Paris: any tips?

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
eggtronics
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Paris: any tips?

Post by eggtronics »

My wife has surprised me with a 4 day trip to Paris, and we leave tomorrow. I'm very excited as I've wanted to go for ages. I've had a look on the forum and there's a few different threads for various cities, but none for Paris.

So here we go, any hints or tips for someone who hasn't been before? We're going to do all the main attractions, but is there anything else? Also, any suggestions for eating establishments? I'd rather not pay for over priced food just because you can see the Eiffel Tower...

Thanks!
When I see a watch, the last thing I see is the time

Watch It All About
The WIAA Shop

I've always got loads of watches for sale, PM me to see what I've got available right now!
mabotham
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5
LE-two: yes

Re: Paris: any tips?

Post by mabotham »

We went last summer. Lovely place. We got a day pass on the boat taxi, Batobus, that runs up and down the Seine. Hop on, hop off. Easy!
We did all the attractions; all reasonably priced. We dove in to the nearest eateries & found the food great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bspj
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by bspj »

Take your black Amex if you want a beer on the Avenue de Champs Elysee.....it'll cost you a second mortgage.
Really, as MAB suggests, dive in and enjoy. Expect queues if you want to go to the Louvre or up that big version of the Blackpool Tower.
Two wonderful secrets on the Ile de la Cite: Sainte Chapelle and the Conciergerie.
Musee d-Orsay for impressionists.

(Apologies for ma Franglais AVO will indubitably translate into the lingua franca.
Steve
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

I just love to wander round, to be honest. Favourite walks:

1. Quartier Latin (5th/6th Arrondissements)
2. From the Louvre up to the Arc de Triomphe
3. Just dawdling around Montmartre
4. For a more earthy Paris, a walk along the Canal Saint-Martin is well worthwhile.

Do look at the "bouquinistes" (booksellers) on the riverside - and Shakespeare's near Notre Dame.

Notre Dame is spectacular, but try to visit St. Sulpice (6th Arrondissement), it is wonderful.

As a first timer you will probably want to do the tower and the Louvre. A bateau-mouche or water-bus will give you some great views.

You won't get bored...and if you do there will be plenty of watch shops (and swanky clothes and accessories for your good lady). Have fun, you lucky boy.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Berkshire

Post by Berkshire »

The strangest bookshop ever but also a gem, Shakespeare and Company. I once came across a couple in bed in one of the rooms. :shock:
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

I have never been to France but I hear Paris is lovely.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
Trevini
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 3

Post by Trevini »

Last time we went to Paris was two years ago almost to the day. We did all of the usual touristy things and also had the Christmas market to wander round on the Camps Elysee. A lot of the stuff is easy walking distance of each other.

The metro system is cheap and convenient to get around (we went over on the Eurostar). We found plenty of nice little places to eat at sensible prices, but the stand out because of the surprise was the Renault dealership in the Champs Elysee. There was a concept car that caught my eye in the window, but they also had a very nice restaurant on the upper level. Superb cakes were the order of the day there.

Have a wonderful time and I'm sure you'll thoroughly enjoy seeing in the new year with the Eiffel tower as a backdrop.
Berkshire

Post by Berkshire »

scooter wrote:I have never been to France but I hear Paris is lovely.

scooter
Reminded me that I hired a scooter a few years ago, great fun way to see Paris. http://www.leftbankscooters.com/v02/
Amor Vincit Omnia

^^^Place de l'Etoile on a scooter - now there's a challenge! :scared:
Steve

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

Mind you, I've only been to Berkshire once.

That wasn't on a scooter though.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
Berkshire

Post by Berkshire »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote:^^^Place de l'Etoile on a scooter - now there's a challenge! :scared:
Live dangerously. :twisted:
Leo David
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by Leo David »

Josh,

You'll find your way around Paris easily enough but whatever you do no trip to Paris is complete without a visit to Maison Berthillon for some of the best ice cream you've ever eaten. Seriously, it's worth going to Paris just for this. The casis sorbet is the best I've eaten. Here's the address: 31 Rue Saint-Louis en l'Île, 75004 Paris.

Also the Arab World Institute along the Seine for the extraordinary and unique fascade of opening and closing Moorish design window blinds (not really blinds) controlled by photoelectirc cells - oh just go there. You'll see what I mean and enjoy the wonderful rooftop cafe while you're there.

Enjoy!
LD
eggtronics
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by eggtronics »

Wonderful, many thanks for the info guys!

On another important note, which watch do I take?

When I see a watch, the last thing I see is the time

Watch It All About
The WIAA Shop

I've always got loads of watches for sale, PM me to see what I've got available right now!
Amor Vincit Omnia

Take the one in the top left corner and one of those regulator jobbies. The Seine is filthy so you won't need a swimming watch.
Steve

Konketsu
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by Konketsu »

Montmartre was our favourite area to wander around when we visited 5 years ago. :)
"It is a mistake to try to look too far ahead. The chain of destiny can only be grasped one link at a time." - Sir Winston Churchill