on the cap badge of one of our finest regiments.
Steve
Ceegee
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Re: Saint George

Post by Ceegee »

Saw this on Twitter thought I'd share in honour of the patron saint of England

ddav
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by ddav »

Don't forget that although he is " our " patron saint he is also plenty of others too including Portugal and Georgia. Not bad for a boy from Palestine.
C600IPB 101, C7O cosc 009/300, C8 IPK 004 ,C11 Makaira Pro 006.
W11 Amelia , Emily Double Tour (The Wife)
ddav
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by ddav »

bspj wrote:George, saint and martyr is the patron saint of England* and is usually celebrated on 23 April. However it is Easter Week and so the church has decided to celebrate Saint George on 28 April.
In consequence, some of us elected to have our flags raised to celebrate Shakespeare's birthday!
* He is also featured on the cap badge of one of our finest regiments.
He (Shakespeare ) also died on the 23rd.
Ceegee
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Ceegee »

ddav wrote:Don't forget that although he is " our " patron saint he is also plenty of others too including Portugal and Georgia. Not bad for a boy from Palestine.
Indeed. Including the city of Barcelona. A great place to be on Saint Jordi's day :thumbup: was there this day many years ago. They celebrate with style. Gifts are traditionally given, a rose for the ladies and a book for the fellas. Perhaps I should make a point of visiting more St George's day cities on the 23rd April :D
theaub
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by theaub »

Question: why do our English cousins not generally celebrate their national day with the same vigour as the rest of us do ours in the UK? St David's Day is huge in Wales.
ddav
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by ddav »

theaub wrote:Question: why do our English cousins not generally celebrate their national day with the same vigour as the rest of us do ours in the UK? St David's Day is huge in Wales.
Is it because we're all too busy pretending to be Irish on St Patricks day?
bspj
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by bspj »

Ceegee wrote:Saw this on Twitter thought I'd share in honour of the patron saint of England

My word!
Steve
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Post by welshlad »

Being Welsh I don't have much interest in St George's Day, except that I first met my wife on St George's Day 15 years ago, so that's a good reason to celebrate! :) And she's English, but don't tell anyone that! :shock:
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
jmarchitect
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jmarchitect »

ddav wrote:
theaub wrote:Question: why do our English cousins not generally celebrate their national day with the same vigour as the rest of us do ours in the UK? St David's Day is huge in Wales.
I used to celebrate both but now I only celebrate St Patrick's. Getting inebriated with my celtic brethren is fun and acceptable. Doing the same in a pub full of shaven headed football hooligans, most of whom think it is de rigueur to own an angry dog with testicles the size of water melons and who speak in racist chants is no fun at all.
theaub
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by theaub »

welshlad wrote:Being Welsh I don't have much interest in St George's Day, except that I first met my wife on St George's Day 15 years ago, so that's a good reason to celebrate! :) And she's English, but don't tell anyone that! :shock:
That's OK - my wife's Irish, which makes my life interesting. After 35 years of marriage I'm still trying to understand some of her colloquialisms.
theaub
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by theaub »

jmarchitect wrote:
ddav wrote:
I used to celebrate both but now I only celebrate St Patrick's. Getting inebriated with my celtic brethren is fun and acceptable. Doing the same in a pub full of shaven headed football hooligans, most of whom think it is de rigueur to own an angry dog with testicles the size of water melons and who speak in racist chants is no fun at all.
That's Eton and Harrow for you...
Cirrus
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Cirrus »

I don't generally celebrate any Saints' days - I don't see the point in them, unless you are a believer in the institution that declared them as such.

I did have a few pints of Guinness on St. Patrick's day, but I would have done that anyway ;)
“The church says the earth is flat, but I know that it is round, for I have seen the shadow on the moon, and I have more faith in a shadow than in the church” - Fernão de Magalhães
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jtc »

Please, no more excuses for people to put flags out from their bedroom windows! :)
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex
Cirrus
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Cirrus »

I've just been informed that - according to the Church(es) - today isn't St. George's Day. It has been moved to the 28th to avoid Easterness...

I was unaware they did this.
“The church says the earth is flat, but I know that it is round, for I have seen the shadow on the moon, and I have more faith in a shadow than in the church” - Fernão de Magalhães