Request for constructive criticism for GPF Diver #1

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
Greatpotfarm
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 0

Request for constructive criticism for GPF Diver #1

Post by Greatpotfarm »

Thank you all for the advice on my last request for criticism. I was hoping I would receive help, and that's just what I got. So here's another, this one just finished last week. It's the details that matter (often I don't notice them), so don't be shy, speak your mind.

I call it Diver #1 because, well, it's the first sub 100 meter time gage I have put together.

The 45mm case was donated by a Croton quartz diver. Stainless steel, 20 atmos, 24mm lugs.
The bezel has a thick cast aluminum insert that I initially wanted to skeletonize. I decided not to do that, and turned it into an engraving exercise instead. I went with a repeating and mirroring pattern of coral branches (that's what the squiggles are supposed to represent) between the five minute marks, which in turn I made deep and double faceted. The engraved lows in the first 20 minutes are inked in red, while the rest are inked in purple. I added a little drop of lume on the periphery of the first 5 5minute markers.

The finish on the ring dial is metallic gray. I applied it sparingly, just enough to cover the main body but leave a subtle transition to the exposed brass edge. The brass hour markers started out as settings for pocket watch ruby bearings. I popped the jewels out, reamed the holes larger and filled them with lume. They are half inlayed and epoxied through the dial plate. Their finish is 600 grit brush. A little more engraving+inking was practiced on the logo plate below 12 o'clock.
The hands are very unusual. They are made out of black coral branches (which is why I decided to engrave coral branches on the bezel). It took four unsuccessful attempts before I figured out how to sand flat, cut , drill, lume and polish the coral. I decided to keep the organic shape of the little branches in the finished product. You can actually see a the beginning of a smaller branch growing off the minute hand.
The movement is a Seagull ty2807SV, selfwinding and custom inked by me.

When I build a time gage like this, I have a tendency to concentrate on certain details, and not pay enough mind, or completely ignore others. I hope your discerning eye will be able to point out shortcomings and potential improvements. I want my next creation to be better.

IMG_20221120_112338001~2.jpg
IMG_20221120_112203373_HDR~3.jpg
IMG_20221120_112352272_HDR~2.jpg
Top of the minute to you all,
Dan
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Re: Request for constructive criticism for GPF Diver #1

Post by iain »

Dan

A lot about this watch comes down to personal taste and it’s not something I would wear myself. I’m not going to comment on the look you are going for as I accept I’m not your target market.

The main thing with this is the hands for me. They look short and the black doesn’t really stand out. I do accept that’s due to your choice of material but they might be better saved for a smaller lighter dialled watch.

I’m looking at the script for the logo again and wondering if it’s worth taking the time to make some tooling to help you. Could you make up some sort of stencil out of metal you could use when engraving the GPF to give the letters a more uniform finish? I suspect they are being done freehand at the moment but are still much better than they would be than if I’d have engraved them, however the use of a tool could help you improve here for future watches. The stalk on the P looks a lot thicker then the rest of the letters but I’m not sure if this is by design.

Other than that for me it just comes down to honing your skills and each watch you complete will be better than the last as you gain more experience and practice with your techniques.

Well done again and thanks for sharing.
These users thanked the author iain for the post:
Greatpotfarm
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
asqwerth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by asqwerth »

I think you did a good job on the coral etchings on the bezel. I really like it, but would have preferred them coloured in black.

I admit I don't really like the way the whole inside of the case looks. I know this is an experimental piece made to practise and hone various skills and techniques - and I could never do what you are able to - but if I take that out of the equation and just consider this watch by itself, I think there is too much going on.

First, there is the purple and red colouring on the bridges that aren't for me, and don't go well with the rest of the black skeletonised bridges, dark grey dial rehaut and big round markers. The purple layer of paint is also not consistently applied at certain points.

The hour and minutes hands are too short (as already stated in the post above), and don't match the style of the seconds hand. They are also not easy to see in front of the black skeletonised bridges. Well done (and way cool!) being able to make hands out of coral, but their length/style/colour make the time not that easy to read.

The filling of the hands and markers with lume is neatly done, though I'm not sure about those drops of lume in the 0-20min part of the bezel.

And finally, the busy dial and elements have to compete with an already elaborate bezel. I have a vintage Longines with an elaborate patterned/textured bezel, but the rest of the dial and hands are kept simple (post923428.html#p923428). IMHO, that's a good balance.

Good luck as you continue your watch-making/modding journey.
These users thanked the author asqwerth for the post:
Greatpotfarm
C5As~FLE12R~W61~C60GMT~FLE15~SC
Orion33/Tetra2~BallEH~Montblanc~Tudor BB36~Archimede36~Damasko~Revue T~BremontSolo37~MJW
Vintage~Bulova23~Polerouter~Wittnauer~Longines~Omega~Soumar~Eterna~Gruen

Quartz~Matisse~FLE17~Ebel~Citizen
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Wow; this is most enterprising. :clap: :clap:

I've only now been able to look at it carefully on my Laptop screen (as opposed to phone) and it makes a world of difference to being able to see the detail.

Succinct comments, meant in a constructive manner, very much along those already made;-

1. The bezel, the design of the engraving is great.

2. The watch overall is clearly a bit wacky and out there but that's no bad thing.

3. My only gripe is the hands. I appreciate what you have tried to do using natural material but they need to be a tad longer, not by much, but more importantly more legible; might you be able to use a white / cream coloured raw material?

4. Final point, your Logo. I appreciate that you are presumably hand engraving this, and thus it looks a little 'wobbly'. Have you thought of combining the G P F into kind of a signature, as used on, say, a signet ring with the three letters entwined into one (hopefully that makes sense).

Guy
These users thanked the author Bahnstormer_vRS for the post:
Greatpotfarm
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Greatpotfarm
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 0

Post by Greatpotfarm »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:05 am My only gripe is the hands. I appreciate what you have tried to do using natural material but they need to be a tad longer, not by much, but more importantly more legible
asqwerth wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:33 pm The hour and minutes hands are too short (as already stated in the post above), and don't match the style of the seconds hand. They are also not easy to see in front of the black skeletonised bridges. Well done (and way cool!) being able to make hands out of coral, but their length/style/colour make the time not that easy to read.
iain wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:36 am The main thing with this is the hands for me. They look short and the black doesn’t really stand out. I do accept that’s due to your choice of material but they might be better saved for a smaller lighter dialled watch.
It seems that this watch, same as my previous one, is suffering from two concurred ailments:
1. Short hands / hard to make out hands
2. Shorthand (script :) )

I looked through the other gages I have not sold yet, and found another with the same issues.

The script is, and will be getting better as I practice my engraving. Stencils are not really an option with engraving ( graver sides are sharp and would cut into stencil) but maybe a stamp dye...
The hands could be one or 2 mills longer. That way there would be more lume (which is what I was counting on for contrast against the movement, hence readability).

Thanks you three for taking the time for a proper look over and for responding with your honest opinions, recommendations and insights.
Top of the minute to you all,
Dan