Other people’s perceptions

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
gwells
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Re: Other people’s perceptions

Post by gwells »

we're not disagreeing on that part, Steve. the important part of my post was "noticing" vs "understanding."
These users thanked the author gwells for the post:
Amor Vincit Omnia
the "g" is for Greg...
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by watchaholic »

@Amor Vincit Omnia no doubt you are right about this Steve, but being the op was started by @iain I felt it might be prudent to give the Bel Canto a quick mention. :wink:
As for the vast majority of people I know or deal with on a daily basis, and yes that includes Mrs Watchaholic, we are indeed, a very rare breed.
These users thanked the author watchaholic for the post:
iain
Time and money? I’ve spent most of mine on booze and women. The rest I just wasted…
Dwight
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

I have just been looking at a thread on another forum. Like on this forum members sometimes add a phrase under their name, or as their signature.

I thought that this one was brilliant and puts in perspective the comments often made about Rolex being a status symbol… :)

“Having a Rolex isn’t a flex if it tells you when your lunch break is over”.
:lol: :) :lol:

Neil
These users thanked the author nbg for the post:
rkovars
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

nbg wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:24 pm I have just been looking at a thread on another forum. Like on this forum members sometimes add a phrase under their name, or as their signature.

I thought that this one was brilliant and puts in perspective the comments often made about Rolex being a status symbol… :)

“Having a Rolex isn’t a flex if it tells you when your lunch break is over”.
:lol: :) :lol:

Neil
Unless it is a platinum Daytona you are using to time the lunch break :lol:
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
trsullivan
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 13

Post by trsullivan »

If you have a platinum Daytona, you don't need to time your lunch breaks...
Tom
Rule #1 - "Never pass up an opportunity to keep your mouth shut."
C3GWT, C13SWK, C5Aviator, C5 BoB, C4BBMF, W7BBMF, Pepsi GMT, Scooter Blue, C80, C65 LE, C7 COSC, C3 FLE
C65 AM GT LE
kiter65
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by kiter65 »

trsullivan wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:41 pm If you have a platinum Daytona, you don't need to time your lunch breaks...
You didn’t read my post then
trsullivan
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 13

Post by trsullivan »

Au Contraire, I have, and I agree with you that not all who own Rolex are flash etc. I was making a somewhat sarcastic remark, mainly because a platinum Daytona is expensive. Most who own such might come from more rarefied financial climes than me or you. I've owned three Rolexes, the aforementioned GMT Master, and a 1951 OP my father bought in Athens in 1954, and a more recent 1981 Air King, none of which I paid more than $3500 US, in total. Your point is well made, however. A recent (February of this year) financial windfall allowed me to purchase not one, but two of the Tudor watches I've been hankering after ever since I first saw them. Mind you, I got a really good financing offer, allowing me to make a reasonable down payment, and then a no interest term of 36 months to pay the remainder. But the fact is I now own a Black Bay GMT and a Black Bay 58, 39mm, in blue, which I would not have otherwise been able to do. And those are not truly expensive watches, are they?
Tom
Rule #1 - "Never pass up an opportunity to keep your mouth shut."
C3GWT, C13SWK, C5Aviator, C5 BoB, C4BBMF, W7BBMF, Pepsi GMT, Scooter Blue, C80, C65 LE, C7 COSC, C3 FLE
C65 AM GT LE
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by iain »

^^^^^ I take all the points made throughout this thread regarding how no one may notice and no one may care about anyone wearing a Rolex.

However you could argue that even amongst those of us educated in the ways of Rolex, we still hold perceptions of owners of the higher priced watches, even if only for the purpose of humour.
These users thanked the author iain for the post:
nbg
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.