Rugby World Cup

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
sproughton
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Re: Rugby World Cup

Post by sproughton »

Thought Wales threw it away a bit in the end, alongside one baffling TMO decision per side.

I did have a little chuckle that Argentina's first try was scored as Biggar was giving a gob-full to the referee.

First half of this Ireland - New Zealand game was a belter. Let's hope for more of the same in the second half.
These users thanked the author sproughton for the post:
strapline
sproughton
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by sproughton »

And it did not disappoint.

I really didn't see that coming. Thought Ireland would've defended better than that, but you can't take anything from the All Blacks, they can turn it on when they need to.
These users thanked the author sproughton for the post:
strapline
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Incredible game…what a finish. That should have been the final.
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post:
strapline
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by TheBeatles »

So far, so good.

Got both results I wanted,
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

TheBeatles wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 9:54 pm So far, so good.

One better than me then!

Who do you want to see in the final?

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

What an incredible second QF. That’s one of the best tests I’ve ever seen. Gave new meaning to the word ‘test’, it was a test of bodies and will with NZ edging it. Congrats to the All Blacks, you earned that win.

Des
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
sproughton
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by sproughton »

I'm very fortunate that I have tickets to both semi finals, but there's a danger that they're both going to be heavily one sided. World Rugby have to have a serious think about alternative approaches to seeding before the 2027 edition
welshlad
CW-watches: 24

Post by welshlad »

That was a fantastic game of rugby. Super high quality.

Ireland played extremely well. I'm sure it will take a while to get over this one. :(
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by TheBeatles »

nbg wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 10:13 pm
TheBeatles wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 9:54 pm So far, so good.

One better than me then!

Who do you want to see in the final?

Neil
England vs France, but unlikely

Probably France vs NZ

As an aside, I love the Haka. But cannot understand why NZ are allowed to psyche themselves up and opponents just have to stand there and take it.

I get that it’s a challenge being thrown down but if I remember correctly, many years ago (it may have been England), a team advanced on NZ to the half way line to accept challenge. But were castigated for being too aggressive!!!

Doesn’t seem fair, but it’s a great spectacle.
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by strapline »

sproughton wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 10:33 pm I'm very fortunate that I have tickets to both semi finals, but there's a danger that they're both going to be heavily one sided. World Rugby have to have a serious think about alternative approaches to seeding before the 2027 edition
First off, congrats on having those two tickets; you'll see some great rugby at an amazing event. The draw was certainly off, which is definitely becoming apparent. As much as I like the AB's I'd still like to see a northern hemisphere win. France have a tough match but they'll have immense support against SA. A France NZ final will be some spectacle, if indeed that is the outcome.

Des
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

sproughton wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 10:33 pm I'm very fortunate that I have tickets to both semi finals, but there's a danger that they're both going to be heavily one sided. World Rugby have to have a serious think about alternative approaches to seeding before the 2027 edition
That's the way of sport. The football world cup often does the same. One half of the draw becomes much easier with a few unexpected results. How else wil England win it?

Tennis and snooker often have "easy" halves when a few seeds get knocked out, and one player appears to get a very easy path to the final as a result.
Amor Vincit Omnia

TheBeatles wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 7:13 am As an aside, I love the Haka. But cannot understand why NZ are allowed to psyche themselves up and opponents just have to stand there and take it.

I get that it’s a challenge being thrown down but if I remember correctly, many years ago (it may have been England), a team advanced on NZ to the half way line to accept challenge. But were castigated for being too aggressive!!!

Doesn’t seem fair, but it’s a great spectacle.
France vs NZ, 2007 QF - Seb Chabal, what a monster! :shock:

2011 Final - dubbed the GOAT Haka

It’s come a long way since this one: vs. Ba-Baas, early 70s?

Steve

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

Thanks @Amor Vincit Omnia - a great breakdown of what the haka is all about. The ‘old boys’ haka was so cringy! But I love the jump at the end.

Edit : and I think that Chabal was simply a haka of one…
Amor Vincit Omnia

RWC FINALS

The stats are quite interesting. So far there have been nine finals, contested by five teams, and each team has appeared in at least three finals. South Africa are the only team out of the five who have never lost the final.

Despite Northern Hemisphere sides appearing in seven of the nine finals (either England or France, and they have never met in the final) there has only been one win – England in 2003.

England or New Zealand have played in eight of the nine finals (four each) but have never met in the final. England have always played either Australia or South Africa.

South Africa - P3, W3, L0
New Zealand - P4, W3, L1
Australia - P4, W2, L2
England - P4, W1, L3
France - P3, W0, L3

History is against France, but maybe this year will be different. Big game tonight vs. SA!
Steve

strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by strapline »

^^ ^^
Enjoyed looking at those stats, interesting reading. It’s hard to believe that France have never won one despite playing in three. And England only have one win despite playing in four. I’m sure this is not lost on the French. No better time for that first win than when you’re hosting the tournament.

Des