Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Posting of watches pitfalls and Success

Post by magicman »

Hello there.

I learned a few things regarding posting a watch of value today.

DHL don't offer insurance on anything over £400 anymore.
I found that out, after I had unpacked the watch for them to witness the contents, then repacked it !
I sent a watch last year with them, it cost me £69 and was fully insured up to £4000. I don't know why this element of their service has stopped.

DPD wanted £147 to send a £3000 watch within the UK.

I was just about to deliver it myself, but the good old Post Office came up trumps.
Their special Delivery now insure up to £2500. Not the case last time I used their service, but I was glad I tried them.

Regards Steve
These users thanked the author magicman for the post (total 2):
Stiftikkathree
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Re: Posting of watches pitfalls and Success

Post by nbg »

The limit for something posted Royal Mail special delivery has been £2,500 for years. It just costs slightly more than the lower banding.

However if posting something costing £3,000 by RMSD goes missing there is zero insurance cover. I.e. they don’t cover the first £2,500 at all.

Neil
These users thanked the author nbg for the post:
welshlad
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

So…

We will be looking after your watch throughout its journey, from the moment it leaves you until the moment it is delivered to the recipient. We will, however, charge you an excessive amount of money just in case:
  • We lose it
  • We trash it
  • One of our employees nicks it
  • Our driver delivers it to 97 Cowdung Lane by mistake
  • Our driver chucks it over your neighbour’s fence and their pit bull kills it
  • Our driver chucks it in your recycling bin just before the council comes to empty it.
:-k
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post:
tikkathree
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by magicman »

nbg wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 6:47 pm The limit for something posted Royal Mail special delivery has been £2,500 for years. It just costs slightly more than the lower banding.

However if posting something costing £3,000 by RMSD goes missing there is zero insurance cover. I.e. they don’t cover the first £2,500 at all.

Neil
Hi Neil

Apologies for my ignorance, are you saying if the watch is worth £2500 it's insured, but if it's worth £3000 it's not ?

Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by magicman »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:15 pm So…

We will be looking after your watch throughout its journey, from the moment it leaves you until the moment it is delivered to the recipient. We will, however, charge you an excessive amount of money just in case:
  • We lose it
  • We trash it
  • One of our employees nicks it
  • Our driver delivers it to 97 Cowdung Lane by mistake
  • Our driver chucks it over your neighbour’s fence and their pit bull kills it
  • Our driver chucks it in your recycling bin just before the council comes to empty it.
:-k
Hi Steve

To be fair to Royal Mail, the cost was £15.
I think that's pretty good for next day delivery, guaranteed by 1.00pm. Insured up to £2500.
I was quite prepared to pay DHL £70 for a similar service.
I pray/hope/desire/etc that there's no issue.

I'd be happy to hear of a better delivery option.

Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by 0uatiOW »

I’ve bought separate insurance from Secursus twice. Never had to claim, so difficult to judge fully, but I got peace of mind for a reasonable cost.
These users thanked the author 0uatiOW for the post:
magicman
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by nbg »

magicman wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:11 am
nbg wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 6:47 pm The limit for something posted Royal Mail special delivery has been £2,500 for years. It just costs slightly more than the lower banding.

Neil
Hi Neil

Apologies for my ignorance, are you saying if the watch is worth £2500 it's insured, but if it's worth £3000 it's not ?

Regards Steve
Basically yes.

I.e. it is not a case of sending something at £3,000 and having the first £2,500 covered by the Royal Mail insurance, leaving your uninsured risk exposure as only the excess of £500.

It has to be £2,500 or less to be covered.

However RMSD for sending/delivery in the UK is generally accepted as the most secure and reliable, with tracking at every stage.

A friend who is a watch maker has used RMSD for years and never had a package go missing.

With RMSD if a parcel is left and not signed for by someone at the delivery address the employee responsible will find themselves In hot water.

Neil
These users thanked the author nbg for the post:
magicman
TZ-UK
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

Especially since COVID, the RM can be a bit sloppy about delivery. I am happy to go to the post office collection centre and pick up deliveries that can't be made.

Instead, I have had watches and jewelry just left outside the door. They never bother to get a signature now either. I live in a small village, and passers by don't walk past my front door, but even so it's sloppy, although I've never had a delivery failure.
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by magicman »

I'm happy to report, that the watch I posted with RMSD arrived safely.

Regards Steve
These users thanked the author magicman for the post (total 3):
nbgwelshlad0uatiOW
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by thomcat00 »

I used DHL to send a watch from US to EU earlier this year and got it fully insured to its $3500 value. Of course shipping was near $400, but that was dow from the $750 quoted only a month before we’d completed the sale.
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

JAFO wrote:Especially since COVID, the RM can be a bit sloppy about delivery. I am happy to go to the post office collection centre and pick up deliveries that can't be made.

Instead, I have had watches and jewelry just left outside the door. They never bother to get a signature now either. I live in a small village, and passers by don't walk past my front door, but even so it's sloppy, although I've never had a delivery failure.
The solution to this is, providing you know the RM or DPD tracking number as soon as the package is despatched, during the evening before delivery divert the package from delivery at home, to delivery at your local Collection Point.

You can then collect at your leisure and not have to worry about whether you will be at home or not when delivery is attempted.

NB> I'm fortunate to have a Village Post Office, and a CoOp Store for DPD, within half a mile from home that is easy and convenient to get to. I appreciate that won't necessarily be the case for people in rural or large urban locations.

Guy

Sent from my XPERIA 5 III using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Tonywalker
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 26

Post by Tonywalker »

Royal Mail Insurance - I paid an extra premium at the counter to insure a watch I sent out last year. Hopefully, they still offer this service, but you have to ask!

The service is called 'Consequential Loss Cover', which provides cover to £10K

From memory, the premium was very reasonable too.

Hope this helps.
These users thanked the author Tonywalker for the post (total 3):
magicmanBahnstormer_vRSChris375
CW watch count - enough to keep me very happy, but always room for more!
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by nbg »

Tonywalker wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:49 am Royal Mail Insurance - I paid an extra premium at the counter to insure a watch I sent out last year. Hopefully, they still offer this service, but you have to ask!

Hope this helps.
Ah consequential loss cover.

Unfortunately not of any use when sending a valuable item, including a watch…

“You can buy consequential loss cover if the damage, delay or loss of an item can lead to greater loss than the actual value of the item itself”.

If you sent a watch with a value of £5,000 and it was lost, your loss is £5,000. I.e. it is not more than the value of the item.

The consequential loss cover is typically used for Important documents. E.g. you send a document, the document itself has negligible value, but the document has to arrive by a deadline, which if missed would give rise to a financial penalty. Your consequential loss is the amount of the financial penalty, which wouldn’t have arisen if the document arrived by the deadline.

Neil
These users thanked the author nbg for the post (total 2):
Bahnstormer_vRSChris375
TZ-UK
Tonywalker
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 26

Post by Tonywalker »

nbg wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 12:26 pm
Tonywalker wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:49 am Royal Mail Insurance - I paid an extra premium at the counter to insure a watch I sent out last year. Hopefully, they still offer this service, but you have to ask!

Hope this helps.
Ah consequential loss cover.

Unfortunately not of any use when sending a valuable item, including a watch…

“You can buy consequential loss cover if the damage, delay or loss of an item can lead to greater loss than the actual value of the item itself”.

If you sent a watch with a value of £5,000 and it was lost, your loss is £5,000. I.e. it is not more than the value of the item.

The consequential loss cover is typically used for Important documents. E.g. you send a document, the document itself has negligible value, but the document has to arrive by a deadline, which if missed would give rise to a financial penalty. Your consequential loss is the amount of the financial penalty, which wouldn’t have arisen if the document arrived by the deadline.

Neil

Neil

Makes sense now I think about it - the clue is in the name.

Good job the Calatrava didn't go missing🙄
CW watch count - enough to keep me very happy, but always room for more!
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

@magicman - Which DHL Service were you working with, Steve, to be told nothing over £400?

The reason I ask, is I've checked DHL Express which I've used several times within the last year to ship watches overseas from the UK, but will also ship within the UK, and they are still showing Watches up to EUR 5,000 (£4,000) will be covered - by exception that they won't be covered over this amount. Penultimate bullet point in list below.

Screenshot 2023-04-23 at 23-55-45 Prohibited and counterfeit items cannot be shipped with DHL Express.png

PS> I think I came across the £400 limit in my research last year and that was with DHL UK (as opposed to Express).

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England