Rugby World Cup

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
Noush
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Re: Rugby World Cup

Post by Noush »

Australia's performance in this tournament has been rubbish, as expected.
Things tend to go in cycles, but we've been at the bottom of one for a very long time.

I'm a round ball football fan: we're not so great at that either, but in the World Cup at least made it through the group stage.
Chris
"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans" : John Lennon.
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 7:39 am I was feeling a bit lethargic yesterday after Saturday’s Covid jab, so it was great to sprawl on the sofa and watch plenty of rugby.

Great results all round for the British Isles teams. OK, the opposition was poor, but Wales and Scotland both played outstandingly.
Great to see the British Isles teams come through with excellent outcomes. I could only watch the first half of the Aus v Wales match. You can imagine my surprise when I woke this morning to see the final score. Wales look likely to progress to the QF's, it's gonna be a much tougher ask for Scotland. The draw certainly wasn't kind to them.

Des
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

More interesting results! I didn’t expect England to qualify first with a game to spare, but of course other results went their way. It looks like they’ll play Fiji which could be an interesting game.

The All Blacks are proving that wounded animals can be dangerous. Ireland will need their best game, I think.

Wales versus either Argentina or Samoa - should be interesting.

France and South Africa should be quite a game as well...unless Scotland pull off something remarkable. I shall be rooting for Les Bleus - we really need a Northern Hemisphere winner.
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post:
strapline
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by strapline »

There are some incredible matches to be played out yet. Ireland just need to keep doing what they're doing. They've already beaten the current world champs in the group stage. They also beat the Kiwis in their own back yard in a three match series. From the QF's the pressure ramps up for all who remain. In previous World Cups the public struggled to expect anything other than a southern hemisphere win. I think the winner welcome from the northern hemisphere this year.

Des
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

Belatedly a couple of photos from my trip to Nice to see Scotland Tonga. A great occasion to be at, there must have been c 25,000 of my fellow countrymen at the match, great atmosphere and a good performance too.

I’m not particularly confident for tonight’s match against Ireland. It still feels a tough break when some teams seem to have a fairly easy road to at least the semi finals!

Hopefully our GOAT, Finn Russell, has a great game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author Thegreyman for the post:
Bahnstormer_vRS
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

Nice looks nice for October.

I have to check on line to see what stage they've reached. Seems to be going on and on. The only shock seems to be Australia struggling.
Amor Vincit Omnia

@Thegreyman Nice pics, especially the Prom’ Des Anglais (not such a good name if you’re Scottish!)

FR, GOAT? Matter of opinion, obviously, and it’s dangerous to compare players of different eras in rugby especially, because the game has changed so much. John Rutherford was a genius at 10, and Gregor wasn’t bad. :wink:
Steve

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thegreyman »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 11:13 am @Thegreyman Nice pics, especially the Prom’ Des Anglais (not such a good name if you’re Scottish!)

FR, GOAT? Matter of opinion, obviously, and it’s dangerous to compare players of different eras in rugby especially, because the game has changed so much. John Rutherford was a genius at 10, and Gregor wasn’t bad. :wink:
I'm not anti-English so I don't mind the name....although I do refer to it as the road along the Bay of Angels :wink:

Yes we have had a few other great number 10's as you've mentioned. I think Finn is the most mercurial and likely to produce the unexpected....might not be enough to overcome the Irish though. I do wish that Stuart Hogg hadn't "retired" as Blair Kinghorn not in his class at full back.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thegreyman »

JAFO wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 10:47 am Nice looks nice for October.

I have to check on line to see what stage they've reached. Seems to be going on and on. The only shock seems to be Australia struggling.
It was end Sept when I took the photos but yes weather was much nicer than here. Particularly this weekend as we are getting three weeks of rain in 24 hours here :problem:

The RWC group stages complete this weekend....which will decide the quarter final line ups (for next weekend).
Patrick

Amor Vincit Omnia

Take nothing away from Samoa, they are playing really well. But how the hell did England win that group with a game to spare? They’re dreadful.
Steve

sproughton
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by sproughton »

This is a poor England team with very little identify. Tough to understand how they're trying to play - despite how bad we were before he was sacked (and how bad he's been with Australia) I don't think we'd have been this bad under Eddie Jones.

Farrel playing really inhibits Ford too.
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TheBeatles »

I hate the scrums in International Rugby. Such a waste of time. So many resets.

Why don’t they stop the clock!!
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
sproughton
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by sproughton »

TheBeatles wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 6:53 pm I hate the scrums in International Rugby. Such a waste of time. So many resets.

Why don’t they stop the clock!!
I think this is one of the key things that will stop rugby (union) from growing. It's tedious enough when you know what's going on; must be awful for people just watching a game because it's on in the pub.
welshlad
CW-watches: 24

Post by welshlad »

I love scrums.

Also, England play so much better without Farrell. It's been the same for years. Why does he still get picked?

I will be supporting Scotland this evening, my second team.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by strapline »

TheBeatles wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 6:53 pm I hate the scrums in International Rugby. Such a waste of time. So many resets.
There's always rugby league! :lol:

Des