Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
Wis
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Re: Pet Pronunciation Hates

Post by Wis »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 12:02 pm
Wis wrote:Seems to me, a non-native speaker/writer that some of you could care less, while others have a very unique take on the problem. Some are literally going crazy with frustration! Very confusing for a poor foreigner.
As a 'poor foreigner' Bjorn, this gives me the opportunity to raise a point I've been pondering.

Is this pronunciation malarkey a purely English speaking issue, or does it exist in other languages? :-k :-k

Guy

Sent from my XPERIA 5 III using Tapatalk
Well, Norway, like the UK, has a lot of dialects. However, we don’t have anything like RP, even if the standard Eastern dialect used to have hegemony up until some 30 years ago. Now, every dialect is on equal footing, officially. In practise people tend to moderate their speech somewhat when they speak in public nationally. So the debate about proper pronunciation is a very fringe activity here.

There are exceptions. One is a debate which follows generational lines. Norwegian has a sound which is rare, phonetically written /ç/. This sound is in the process of being replaced by /∫/ among young people under 40. In writing these sound are represented by kj versus sj. And Norwegian has quite a few words that a distinguised by that spelling/pronunciation, and consequently sound alike in the mouths of young people. In English that would be word pairs like chicken/to rinse, dear (as in my dear)/magpie. For older people the new pronunciation sounds childish, as this sound was one of the last children mastered.
These users thanked the author Wis for the post:
JAFO
Bjørn
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

Here’s a little Massachusetts pronunciation humor for everyone. For context, Cumberland Farms is a chain of convenience stores/gas stations (that’s petrol for the UK crowd). I’ve “translated” the photo in the caption.

This made me laugh because even though my wife doesn’t have a Massachusetts accent in the least, she does always pronounce Cumberland Farms like this because this was how her aunt and her cousins always pronounced it.

IMG_8623.jpeg
Cumberland Farms: pack of cigarettes, a couple of scratch-off lottery tickets, the newspaper, and a large coffee (not decaf)
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post:
JAFO
Drew
Wis
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Wis »

missF wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 11:42 am
Wis wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:35 am Seems to me, a non-native speaker/writer that some of you could care less, while others have a very unique take on the problem. Some are literally going crazy with frustration! Very confusing for a poor foreigner.
I think it’s like the weather - the endless variation of the English language gives us endless opportunity to have an opinion or a moan about something :lol:

It’s very egalitarian- everyone can have their own way of speaking and their own subset of gripes. On the other hand, in our small country obsessed by class the language we use often becomes a way of putting someone down for being lesser than you. I don’t really think language communicates anything very well.,.
I was trying, unsuccesfully, to be funny about some ways of speaking that are just plain wrong: could care less/couldn’t care less, very unique (something is either unique or it is not), the use of literally when speaking figuratively.

Will try harder next time. 😉
These users thanked the author Wis for the post (total 2):
missFJAFO
Bjørn
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

Wis wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 12:45 pm
I was trying, unsuccesfully, to be funny about some ways of speaking that are just plain wrong: could care less/couldn’t care less, very unique (something is either unique or it is not), the use of literally when speaking figuratively.

Sorry! :oops: You caught me taking things a bit too literally... To be fair, your command of the English language, including jokes which reference spelling and pronunciation, is outstanding, and flew way over my head :lol: :clap: :D
These users thanked the author missF for the post:
JAFO
Wis
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Wis »

missF wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 12:49 pm

Sorry! :oops: You caught me taking things a bit too literally... To be fair, your command of the English language, including jokes which reference spelling and pronunciation, is outstanding, and flew way over my head :lol: :clap: :D
:lol: All is forgiven. Thank you for your kind words. :oops: (blushing)
These users thanked the author Wis for the post:
JAFO
Bjørn
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by ajax87 »

jkbarnes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 12:42 pm Here’s a little Massachusetts pronunciation humor for everyone. For context, Cumberland Farms is a chain of convenience stores/gas stations (that’s petrol for the UK crowd). I’ve “translated” the photo in the caption.

This made me laugh because even though my wife doesn’t have a Massachusetts accent in the least, she does always pronounce Cumberland Farms like this because this was how her aunt and her cousins always pronounced it.

IMG_8623.jpeg

:lol:

I’ll never forget a conversation I had with my boss in a watch store in Boston, long ago. I had been working with him 6 months, but still struggled with his accent sometimes. It took me FIVE TRIES to understand he was talking about a SHARK band, not a SHOCK band. I finally said “oh, sharrrrrrrk! You forgot the “r”!” He threw his hands up and walked away from me shaking his head.
These users thanked the author ajax87 for the post (total 2):
jkbarnesJAFO
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster mk40|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Accents are a funny thing. My parents are both NY city born and raised. To me, neither of them have NY accents, in part because I’ve grown up with it, and in part because as compared to my other relatives their accents are incredibly mild. Everyone else notices their accents right away, but I just don’t hear it. I wonder sometimes if my folks once had stronger accents that have since been tamed with them having left NY in their 20s.

My cousins from NYC tell me I have a southern accent, which is patently absurd because I absolutely do not. While it’s true I’ve been in VA since I was 9, I’ve always lived in Northern Virginia, a DC suburb that’s very transient with no hint of a southern accent.

My wife and her brothers have no hint of a Massachusetts accent (although she can put one one with ease) while her parents have mild ones. Her aunts and cousins all have very strong accents. I guess that’s a case of growing up on Cape Cod (my wife & her siblings) vs. growing up in Brockton then moving to Cape Cod (her parents) vs. growing up and staying in Brockton and Whitman (her aunt & cousins).

Final thought, an English coworker of mine grew up in a region of England with a strong regional accent but has a very neutral RP accent. I’ve often wondered if she went off to university and made an effort to shed her local accent. My wife had a friend who did exactly that with her strong working class Boston accent when she got to university.
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post:
JAFO
Drew
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

missF wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 11:42 am
Wis wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:35 am Seems to me, a non-native speaker/writer that some of you could care less, while others have a very unique take on the problem. Some are literally going crazy with frustration! Very confusing for a poor foreigner.
I think it’s like the weather - the endless variation of the English language gives us endless opportunity to have an opinion or a moan about something :lol:

It’s very egalitarian- everyone can have their own way of speaking and their own subset of gripes. On the other hand, in our small country obsessed by class the language we use often becomes a way of putting someone down for being lesser than you. I don’t really think language communicates anything very well.,.

Legendary gets me, as in "the legendary Gerald Genta". He was a real person.
gwells
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by gwells »

so i guess you don't like "living legend" either?
These users thanked the author gwells for the post:
JAFO
the "g" is for Greg...
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

gwells wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 4:24 pm so i guess you don't like "living legend" either?
Who did you have in mind? :D
josbrownlie
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 9

Post by josbrownlie »

Everythink
These users thanked the author josbrownlie for the post:
JAFO
C9 x5, C60 x3, C65 x1, Steinhart x2, CIGA Design, Jean Marcel, WT Author, Breitling & MSTR
welshlad
CW-watches: 23

Post by welshlad »

Skelington
These users thanked the author welshlad for the post:
JAFO
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
downer
CW-watches: 4

Post by downer »

Either.
These users thanked the author downer for the post:
JAFO
Richard
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by iain »

josbrownlie wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 7:43 pm Everythink

The Barnsley accent seems to have a lot of these type of pronunciations.

DD being pronounced GG so middle is said miggle.

TT becomes KK so it’s not little, it’s likkle.
These users thanked the author iain for the post:
JAFO
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

A lot of people pronounce "would have" as "would of", and some people now see to write it that way too e.g. I would of liked to have..... :ka:
These users thanked the author Thegreyman for the post:
JAFO
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way