Other people’s perceptions

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Re: Other people’s perceptions

Post by jkbarnes »

tikkathree wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:47 am I think that behaving according to a perception of other people's feelings is fraught with pitfalls.

Someone said "You can't please all the people all the time" and that remains true today. But you really want to?
I don’t see @iain as behaving according to other’s perceptions, so much as being trying to be conscious of and respectful of other’s situations, given his work environment. He laid it out beautifully in his follow up post.
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post (total 3):
iainMikkei4thomcat00
Drew
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

Let me elaborate on how I see @iain’s OP…

I’m reminded of a woman I worked with (I’m a public school teacher) who constantly complained about how expensive this area was to live and how she and her husband and family could barely afford to get by. This from a woman who drove a Mercedes, who bought her daughter a brand new car (the exact model I happened to drive) when she turned 16, who took TWO family vacations a year (including the annual cruise to Mexico over spring break), and whose husband took four weeks in the spring to go on a golf/MLB Spring Training trip with his buddies every year.

Now I didn’t begrudge she and her husband having an income that afforded them those things. What I did begrudge was regularly having to listen to all that while I was worrying about how I’d pay for the new tires my car needed and wondered if my parents would be renting a beach house again so that we could take the kids somewhere for vacation, or just in general how I was going to be paying the bills that month. She was utterly tone deaf to the reality of her coworkers.

I applaud @iain for having the awareness of how a conspicuous luxury item like a Rolex (because that’s what it is in this situation) could be read in his particular work situation.
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post (total 2):
iainNigelS
Drew
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by iain »

@jkbarnes thanks Drew I think that’s the general gist of where I am at.

There have been a few different thoughts on here though and I think it’s important to note there isn’t really a right or wrong answer. I made throw away comment on the CWOTD thread that received a few replies so I thought I’d start this thread to carry on the conversation. I’ve found it interesting to hear everyone’s different takes on the subject and I am inclined to agree with the view that no one will ever notice. However I’m still of the mindset that I’ll continue as I currently am with my wearing habits.
These users thanked the author iain for the post (total 3):
Bahnstormer_vRSthomcat00jkbarnes
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
kiter65
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by kiter65 »

Perceptions???
I have thought long and hard about posting this, it’s a bit of a life story
Looking at my watch collection you would think I was quite wealthy, far from it. I have never earned more than £25000 a year, even less now. I was lucky enough to buy my first house at 19 years old, with mortgage, worked up the property ladder over the years, took a hit when I got divorced, been single for about 17 years now,but managed to down size to a small 2 bed 1960’s bungalow, mortgage free.
I have an eye condition, Retina Pigmentosa, RP, registered blind, I’m very lucky because I have retained good central vision but have lost all peripheral vision and have complete night blindness.
I lost my driving license about 27 years ago so not had a car or motorbike since then. I’ve been on one holiday abroad in the past 25 years. Just think how much money I have saved :) I don’t do takeaways, coasta’s etc
This is my life choice.
So I spend what little money I have on watches :D I have very little savings so if the boiler breaks there will be a Rolex for sale :lol:
I wear my watches and I don’t give a rats A.. what people think, that’s their problem not mine, unless they want to rob me :shock:
They don’t know my situation
Not all people that own a Rolex are rich, flash or showing off as a status symbol, I would need more than a Rolex to have any status :lol:
I just get a great deal of self satisfaction owning a Rolex and I’ve said this before they make bloody good watches :D
I also like my SMP, Hamilton,IWC and all the other watches I have owned and sold over the years whilst having this silly hobby :D
These users thanked the author kiter65 for the post (total 12):
Bahnstormer_vRSThegreymaniainnbgscooterTonywalkeratnitsjkbarnessproughtonstefs and 2 more users
gwells
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by gwells »

everyone has to look at their own situation and do what's right for them and their circumstances. i don't ever think twice about wearing any of mine for perception. would feel the same if i had a rolex. but i don't know of any circumstances where i would feel uncomfortable about how others feel about me wearing it.

that said, i have a friend who i do freelance work with/for on his liquor/beer business. when he wore his rolex OP into a bar in rural pennsylvania where he was with a distributor, the distributor told him he shouldn't wear the rolex on their rounds because of the perception of the bar owners/bartenders. and i get that. i'm just not in those positions.

and if i'm traveling, i pay attention to where i'll be walking around and if it's sketchy, i pay more attention to what i bring with me. just to avoid being a target.
the "g" is for Greg...
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

A lot of great points have been made on this thread and I’m sure most of us can see both sides of this.

I’d agree that 99% of the time it will be only watch enthusiasts or criminals that can spot what watch you are wearing. Us weirdos can obviously spot an Explorer at 20 paces (I’ve been wearing mine for the past few days coincidentally), but in reality I’m just wearing a black dialled watch where those 5 letters are probably only 2mm tall, so pretty inconspicuous.

I’m unapologetically going to wear whichever of my watches I choose, recognising the risk of being in London (or other equivalent hotbed of crime!).

I’d like to think that colleagues at work and people in general will judge based on personal interactions, mutual respect and not the watch I’m wearing, car I’m driving etc.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

kiter65 wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 7:59 pm Perceptions???
I have thought long and hard about posting this, it’s a bit of a life story.
What a great post.

I'll even forgive you the emojis.

scooter
These users thanked the author scooter for the post:
kiter65
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
CBMVic20
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by CBMVic20 »

The only reason I wouldn't wear the Rolex is fear of getting robbed which is a sad indictment of our society as a whole. I mean what is the point of .... (snip. Ed)

Also, I think wearer personality comes into this as well. There will be modest types who wear a watch discreetly and are not interested in parading it for all and sundry to see. And there are also types for whom a Rolex is more a symbol of status and and wealth so they make sure it's flashed around on ThikTok and Instacack for likes.

You sound like a decent conscientious bloke who's self aware (otherwise why post the question) so I think if anyone had something to say about the Rolex, I'd hope it would be with a kind word rather than a cutting remark.

Side note: I think here in the UK, we generally have an attitude to not celebrate success and knock people down. Quite different to the places I've visited in the US. If you do well there, people aspire to achieving the same. Over here, it's more of a "knock them off their pedestal" approach and bring them down a peg or two.
These users thanked the author CBMVic20 for the post:
Tonywalker
CW C9 SH21 | C60 Apex SH21 | C65 SH21
Ernst Benz Chronoscope DLC
Oris WilliamsF1 Day Date 2004
Phoibos Leviathan DLC
Seiko 5 Sports Orange "Baby" Monster
Tag Aquaracer | F1 Panda

Too many watches, not enough time :(
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

@kiter65 That’s a very alternative Rolex story. Don’t judge a book by its cover, eh. You REALLY are a Rolex fan; I admire your dedication to your cause.

Des
These users thanked the author strapline for the post:
kiter65
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

nbg wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 3:44 pm
JAFO wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 2:23 pm The trouble is, I think you are kidding yourself if you don't think a Rolex would be noticed.
No David. You are kidding yourself if you think that all models of Rolex would be noticed!

And noticed by whom?

- anyone?
- a watch person?
- someone intent on relieving the owner of the watch?
- someone with no interest in watches?

Neil
This is kind of where I am landing. It isn't like we are talking about a gold Day-Date or a Daytona. Something with a lot more flash.

My wife wouldn't even clock an Oyster bracelet in public and I would consider her more knowledgeable about watches by association than most people.

The fact is you have always worn steel sports watches and given that nothing else about your person or persona will have changed it will just be perceived as another steel sports watch.

As far as people wondering if it is fake, I doubt most normal people even know there are fake watches out there unless they have bought one themselves, know someone who has or is interested in watches themselves. The fact is most people don't think about it at all.
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by watchaholic »

Your regular run of the mill person might however, notice a Bel Canto.
Time and money? I’ve spent most of mine on booze and women. The rest I just wasted…
Dwight
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

@watchaholic I don’t think so, Dwight. Most of the people I connect with regularly are completely ignorant of the existence of CW. They’re ignorant about most brands. In fact, it’s hard to comprehend the magnitude of the **** they do not give about watches. We’re a rare breed and a minority.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

rkovars wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 4:38 pm My wife wouldn't even clock an Oyster bracelet in public and I would consider her more knowledgeable about watches by association than most people.
Rich that sounds like my wife! :)

In much the same way every black dial, twisty bezel, steel cased, steel bracelet watch I wear is apparently indistinguishable, regardless of the brand. That is fine by me. :lol:

Neil
These users thanked the author nbg for the post:
rkovars
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
gwells
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by gwells »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 4:56 pm @watchaholic I don’t think so, Dwight. Most of the people I connect with regularly are completely ignorant of the existence of CW. They’re ignorant about most brands. In fact, it’s hard to comprehend the magnitude of the **** they do not give about watches. We’re a rare breed and a minority.
well... there's a difference between "noticing" and "understanding what you see." i have people who know nothing about watches that *notice* some of mine. i even have people who are just getting to know me that notice i wear different watches regularly. the young physical therapy assistant (probably right out of college) in my PT on Friday mentioned that she liked my watch and had noticed i was wearing a different one every time i came to therapy. she had no idea what kinds of watches, just that they were different. although to be fair she did at least recognize the omega name and was curious if i had any rolexes.
the "g" is for Greg...
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

gwells wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 6:09 pm …to be fair she did at least recognize the omega name and was curious if i had any rolexes.
Which I’m guessing didn’t surprise you too much, Greg. Whereas, has she enquired whether you had any Christopher Ward, Ulysse Nardin, Piaget or Christiaan van der Klaauw, your lower jaw would probably have hit the floor.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)