Patina of use.

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
Paul Drawmer
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 7

Patina of use.

Post by Paul Drawmer »

I have realised that I have an inconsistent attitude to how things wear with usage.

I have put a black PVD watch up for sale that I have rarely worn. One of the reasons is that I'm really worried about marking it, and making it look 'worn'. I also have a bronze Trident, and I am using it as a daily wearer specifically to observe it age. Bronze is softer than s/s and it will get digs and scratches, but I'm not worried because I'm confident that it will not look rubbish as it collects its evidence of use.

Some years ago I had an old Cannon F1 camera; this was in the days when the bodies were brass and black painted. The fact that mine was worn and the brass showed through, made it for me, more attractive.

I used to have some garden secateurs where the paint had worn off and the cast alloy handles were really polished, I liked them better than new.

So; I don't like worn black PVD watches, but maybe that's just because I haven't seen many.

What have you got that looks better for the evidence of wear? Let's see your photos. I'll add some old stuff later when I've taken some photos. (BTW, photos of aged spouse will not count for this thread!)
There's always time for one more.
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Re: Patina of use.

Post by gaf1958 »

Paul Drawmer wrote:(BTW, photos of aged spouse will not count for this thread!)
Photos of self? ;)
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
Tyke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Tyke »

Paul Drawmer wrote:I have realised that I have an inconsistent attitude to how things wear with usage.

I have put a black PVD watch up for sale that I have rarely worn. One of the reasons is that I'm really worried about marking it, and making it look 'worn'. I also have a bronze Trident, and I am using it as a daily wearer specifically to observe it age. Bronze is softer than s/s and it will get digs and scratches, but I'm not worried because I'm confident that it will not look rubbish as it collects its evidence of use.

Some years ago I had an old Cannon F1 camera; this was in the days when the bodies were brass and black painted. The fact that mine was worn and the brass showed through, made it for me, more attractive.

I used to have some garden secateurs where the paint had worn off and the cast alloy handles were really polished, I liked them better than new.

So; I don't like worn black PVD watches, but maybe that's just because I haven't seen many.

What have you got that looks better for the evidence of wear? Let's see your photos. I'll add some old stuff later when I've taken some photos. (BTW, photos of aged spouse will not count for this thread!)
Hi
Interesting question, I might be about to put this to the test. I've got a DLC Steinhart that has a little wear but is still pretty good but I'm thinking about ageing it. If I do, I'll keep a process diary of how it goes for people to consider.

Probably heresy round here to do that to a watch but it's not one I'll wear again so it's a free hit if it goes horribly wrong!
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Patina of use.

Post by gaf1958 »

Not watches as I like mine to be pristine, but we have this bookcase and grandfather clock, both mid-late 1800s, one English, the other French. Without the patina of time, slight damage that's been fixed and in turn developed its own patina, they'd just look like any other piece of furniture...

Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

I think with watches it really depends on the watch. I would like my dress watches as prefect as possible. With most of my sport watches, I treat them with care, but can tolerate a few scratches and marks. With my SKX, I don't worry about marks, dings and scratches, as SKX look fantastic with some well earned patina (and it has proved amazingly durable and has almost no marks despite been heavily worn at work, in the shop and garden etc). Having said that, Speedy's look great with some patina as well, but cost a whole lot more than the SKX, so I treat mine with care. Even so, I haven't polished any of the scratches out of the crystal, as the light scratches somehow suit the watch.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
snuffbox
Junior
Junior

Post by snuffbox »

I have a Gruppo Gamma N19 Bronze that came to me fairly unmarked but with a bit of darkening.
I wear it to work,I do gardening for a living .
It’s darkened down quite a bit,no dings at all,but it looks how it ought in my opinion.
My Trident Bronze has been to work a few times,again,no dings but patina building nicely.
The plastic coating on my Felco secateurs has fallen off and the handles are nice and shiny where they get held.
I do outdoorsy stuff,and so expect the watches to pick up a few marks.
Used,but not abused
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Anything old, fine.

Anything new that’s pretending to be old, not fine.

Specifically on watches: on a vintage watch I don’t mind a bit of foxing or spotting on the dial, faded lume, minor rubbing or brassing of gold or chrome plating. Probably my best example...

Anything modern sporting the name Vintage...not for me. Faux vintage lume (Caramac) and the whole brass thing, I don’t get.

JMHO, but if you want something that looks old, buy something old.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Karrusel
Expert
Expert
CW-watches: 8

Post by Karrusel »

Old & original (warts @ all) every time for me...

WW1 general service issue.

1940's 'Free French Forces'...

1929 'Harwood'

Every picture tells a story :D

:thumbup:
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

@Gary

What a beautiful hallway.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Patina of use.

Post by gaf1958 »

^^^ Thanks @scooter. The clock will be moving with us to the new place, the bookcase may be going to one of the kids. The jostling for possession has already begun!
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

My only watch with any signs of ageing is my birth year Omega which has some patina on the dial (you can see it a bit in the photo). I can't complain as I'm also 51 years old and have some patina on my face (wrinkles :lol: )

Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way