Question regarding hand wounds

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Re: Question regarding hand wounds

Post by Thegreyman »

I have 2 hand wound - C1 Morgan SH21 (5 day PR) and a Panerai Luminor (8 day PR) so quite long PR.

I tend to fully wind on the day I first wear and then likely top up each day thereafter if I am wearing them for more than 1 day consecutively. Never had any issues.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

The only watch I have that gives hand-woonds is my auto Versace.

The crown is not screw down and the Greek key relief is quite sharp, so hand-winding the watch scrapes skin flakes off my thumb.

See the white areas in the Greek key. Icky when you realise what they are. Still, that's why you have an Oral-B tooth brush. ;D
IMG_20230927_101903269~2.jpg
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

JAFO wrote:The only watch I have that gives hand-woonds is my auto Versace.

The crown is not screw down and the Greek key relief is quite sharp, so hand-winding the watch scrapes skin flakes off my thumb.

See the white areas in the Greek key. Icky when you realise what they are. Still, that's why you have an Oral-B tooth brush. ;D
IMG_20230927_101903269~2.jpg
How's about you turn it over and wind with the caseback facing you?

It would solve your flakey skin issue and, I find, on most H/W watches, especially a Speedmaster Moonwatch, allows your thumb to get a better purchase on the crown.

Guy

Sent from my XPERIA 5 III using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author Bahnstormer_vRS for the post:
JAFO
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Thegreyman wrote:. . . . .

I tend to fully wind on the day I first wear and then likely top up each day thereafter if I am wearing them for more than 1 day consecutively. Never had any issues.
That's the way to do it. :swizzle stick: :wink: :wink:

Guy

Sent from my XPERIA 5 III using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

strapline wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:20 am
rkovars wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:52 pm
strapline wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 7:24 pm

I think it’s 58-60hrs max, Steve. When wearing I’d like to keep it more full than empty; I think that’s where the best accuracy will be.

Des
SW510 datasheet says 48. Min 34 turns when no rotor is present. Average rate +-5 sec (Elabore), 20s max deviation all positions, +- 15s/d isochronism.
Interesting, Rich! The Hanhart website lists 58, which I'm pretty sure my watch is returning. The latest Farer chronographs which use the same movement are listing 63hrs. I was just hoping for in excess of two days before having to wind again.

Des
@strapline It is looking like the datasheet at Cousins is out of date. I looked at the latest Sellita catalog (2022-2023) and indeed the SW510 M a (the a is part of the part number) has a typical reserve of 63 hours.

From the Catalog:
All of the SW510 versions are additionally available in a manual winding form (“M”). The
height of the SW510 M is only 7.00 mm compared with the 7.90 mm of the automatic
version (SW510). Due to its reduced thickness, the SW510 M makes it possible to
create thinner watches and to revive the beautiful manual winding chronographs of
yesteryear. Furthermore, the SW510 M has a long typical power reserve of 63 hours.
Finally, it features a high-end aesthetic with a three-quarter chronograph bridge adorned
with large rubies and embellished with a skeletonization allowing the chronograph wheel
to be seen.
Note the 7mm thickness.

Some other interesting info:

The SW510a is three registers - sec's, 30 mins and 12 hours. Model a has a date. Model b is a no date.

The SW510 BH is a horizontal bi-compax.

The SW510 MP is a monopusher. MPC is a monopusher in the crown.

The SW511 is a regatta timer with a 15 minute register.

The SW53x is an SW500 with a GMT hand. Of course these all come in the monopusher variants too.

The difference between the SW500 and SW510 is everything on the 500 is vertical. Three register models are at 12, 9 and 6. Where the 510 has 9, 6 and 3.

Interesting what you can learn from a catalog!
These users thanked the author rkovars for the post:
Bahnstormer_vRS
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London