Pet Pronunciation Hates

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Re: Pet Pronunciation Hates

Post by iain »

^^^^^^ I understand the annoyance with how would’ve / would of can be written down incorrectly.

However when spoken in my northern accent they sound almost identical.

Even if trying to say the full would have then the silent h means it still sounds extremely similar.
These users thanked the author iain for the post:
JAFO
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

iain wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 10:39 am ^^^^^^ I understand the annoyance with how would’ve / would of can be written down incorrectly.

However when spoken in my northern accent they sound almost identical.

Even if trying to say the full would have then the silent h means it still sounds extremely similar.
Iain agreed, my post probably isn't in keeping with the thread, it's people writing it that irks me! I agree it sounds almost identical particularly once regional variations taken into account!
These users thanked the author Thegreyman for the post (total 2):
iainJAFO
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

"Would of" is probably a combination of sloppy pronunciation and maybe not knowing the correct expression, similar to "them", as in "them apples"

My original post was in respect of a usage used only by people who must know better.

It's rather like the affected style they use for Beatrice and Eugenie in The Windsors. I really dislike that accent, which seems to be female only for some reason, and is becoming pretty common in general.
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

How about notifications on the forum. If several people give a post the thumbs up then the notification says

Received thanks from person A and person B for the post……

But if only one person gives a thumbs it it says

Received thank from person A for the post…….
These users thanked the author iain for the post:
MistaFroggyG
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

Thegreyman wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 10:31 am A lot of people pronounce "would have" as "would of", and some people now see to write it that way too e.g. I would of liked to have..... :ka:
This is my pet hate, it drives me mad especially when it appears on this forum.
These users thanked the author Mikkei4 for the post:
JAFO
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by magicman »

Uncle Bill, asked if I could recommend any good shows on "Nextflik" :roll:

Regards Steve
Selling
CW C8 Revival

CW 12 Glacier Blue
mvlow
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by mvlow »

I don't have a problem with the variety of pronunciations found in the English language. In the USA and the UK there are many variations to common words found from State to State and County to County. It would be a terrible thing if the Cockney, Brummie, and Geordie dialects all blended into one generic way of speaking. It would be sad to lose the Southern twang of States such as South Carolina if the accents of everyone in the USA spoke with a generic California accent.

It is not only the English language that has this variety of pronunciations. Having worked in a city for many years where the majority of the population were from Mexico and South America I witnessed their use of the Spanish language varied depending upon the region they were from.

I celebrate Aluminium from my British roots and I also celebrate Aluminum from my American roots.
These users thanked the author mvlow for the post (total 2):
iainthomcat00
Malcolm

CW C60 Vintage Hamilton Khaki Field Sinn 104 CW C65 Vintage GMT Monta Oceanking Elliot Brown Holton
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by thomcat00 »

I can assure you, Drew, you most certainly have a Southern accent. :D My Westchester County branch of the family are solidly of the opinion that anyone south of Newark has a Southern accent. They put me in my place because I grew up in Philadelphia and that’s practically the Mason-Dixon Line. :p Amusingly, these same cousins spend their early lives in Richmond but shed the accent once they arrived outside NYC, despite having been Howard-, Spellman-, and even Tuskegee-educated. They got all Princetonian rather quickly. Now that I live in the sticks of central NY, it’s a wonder they can understand me at all. :D

My wife’s family is mostly in central Mass. Though she and her sisters don’t have the strong accent, her parents and brother most certainly do.
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair