Precision micro engineering. Not a watch.

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
Noush
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Precision micro engineering. Not a watch.

Post by Noush »

I hope this is an interesting counterpoint for some folk.
One of the most intriguing aspects of the mechanical watch for me is the precision micro engineering that is involved.

In the audio world, the Moving Coil phono cartridge that traces the grooves of a vinyl record is another area where this kind of thing takes place.
And the prices of good ones are also in parallel. Attached pic is a Lyra Kleos, the one I use myself. Price of this one is just a bit above a Tudor Black Bay 58 on bracelet. The brand's 'Top Dog' is more than triple...

Servicing? You think a premium watch is expensive? For a phono cartridge this is all about the wear of its diamond stylus, which is effectively an extension of a whole assembly - the stylus itself, the cantilever to which it is attached, and the coil assembly that moves within the magnet framework built into the cartridge body. So the whole assembly is replaced. Typically around 70% of the cost of a new phono cartridge.
So for a phono cartridge @ GBP 10,000, 'servicing' is GBP 7,000....

KLEOS-new.jpg
These users thanked the author Noush for the post (total 2):
JAFOnbg
Chris
"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans" : John Lennon.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Re: Precision micro engineering. Not a watch.

Post by jkbarnes »

That’s insane!
Drew

Post tot Naufracia Portus
gwells
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by gwells »

this is where you get into the laws of diminishing returns. spending large amounts of cash for minimal improvement in quality.
the "g" is for Greg...
Noush
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Noush »

^^^^^^
Yes indeed. In probably no other field does that manifest itself so clearly.
Can you hear the difference? Yes. Are you prepared to pay for it....

But gosh, a really good vinyl replay set-up makes digital sound pretty dull :)
These users thanked the author Noush for the post:
jkbarnes
Chris
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

Noush wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 4:47 am ^^^^^^
Yes indeed. In probably no other field does that manifest itself so clearly.
Can you hear the difference? Yes. Are you prepared to pay for it....

But gosh, a really good vinyl replay set-up makes digital sound pretty dull :)
OMG!
It's been a long time since I replaced any audio equipment having bought what I considered some decent stuff years ago including a Linn turntable but even so the price for that MC is insane.

I doubt that my hearing was ever good enough to have heard the difference but most definitely it is not now so I won't be changing over.

But thanks for the insight.
These users thanked the author Mikkei4 for the post:
JAFO
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

A friend got asked in a bike shop once (by another customer) if he was getting a thousand pound bike for fifty quid legs :lol: Still - he used to be a sound engineer so would understand the need for this sort of precision engineering. He still teaches me to listen for things in music that I wouldn’t normally hear. But my tinnitus now means that I’ll never have to pay those scorching prices for audio stuff! :lol:
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by tikkathree »

gwells wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 4:21 am this is where you get into the laws of diminishing returns. spending large amounts of cash for minimal improvement in quality.
Oh but when it comes to the item of your dreams be it watch, gramophone needle thing, camera or anything else that translates to spending that last tiny increment to squeeze out the last possible ounce of performance. :lol:
These users thanked the author tikkathree for the post:
jkbarnes
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C3, C5, C20FLE
Some other brands
iain
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by iain »

I do love my vinyl, as much for the presentation of the records and their sleeves as the sound differences. I still use an old Sony record player I bought with my very first pay packet when I left school at 16. It’s had a few replacement needles but nothing else.

Seeing this I was reminded of this cartoon…….

CC273EF0-821B-4CD8-9F8B-A1E363F27135.jpeg
These users thanked the author iain for the post:
jkbarnes
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

Noush wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 12:08 am I hope this is an interesting counterpoint for some folk.
One of the most intriguing aspects of the mechanical watch for me is the precision micro engineering that is involved.

In the audio world, the Moving Coil phono cartridge that traces the grooves of a vinyl record is another area where this kind of thing takes place.
And the prices of good ones are also in parallel. Attached pic is a Lyra Kleos, the one I use myself. Price of this one is just a bit above a Tudor Black Bay 58 on bracelet. The brand's 'Top Dog' is more than triple...

Servicing? You think a premium watch is expensive? For a phono cartridge this is all about the wear of its diamond stylus, which is effectively an extension of a whole assembly - the stylus itself, the cantilever to which it is attached, and the coil assembly that moves within the magnet framework built into the cartridge body. So the whole assembly is replaced. Typically around 70% of the cost of a new phono cartridge.
So for a phono cartridge @ GBP 10,000, 'servicing' is GBP 7,000....

KLEOS-new.jpg
I assume the turntable matters, Chris. What do you use? Many years ago, I bought a Rega Planar 3 ( rather less expensive than the Linn Sondek, which was flavour of the month at that time ) and that was worth every penny. I've never actually heard a seriously high end set up though.
Noush
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Noush »

The turntable indeed matters a great deal. The scale of the engineering involved is quite different to a watch, hence the comparison using the phono cartridge.
Linn back in the day used to insist the thing that made the records go round and round was the most important part of the system. They had a vested interest of course :)

Personally I'm a Kuzma guy for 'table and arm. Built in Slovenia of all unexpected places. Fabulous engineering = fantastic sound :)
Best I've heard comes from Tech Das out of Japan. USD100k and change...
These users thanked the author Noush for the post:
JAFO
Chris
Noush
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Noush »

Here you go. I've actually listened to music played on one of these things. Tech Das Air Force One Premium. About GBP 75,000.
The arm that holds the phono cartridge is extra...

220ap.promo_.jpg
These users thanked the author Noush for the post (total 4):
Bahnstormer_vRSmissFJAFOrichtel
Chris