Rugby World Cup

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Re: Rugby World Cup

Post by strapline »

That was such a dominant performance from the Irish last night, almost perfect rugby in the first forty minutes. It was over as a contest by half time. I actually felt sorry for the Scotts, they never really got a chance to get going. Very, very clinical indeed; Ireland will need more of that next weekend.

Des
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by TheBeatles »

strapline wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 7:29 am
TheBeatles wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 6:53 pm I hate the scrums in International Rugby. Such a waste of time. So many resets.
There's always rugby league! :lol:

Des
Rugby League, quite like watching……but

I hate the ref keep shouting Moooooovvvvvve, at each tackle. They’re professionals, for God’s sake, they know that!!!

As for RU scrums, whatever happened to the straight put in? When was the last time a scrum went against the head, used to be a stat. But now impossible to achieve. Anyway, nearly always end up with a penalty or free kick. Boring and time wasting in the extreme.

Rant over, coffee quite strong this morning. Got to relax and get my head in the game, 80% off eBay selling fees this weekend. Items/watches to photograph and list.
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Without being unkind, and despite the hype and the fact that Scotland lost key players early on, the Irish win was quite predictable. I do think the QF vs. New Zealand will be a cracker.

In many ways the most interesting tie of the weekend should be Argentina vs. Japan. Winner takes all for qualification – I expect Welsh supporters will be looking on with interest. I can’t see Fiji slipping up against Portugal.

As we have said all along, it’s a very imbalanced draw. Two teams from England, Wales, Argentina, Japan and Fiji are guaranteed to make semis. Two teams from Ireland, France, South Africa and New Zealand are going home after the quarters.

In either Pool C or D Scotland would have stood a good chance. They could certainly have beaten England or Australia.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
welshlad
CW-watches: 24

Post by welshlad »

I thought Ireland were awesome last night. The Irish, New Zealand and France seem a class apart in this tournament. As AVO says, the QF between Ireland and NZ will be titanic next weekend.

I think it might be quite close between Fiji and Portugal later, as Fiji may get nervous as they get close to the line. Portugal are a very well drilled team. But I do want Fiji to win, as they play such attractive rugby and deserve some reward. They are also best placed to bear England next week. ;)
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by strapline »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 10:22 am Without being unkind, and despite the hype and the fact that Scotland lost key players early on, the Irish win was quite predictable. I do think the QF vs. New Zealand will be a cracker.
The win might have been heavily favoured, from a betting point of view, but not the manner of the win. For the top ranked team in the world to dominate the fifth ranked team in that manner was quite something. Next weeks QF's are gonna be quite something. Both games will reward the viewer, from the most occasional rugby watcher to the rugby stalwart.

Des
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

Ireland were certainly very impressive in putting Scotland's chances to bed, not entirely unexpectedly.

I'd class Ireland, NZ, France and SA as a class apart. Yes Ireland beat SA but it was close and had SA not missed a few relatively easy kicks the score might have been different.

The business end of the tournament starting next weekend should be interesting.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Amor Vincit Omnia

What a game! Portugal were brilliant. And the result and losing BP give the best possible outcome: a win for Portugal, Fiji through, Aussies on the plane!

Força Lobos! :D
Steve

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
welshlad

Post by welshlad »

Brilliant game! Well done Portugal!

Fiji should be OK next Sunday though, as England aren't as good as Portugal. ;)
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

welshlad wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 10:59 pm Brilliant game! Well done Portugal!

Fiji should be OK next Sunday though, as England aren't as good as Portugal. ;)
Yep England will have to play better to beat Wales, when they play them in the final :D

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by strapline »

Only saw the first half of the Fiji/Portugal match. The second half must have been a thriller. So it's knock out rugger all the way now.

Shall we play a little game now? Who would you like to see in the final, and who do you think will actually make the final? I certainly think the left side of the draw, pool A and B is a lot harder to predict than pool C and D. Any of the four remaining teams from group A and B have the quality to make the final; that isn't the case from the other half of the draw imo.

Des
Amor Vincit Omnia

Well now, much as I would love to see England play and beat either Wales or Ireland in the final, I don’t see it.

In the two “big” quarter finals, I think France will have too much for South Africa, but I’m more concerned for Ireland – I know they can beat the ABs, but it’s going to be a massive test.

I think England and Wales will go through, but they won’t beat their semifinal opponents.

Deep breath – Ireland and France in the final, Ireland to win by a score.
Steve

welshlad

Post by welshlad »

I would like it to be Wales v Fiji in the final, but that's pretty unlikely.

It's hard to call the Ireland v NZ quarter final, but I have a sneaky feeling that NZ will win that, so my final prediction is France v NZ, with France prevailing.
The Snakes Hand
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 2

Post by The Snakes Hand »

I would like the final to be the same two teams as the the first game of the world cup: France v New Zealand. And I wouldn't mind France beating NZ for the second time in a row.

However I think that Ireland will beat NZ in their quarter final. So I will go for France v Ireland in the final, with Ireland for the win like in the last 6 nations.
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by strapline »

Hi mods, sorry but I'm not au fait with uploading these YouTube vids either. Please can you tidy this up so it works. - Sorted for you Des. :wink: :wink:

Anyway this is the current thinking in Ireland about World Cup outcomes. My lips are tightly sealed.

Last edited by Bahnstormer_vRS on Mon Oct 09, 2023 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed YouTube links; need to be www.youtube.com/watch?v=. . . . (not youtu.be/)
sproughton
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by sproughton »

I think Ireland are a better side than the All Blacks. Obviously the ABs can turn up and turn it on even when they haven't been playing their best, but I can see the Ireland defence dealing with them.

If it's decided on form, it's an Ireland win. Plus of course Ireland have masses of experiences of world cup quarter finals :silent: