Oyster Card vs Day Travel Pass?

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Oyster Card vs Day Travel Pass?

Post by jkbarnes »

Which do you think is the best bet for the London Underground? We won’t be riding it extensively, as we want to do as much walking as possible. I see the Oyster Card has a 7£ cost for the card itself. Seems an unnecessary expense for our limited travel. However, it also means we’d have the card in hand for future trips to London (in fact, I might even have one lying around somewhere from a trip to London many years ago). And it could be a fun keepsake from the trip.

I have no idea what fares are like, so what do people think is the sensible option? Or am I overthinking this?

(Can you tell I’m just killing time now, running a million things through my head before setting out for the airport later this afternoon?)
Drew
Trs1982
Expert
Expert

Re: Oyster Card vs Day Travel Pass?

Post by Trs1982 »

Neither tbh. A travel card/day pass will probably work out more expensive if you’re planning light usage and lots of walking.

Use a contactless credit/debit card. If you use the same card for all journeys, it will be charged at the same rates as you would be if using an Oyster card, without the initial outlay for the card.

If there are more than one of you travelling, then use a card unique to each person so that the transactions don’t get mixed up.
These users thanked the author Trs1982 for the post:
jkbarnes
gannet
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by gannet »

I just use acontact less credit/debit card, that gets charged the same as an oyster card would do for the same journeys.

Never used one from another currency though, can't imagine it would be much different though...
These users thanked the author gannet for the post:
jkbarnes
-- gannet.
C65 AMGT 1VEV | C60 Trident Chronograph 300 | C7 Rapide Automatic | C7 Rapide Quartz | C3 Malvern Chronograph MK II -Limited Edition
Trs1982
Expert
Expert

Post by Trs1982 »

Here’s a link which will help explain it better than I have!

https://tfl.gov.uk/fares/how-to-pay-and ... tcmp=55539
These users thanked the author Trs1982 for the post:
jkbarnes
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

quote=Trs1982 post_id=966886 time=1687792437 user_id=54458]
Use a contactless credit/debit card. If you use the same card for all journeys, it will be charged at the same rates as you would be if using an Oyster card, without the initial outlay for the card.
[/quote]
gannet wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:14 pm I just use acontact less credit/debit card, that gets charged the same as an oyster card would do for the same journeys.

Never used one from another currency though, can't imagine it would be much different though...
Just to clarify, this just means tapping the card, right? No need for a phone?

And could one use a phone for this? I’ve got my iPhone set up for contactless pay, my wife does not. But she does have a contactless credit card.
Drew
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Trs1982 wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:15 pm Here’s a link which will help explain it better than I have!

https://tfl.gov.uk/fares/how-to-pay-and ... tcmp=55539
Thanks for the link. I was reading up about fare cards earlier but had skipped over the whole contactless pay bit.
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post:
Trs1982
Drew
gannet
Forumgod
Forumgod

Post by gannet »

jkbarnes wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:17 pm
Just to clarify, this just means tapping the card, right? No need for a phone?

And could one use a phone for this? I’ve got my iPhone set up for contactless pay, my wife does not. But she does have a contactless credit card.
Phone's can definitely be used too :thumbup: , same charge / fare :D

YEs just tap the card / phone, remember to always tap in and tap out.
jkbarnes
-- gannet.
C65 AMGT 1VEV | C60 Trident Chronograph 300 | C7 Rapide Automatic | C7 Rapide Quartz | C3 Malvern Chronograph MK II -Limited Edition
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

gannet wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:18 pm Phone's can definitely be used too :thumbup: , same charge / fare :D

This definitely sounds like the way to go!

Can you tell it’s been awhile since I’ve used public transport? Last time I was on a subway was the T in Boston, and let me tell you, it feels like stepping back in time when descending into those stations!
Drew
timor54
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by timor54 »

jkbarnes wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:23 pm
gannet wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:18 pm Phone's can definitely be used too :thumbup: , same charge / fare :D

Can you tell it’s been awhile since I’ve used public transport? Last time I was on a subway was the T in Boston, and let me tell you, it feels like stepping back in time when descending into those stations!

https://contactless.tfl.gov.uk/ has all the details for creating a TFL account and setting up for contactless card payment. A single card scan gets one person through the gate to start one journey, so you’ll need to register a card for each of you. Multiple cards can be registered within a single TFL account.

However, be aware of foreign currency charges: https://tfl.gov.uk/fares/how-to-pay-and ... -as-you-go If your card provider charges for foreign transactions then using your card will soon become VERY expensive. In that scenario a couple of Oyster cards with some money loaded once will be more cost effective, even if you’re left with some credit at the end of your trip.

If you go the contactless route and wish to use an iPhone then in ‘settings/wallet & Apple pay’ you should set your card to be an Express Travel Card. This allows you iPhone to be used as a contactless device without having to authenticate with Face ID/passcode.
These users thanked the author timor54 for the post:
jkbarnes
Tim
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

timor54 wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 5:12 pm
jkbarnes wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:23 pm

https://contactless.tfl.gov.uk/ has all the details for creating a TFL account and setting up for contactless card payment. A single card scan gets one person through the gate to start one journey, so you’ll need to register a card for each of you. Multiple cards can be registered within a single TFL account.

However, be aware of foreign currency charges: https://tfl.gov.uk/fares/how-to-pay-and ... -as-you-go If your card provider charges for foreign transactions then using your card will soon become VERY expensive. In that scenario a couple of Oyster cards with some money loaded once will be more cost effective, even if you’re left with some credit at the end of your trip.

If you go the contactless route and wish to use an iPhone then in ‘settings/wallet & Apple pay’ you should set your card to be an Express Travel Card. This allows you iPhone to be used as a contactless device without having to authenticate with Face ID/passcode.
Great info, thank you!
Drew
gannet
Forumgod
Forumgod

Post by gannet »

It should be noted you don't need an account for contactless payments to work. Seems all you get extra for doing so will be journey history ??
jkbarnes
-- gannet.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

gannet wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 5:16 pm It should be noted you don't need an account for contactless payments to work. Seems all you get extra for doing so will be journey history ??
Good to know. I had looked into setting up an account but was blocked from doing so, I presume because I was here in the states. And I also saw something about linking to UK bank accounts only.

Sounds like contactless will be the way to go, at least for me since I don’t get hit with foreign transaction fees. I’m not so sure about my wife’s card though. Knowing her bank, I’m sure she does get hit with a fee, as they nickel and dime her for everything! “Oh, we see you’re using your card on a Friday. That’s a premium transaction day and incurs a fee. We can sense your breathing heavy, there’s a few fee that!” Oyster card might be the way to go for her.
Drew
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

@jkbarnes

Drew, I'm sure you've discussed things to do in London, and you will get better advice from loads of others I'm sure, but you can see loads of fantastic things in London without needing to pay. Museums, the National Gallery, Royal Observatory at Greenwich, even the Pelicans (and squirrels) in St James Park. :D
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

JAFO wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:00 pm @jkbarnes

Drew, I'm sure you've discussed things to do in London, and you will get better advice from loads of others I'm sure, but you can see loads of fantastic things in London without needing to pay. Museums, the National Gallery, Royal Observatory at Greenwich, even the Pelicans (and squirrels) in St James Park. :D
The only definite is the new exhibit of Paul McCartney photographs at the National Portrait Gallery. We’ve already purchased tickets for that.

The plan is primarily to walk and explore. My wife wants to wonder Chelsea to see if she can find the flat she lived in during a semester abroad. And we want to roam aimlessly through parks and gardens. We’ve both been to London before, so we’re feeling little pressure to see the “must see” sites - been there, done that. If it’s rainy, we’ll hit some museums.
Drew
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

If you like parks and green space I highly recommend the Greenwich Park which is a lovely green space to walk through, includes the Royal Observatory. You get amazing views down over the Thames to the City of London and the Docklands and can walk down to a former Tudor Royal Palace (Queens House), the Old Naval Academy and along to the famous Cutty Sark in Greenwich village which is lovely and has many great street food stands. We did this last year and really enjoyed it.
These users thanked the author Thegreyman for the post (total 3):
Bahnstormer_vRSJAFOjkbarnes
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way