Posting of watches pitfalls and Success

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Re: Posting of watches pitfalls and Success

Post by magicman »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:06 am @magicman - Which DHL Service were you working with, Steve, to be told nothing over £400?

The reason I ask, is I've checked DHL Express which I've used several times within the last year to ship watches overseas from the UK, but will also ship within the UK, and they are still showing Watches up to EUR 5,000 (£4,000) will be covered - by exception that they won't be covered over this amount. Penultimate bullet point in list below.

Screenshot 2023-04-23 at 23-55-45 Prohibited and counterfeit items cannot be shipped with DHL Express.png

PS> I think I came across the £400 limit in my research last year and that was with DHL UK (as opposed to Express).

Guy
Morning Guy

I went into my local one in Loughton, it's in the Robert Dyas Branch.
He did call the Enfield Depot to check without success, but I 100% sent a watch from there last year, which appears to be the service that you've been using, I will check as I should have the receipt.

Some good knowledge, cropping up here, thanks all

Regards Steve
These users thanked the author magicman for the post:
Bahnstormer_vRS
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

A bit of an update. I saw a thread elsewhere, which indicates that in April (not sure when) Royal Mail updated their general T&Cs and also the specific terms for parcel products.

Worth a look. My initial scan of the docs referred to in the thread are that whilst the £2,500 limit hasn’t been changed, they would now pay out the first £2,500 on a watch with a value not exceeding £5,000.

Whilst I would still go for a face to face sale, or ensure extra non RM insurance was in place, for something of over say £3,000, I would likely take the risk for a shortfall of up to about £500, given the process surrounding RMSD.

If I do need to use it I will ensure that I read all the docs fully and suggest you don’t just accept my initial quick scan read.

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php? ... of-warning
(The TZ-UK thread was started about another RMSD aspect, but drifted to the new T&Cs).

As a different point for anyone sending more expensive items I would suggest reading this thread.

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php? ... e-query-Uk

Neil
These users thanked the author nbg for the post:
magicman
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

^^^Useful info there for anyone sending a high value watch.

I've used Mail Boxes etc in the past myself for watches > £2,500 or for overseas shipping. iirc they charge 3% + VAT for insurance on top of the regular courier cost, you take your watch in unwrapped and they wrap it themselves to verify and avoid the recipient claiming the box arrived empty. Slightly pricey but peace of mind.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by magicman »

Good morning

Just a bit of feedback re. RMSD.
I sent a watch out yesterday (Friday) I was offered an option for Saturday delivery, which was £3 extra.
Normally it's next working day, hence the extra for Saturday (which some of us still don't class as a working day)
I'm happy to report the watch arrived at its destination this morning, just over 24 hrs door to door.

Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

^^^ So…you got what you paid for? :wink:
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post:
magicman
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by magicman »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:55 am ^^^ So…you got what you paid for? :wink:
Yes, and I also received a delivery today, sent yesterday, but didn't have the extra £3 added, so could have arrived Monday. But still arrived by 1pm today.

So that was a nice result.

Regards Steve
These users thanked the author magicman for the post:
Amor Vincit Omnia
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

@magicman

Sorry, Steve, didn’t mean to sound sarky there. I had an email this morning which rather piqued me. I walked into the Cotswold store the other day and bought a water bottle that was in stock on the shelf. This morning I got an email asking me “how did we do?”

After taking the various options I wrote something like this in the comment box: “ I walked into your shop, picked up something from the shelf, paid for it and walked out with it. Bit silly to send me an email about that.”

Why is it that people doing their job or delivering what they say they will deliver are trying to claim some kind of exceptional service? Not a fan of the constant feedback culture.
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post (total 3):
magicmanGar787DavidCM
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by magicman »

@Amor Vincit Omnia

No apology required Steve, a perfectly valid point, but sometimes the simple desire, of getting exactly what you paid for, is not upheld.

I really only posted here (Pun intended)
So we can keep the thread updated, on our experiences with the various postage options, when sending our precious things.
So far nothing bad to report with the Royal Mail for me, where as I found DHL to be confusing, frustrating (having to open the package for them to inspect) and unhelpful (unlike the subsequent info found here)

Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
Chris GB
Senior
Senior

Post by Chris GB »

magicman wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 5:04 pm @Amor Vincit Omnia

No apology required Steve, a perfectly valid point, but sometimes the simple desire, of getting exactly what you paid for, is not upheld.

I really only posted here (Pun intended)
So we can keep the thread updated, on our experiences with the various postage options, when sending our precious things.
So far nothing bad to report with the Royal Mail for me, where as I found DHL to be confusing, frustrating (having to open the package for them to inspect) and unhelpful (unlike the subsequent info found here)

Regards Steve
I had to use DHL to return a watch recently and although their website and instructions for shipping said don't seal the package, the driver said they never inspect the contents. To be honest, they were frustrating to deal with in many respects.
These users thanked the author Chris GB for the post:
magicman
C63 Sealander - Hunter Green. Twelve Ti -Purple. C65 Aquitaine - Seagrass Green. On order: C63 SH21 Blue Marine (delayed 4 months plus 3 months plus 3 weeks. So far). C1 Bel Canto - Voila (delayed). Waiting. Endless waiting.
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

I've had to submit a claim today for a lost watch posted using Royal Mail Special Delivery.

Sold and posted my Oris Artix last week, but it disappeared off the radar on the morning of delivery. I've had nothing but praise for RM in the past and have never had, or heard of issues using this service.

It'll be interesting to see whether the claims side of the business deals with things efficiently and effectively. I've refunded the buyer, so I'm hoping it gets resolved reasonably quickly.
These users thanked the author StrappedUp for the post:
magicman
Ryan
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 3:04 pm @magicman

Sorry, Steve, didn’t mean to sound sarky there. I had an email this morning which rather piqued me. I walked into the Cotswold store the other day and bought a water bottle that was in stock on the shelf. This morning I got an email asking me “how did we do?”

After taking the various options I wrote something like this in the comment box: “ I walked into your shop, picked up something from the shelf, paid for it and walked out with it. Bit silly to send me an email about that.”

Why is it that people doing their job or delivering what they say they will deliver are trying to claim some kind of exceptional service? Not a fan of the constant feedback culture.
I’m curious if the email contained a link to leave a review? I get those all the time now anytime I pay with my phone or though a service like Square. I’m not bothered by someone asking for feedback but am bothered at being badgered for online reviews.
Drew
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

StrappedUp wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 3:07 pm I've had to submit a claim today for a lost watch posted using Royal Mail Special Delivery.

Sold and posted my Oris Artix last week, but it disappeared off the radar on the morning of delivery. I've had nothing but praise for RM in the past and have never had, or heard of issues using this service.

It'll be interesting to see whether the claims side of the business deals with things efficiently and effectively. I've refunded the buyer, so I'm hoping it gets resolved reasonably quickly.
So I thought an update may be of interest to all.

As of today (15/08), Royal Mail have sent me 1 automated email on the 01/08 to say that they were "still investigating".
It has been 27 days since submitting my claim and >30 days since the item went missing.

Phone call to customer services yesterday confirmed that there hadn't been any update on the case on their system.
You would think by now that it would be safe for RM to declare my 'next day' item lost.

Really disappointed that it is taking so long to resolve and on the face of it, they couldn't care less.

Oh, and to top things off, there is some funny business going on with the tracking after all this time which I'm not being informed about.
Ryan
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by tikkathree »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 3:04 pm @magicman

What you now really don't want is an email asking how the customer service department did in sending you their standard please tick box 1 to say we're perfect and in all other case kindly F off!

Christopher Ward are you listening? Please - well for me at least - kindly focus on providing a high quality service and worry less about investing resources on feedback loops. If you'd only sent me the timegrapher readouts proving that you'd restored it to COSC standard when you serviced my watch I wouldn't have needed to chase you by email/responded to a howdwedoo email/sent the watch back for timegraphing/fended off your autogenerated attempt to bill me for a second [unrequired] service /responded to your email of apology for getting things wrong twice.

Do I care for how long you're now holding my watch? not until four weeks have passed. :oops:
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20FLE
Some other brands
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by tikkathree »

Oh and a big thumbs up to EVri on this occasion.
CW watch bought from the other end of the adjoining County and reminded the seller that if he was using EVri they offer a tracked and traceable service. Watch despatched Monday morning, watch delivered Tuesday morning. How's that for bish bosh?
These users thanked the author tikkathree for the post:
magicman
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20FLE
Some other brands
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

Part of the problem is that delivery services don't always get a signature or even wait for the door to be answered. They will ring the bell and leave, and they won't take a parcel back to the delivery office, but will just leave it outside your property.

I've taken to leaving notes on the outside of the door on occasion.