Quality time with an A Lange & Sohne Master Watchmaker

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
Noush
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Quality time with an A Lange & Sohne Master Watchmaker

Post by Noush »

Today a special opportunity organised by my local watch club.
Fully an hour and a half face to face with David Weber, travelling Master Watchmaker for A. Lange & Sohne. David is one of their watchmaker trainers.

This happened at the 'Lange' Boutique in Sydney, surrounded by quite a bit of 'watch candy' :) even a couple of locked prototypes....about which lips are sealed. And side by side with Jess of the 'tube channel Aussie Wrist Watch.

To say it was an eye-widening experience is quite the understatement with plenty of loupe 'action' and explanation of the what and why of how they do things. My head is still spinning. David had some very cool things with him including a late 19th century pocket watch fully restored. I'm kicking myself I didn't do too much photo-taking. But below a pic of David at the bench and below just for gratuitous good measure the piece I would choose IF I was crazy enough to attach the value of a decent car to my wrist. 1815 Up/Down.

On David's wrist a Datograph Perpetual with tourbillon that displays on the rear of the watch. Price? If you have to ask....

IMG_0314.jpeg
IMG_9644 2.jpg
These users thanked the author Noush for the post (total 6):
Amor Vincit OmniaGar787missFPeteothomcat00Murphy20
Chris
"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans" : John Lennon.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Re: Quality time with an A Lange & Sohne Master Watchmaker

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Sounds like a great day out, Chris.

With the car analogy you are talking my kind of language. In Practical Avonomics, watches and holidays are about level, then cars and finally houses. All else is incidental.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Gar787
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 7

Post by Gar787 »

The grail brand for me. I blame Peteo, incidentally!!
PHIL
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

Wow, what a treat. I’d love to see watches like this IRL. They must glow silvery or something. I bet they’re unforgettable.

The thing I really want to ask is - did David have a big beefy bloke standing behind him the whole time with his eye on the Datograph Perpetual and a locked suitcase chained to his wrist ready to remove the watch after the demonstration and lock it away safe??? :lol:
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

Armed guards at the door, no doubt. A great experience, Chris, I'm sure. How many of your club members were able to attend? :D
Noush
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Noush »

There were indeed a couple of 'chunky boys' around the place (regular staff) but nobody chained to anything!
There are security doors and you have to be allowed in but that is normal stuff.

There were only 4 club members there for the 3-5pm session but expect there would be more for the 5-7pm session.
One of the 'clubbies' owns 2 AL&S watches but had an FP Journe on his wrist. He admitted to 'bad form' :)

Putting some of the parts under the loupe was gob-smacking. I can kinda understand the price, and the philosophy of the why is its own fascination.
We had some discussion about how all the people that make it happen were brought together/trained. David's father was one of the early trainers. David is 3rd generation of the craft.
These users thanked the author Noush for the post (total 2):
JAFOthomcat00
Chris
Greatpotfarm
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 0

Post by Greatpotfarm »

I am so jealous!!
Dan
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

Greatpotfarm wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 3:05 pm I am so jealous!!
You can watch "the nekkid watchmaker". He can teach you a thing or three. He recently rebuilt a Reverso, and costed out the true cost of buying all the equipment to do it. £53k, he said. Incredible restoration.

This. I will sort out the tags when I am on my PC.
https://youtu.be/K2wtkVGWtd8
These users thanked the author JAFO for the post:
Greatpotfarm
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

JAFO wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 3:45 pm
You can watch "the nekkid watchmaker". He can teach you a thing or three. He recently rebuilt a Reverso, and costed out the true cost of buying all the equipment to do it. £53k, he said.

I love the naked watch maker. Red Dead Restoration is good too. I like his time machine for restoring parts :lol:
These users thanked the author rkovars for the post:
Greatpotfarm
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

That sounds like a fascinating evening, lucky man!
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by thomcat00 »

Sounds like a good time! And with your club turnout you got really up close for inspection. Nice opportunity.
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
Noush
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Noush »

missF wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:31 pm They must glow silvery or something. I bet they’re unforgettable.
Here's the thing: Because it was notionally a discussion/demonstration of chronographs, I thought I'd wear my Speedy Pro to the event. Why not?
Love that watch.
But you take it off, put it in 'the tray' next to a few AL & S pieces to try some of theirs on and yeah, Omega is just playing at this caper.
It is in a different place, as you should expect of course, but it truly is.
I remember trying on a platinum piece, it is HEAVY, and thinking yes, that's because I have the equivalent of a Benz S Class on my wrist :)
Chris
Greatpotfarm
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 0

Post by Greatpotfarm »

JAFO wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 3:45 pm
You can watch "the nekkid watchmaker". He can teach you a thing or three. He recently rebuilt a Reverso, and costed out the true cost of buying all the equipment to do it. £53k, he said. Incredible restoration.

I love his sense of humor! I'll have to find some time to watch more of his videos.
Thanks for the introduction. 👍😀
Dan
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Noush wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:36 pm Here's the thing: Because it was notionally a discussion/demonstration of chronographs, I thought I'd wear my Speedy Pro to the event. Why not?
Love that watch.
But you take it off, put it in 'the tray' next to a few AL & S pieces to try some of theirs on and yeah, Omega is just playing at this caper.
It is in a different place, as you should expect of course, but it truly is.
I remember trying on a platinum piece, it is HEAVY, and thinking yes, that's because I have the equivalent of a Benz S Class on my wrist :)
I’m certainly not disputing that, but why?

If weight is a factor, give me the Altiplano Ultimate Concept any day. 23g including strap, I read somewhere. :D
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

@Noush - have you read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance? A whole treatise on quality and what it is. You can’t define it but you know when it’s there.
He talks about this silvery light that is sometimes seen around objects. He describes seeing it around a little dog. I saw it around a clump of grass and reeds when I first stepped ashore after being in the Antarctic for a year. His feeling is that this is an aspect of our vision we have lost. Way back every sentient being we encountered would have been surrounded by this light. Like an aura. But gradually our ability to see it dwindled, and accordingly the light narrowed down to a halo round the heads of saints.
Sorry for rambling but this is exactly what I think happens when we look at any item of ‘high quality’. So I was interested to hear what the experience was actually like :thumbup: