Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Re: Quality time with an A Lange & Sohne Master Watchmaker

Post by nbg »

Sounds like a great evening Chris. :thumbup:

Did the watchmaker explain that once a watch has been assembled by a watchmaker, it is then taken apart and put back together, by a second watchmaker before being shipped to the AD for sale?

Apparently that is the normal process, assuming that I wasn’t being subjected to BS by an ALS AD.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Noush
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Noush »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:44 pm
I’m certainly not disputing that, but why?

If weight is a factor, give me the Altiplano Ultimate Concept any day. 23g including strap, I read somewhere. :D
Interesting subject. The bleeding obvious on one of the prototype watches is that it contains a crazy amount of complications (David says a total of 1016 pieces!) so it is very large - I guess maybe 45mm x 17mm - and made of platinum which is very heavy stuff. So with Moonwatch in one hand, on bracelet @125g sized for me, and that in the other hand, it is really noticeable. On wrist the same.

I am not used to precious metal watches for any amount of time, just to try them on. The Moonwatch I sometimes have to check it is there, even at 125g it 'disappears'. My lightest watch (Stowa Bauhaus) is 43g on strap and it is a feather.

As to 'the Zen' of it @missF that is a bit complicated. The aesthetic of AL&S is VERY German, specific and focussed. By comparison, the Omega seems a bit 'vague' even if in isolation I dig it. In terms of finish and presentation, it gleams with real intensity. I am used to Zaratsu polishing, but this is something different again. Perhaps @Peteo can weigh in on his impressions about this.
Chris
"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans" : John Lennon.
Noush
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Noush »

nbg wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:20 pm
Did the watchmaker explain that once a watch has been assembled by a watchmaker, it is then taken apart and put back together, by a second watchmaker before being shipped to the AD for sale?

Apparently that is the normal process, assuming that I wasn’t being subjected to BS by an ALS AD.

Neil
We did talk about that and yes that is the normal process.
He also said that they have some more complicated watches, for various reasons he explained, where not all of the calibre is disassembled and re-built. In part because it can take SO long (days) and also that some complications will actually be damaged in the process. Everything will only go together once, which has to do with friction, the effects of minute temperature changes and handling, even with cots, that slightly changes the colour of the surface finish. This of course makes those calibres crazy expensive to service....

I didn't enquire as to which calibres they were. I'm quite certain that will not be an issue for me :)
These users thanked the author Noush for the post:
nbg
Chris
"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans" : John Lennon.
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by iain »

Looks like a great event you were lucky to be able to attend.

There is an ALS dealer in Leeds who also do AP, Breguet, Blancpain and Zenith. It is where I bought my El Primero from and at the time they told me they were the only ALS dealer in the UK outside London.

I did look closely at a few while I was waiting for my Zenith to be all boxed up and when you see them you really can see the quality.

I’ll never be fortunate enough to be able to afford one and if I could, I’m not sure I would want to spend that much. However I can certainly see the attraction to those that do.
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.