Rekindling the love for a watch?

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Rekindling the love for a watch?

Post by iain »

Reading the post from Steve about how he has rekindled his love for his Meistersinger has got me thinking. Has anyone else managed to turnaround their feelings for a watch they previously fell out with and if so how did you do it?

Personally I have always been of the opinion that if a watch didn’t work for whatever reason then it was time to let it go. I can’t think of one single time where I have fell out of love with a watch only to later regret selling it.

There have been times with watches when I have preferred others in my collection, but when I put the watch on again I know why I bought it and why I love it. This doesn’t really count as falling out with the watch though.

I’m trying to decide what to do with one of my watches that has fallen out of favour. Can I bring it back from the brink or do I simply let it go? The decision is harder with this one than it should be or has ever been before.
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Re: Rekindling the love for a watch?

Post by missF »

I’m not this applies to your out of favour watch, but for me the first move is to replace the strap. Often a powerful way to reconnect because we all know it can make you feel like you have a whole new watch.

Also, for me, I have to wear the watch in order to decide whether it’s back in favour. No use looking at a dead cold watch in its box and thinking ‘it feels dead to me’.

For me, at the moment, with the mark xvi on my wrist all the time, it’s easy to feel that the C11 might be falling out of favour again. But I suspect that once I put it on again I’ll be loving it as much as ever.
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

Added - for a watch that is making this a difficult decision can you stash it in the back of a cupboard for a few months? It might feel like it has left your collection and you could take stock of how you feel about that.
These users thanked the author missF for the post:
tikkathree
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

Thanks for your thoughts Lindsey. The watch in question is one I intended as an exclusively bracelet watch, I’m not convinced a new strap would really be enough.

Regarding putting it away for a while. My watch box is quite small right now as I only have 5 watches and one of those is away for repair. Even with only 4 to choose from each day, I keep passing this one over. I’m not sure if that gives me my answer or not.
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by tikkathree »

iain wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 9:40 am Reading the post from Steve about how he has rekindled his love for his Meistersinger has got me thinking. Has anyone else managed to turnaround their feelings for a watch they previously fell out with and if so how did you do it?

Personally I have always been of the opinion that if a watch didn’t work for whatever reason then it was time to let it go. I can’t think of one single time where I have fell out of love with a watch only to later regret selling it.

There have been times with watches when I have preferred others in my collection, but when I put the watch on again I know why I bought it and why I love it. This doesn’t really count as falling out with the watch though.

I’m trying to decide what to do with one of my watches that has fallen out of favour. Can I bring it back from the brink or do I simply let it go? The decision is harder with this one than it should be or has ever been before.
This final remark is telling for me. I think you should keep it and let time help you to decide.

I've flipped individual watches out because, well maybe familiarity bred contempt, and I've been able to replace them with the same model. On particular watch, the last ever C6 Kingfisher I was totally silly to let go and I doubt that I'll ever get it back. With hindsight I should have tucked it away in the sock drawer. So, regardless of its limited book value I was a fool to let go the last ever in that line when that watch had been scratch-built for me.
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20FLE
Some other brands
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

tikkathree wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 12:51 pm
iain wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 9:40 am Reading the post from Steve about how he has rekindled his love for his Meistersinger has got me thinking. Has anyone else managed to turnaround their feelings for a watch they previously fell out with and if so how did you do it?

This final remark is telling for me. I think you should keep it and let time help you to decide.

I've flipped individual watches out because, well maybe familiarity bred contempt, and I've been able to replace them with the same model. On particular watch, the last ever C6 Kingfisher I was totally silly to let go and I doubt that I'll ever get it back. With hindsight I should have tucked it away in the sock drawer. So, regardless of its limited book value I was a fool to let go the last ever in that line when that watch had been scratch-built for me.
I rarely set out to sell watches mainly because in general a few hundred quid wouldn't really make such a difference to me. I know I have too many watches, and I have sold a couple to buyers who were looking for that watch, and I've tended to regret it.

The problem is I keep seeing more and more watches I would like to buy, and I know it would be easy to end up with a lot of watches that are hardly ever worn. I should probably say a lot more watches that are hardly ever worn.

I imagine collectors of trainers/sneakers do the same. Why do they need so many pairs of shoes?
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

If you have a trip upcoming take it as your only watch. If not, lock the others out of sight and wear it for a couple of weeks.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

So it seems the popular answer is don’t do anything rash and see if time will win it round.

That’s certainly sensible and I do have a holiday coming up in a few months so will probably wait until after I come back before doing anything else.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

^^^^^ Ignore my last comment, decision made and the watch is on its way. The decision was reached quicker than expected when something else came up which I will definitely love more than the one on its way.
These users thanked the author iain for the post:
watchaholic
dsb18
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 4

Post by dsb18 »

JAFO wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 12:59 pm
tikkathree wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 12:51 pm

I rarely set out to sell watches mainly because in general a few hundred quid wouldn't really make such a difference to me. I know I have too many watches, and I have sold a couple to buyers who were looking for that watch, and I've tended to regret it.

The problem is I keep seeing more and more watches I would like to buy, and I know it would be easy to end up with a lot of watches that are hardly ever worn. I should probably say a lot more watches that are hardly ever worn.

I imagine collectors of trainers/sneakers do the same. Why do they need so many pairs of shoes?
Exactly my sentiment, the amount of (new) watches being produced now almost seems overwelming and I find myself trying to justify buying them, then I stop and think of all the others watches I own that I never wear, this usually brings me back down to earth.
David
Bremont MBIII, C65 Aquitaine, C63 Colchester, C63 Sealander (White and Green), Oris Diver, Omerga Seamaster 300
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

@iain

I know you've reached your decision on this Iain, but I thought I'd relate an experience that is similar to yours.

About ten years ago I bought a watch, quite a big purchase for me at the time, to mark some notable and life affecting events.

It was a top notch watch but I just didn't gel with it. Not to the point that I considered selling it, but just I didn't have the enthusiasm to wear it that I had anticipated I would.

After a few months of ownership, the Manufacturer issued a warranty recall on it to check the operation of a specific feature of which there was a potentially faulty part. It was scheduled to be away for 10-12 weeks.

This drifted out to 16 weeks or so but eventually I got my watch back.

It was a classic case of 'absence makes the heart grow fonder'. Boof. It immediately became a firm favourite and was worn often.

I subsequently sold it, to fund the purchase of something else (as one does) but, some years later I was able to buy a replacement, despite it being a sold out LE.

Guy

Sent from my XPERIA 5 III using Tapatalk
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

Thanks for your thoughts Guy.

I have been thinking for some time about this watch and the reasons behind why I feel the way I do about it. I suppose the decision to replace it has been taken as much by what its replacement is, as it is about moving on the watch.

I’ll do a post explaining my thoughts when it arrives in a couple of weeks but the incoming is linked to the outgoing so I need to tell the story as one.
These users thanked the author iain for the post:
Bahnstormer_vRS
Stuart1
Senior
Senior

Post by Stuart1 »

I have been through this with several of my watches, some have been sold others are sitting in the watch box waiting to be sold. However, in two cases there was another solution. The first I had the handset changed, after this I fell back in love. The second was getting the dial changed for a different colour variation and it worked.
Yes, it is a little more extreme but both now have a more interesting story that goes with them and they get worn.