Other people’s perceptions

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
atnits
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 3665
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:21 pm
Location: England

Re: Other people’s perceptions

Post by atnits »

downer wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 3:58 pm I’m convinced the only people who notice watches are enthusiasts or robbers.
I expect you're right.

That said, I still feel self-conscious when wearing my little inconspicuous 6694 Oysterdate on a leather strap. Any other brand and I don't worry at all. That feeling will probably be the one that leads to my selling it in the end.
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 1004
Joined: Thu May 28, 2020 6:26 pm
CW-watches: 1

Re: Other people’s perceptions

Post by exHowfener »

It's a strange one isn't it? Some people seem to think that their own lifestyle is beyond reproach, while what other people spend is ridiculous extravagance.

I once worked with a trainee in our office who constantly moaned that everyone was paid more than her (true). She went onto a long diatribe once that we all had nicer cars than her and it wasn't fair. At the time, my car was a Skoda Favorit, so I wasn't used to dealing with envious comments :lol: I knew she and her Partner were smokers, so a few questions elicited the information that between them they smoked 60 a day and the cost. I quickly calculated that their combined spending on cigarettes, if saved, would have enabled them to pay cash for a new car every two years.

And that was the last time we had that conversation. I usually can't be bothered with people like that, but sometimes - enough is enough.
These users thanked the author exHowfener for the post (total 4):
Bahnstormer_vRSAmor Vincit OmniaTonywalkerrkovars
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 1637
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:14 am
CW-watches: 15
Location: FLX, NY, USA

Re: Other people’s perceptions

Post by thomcat00 »

Perceptions can be tricky to navigate. Those who work with the public, I feel, get scrutinized more closely and judged more quickly. That a public servant, such as a teacher or a health care worker, already perceived as lower status position would have such a seemingly expensive bauble would draw attention and scorn, much like the television host wearing the Kors watch gifted by her mother. It would be similar to the notion, “I’m struggling through life, how dare you flaunt something I can’t afford?” And also, because the wearer is supposed to be serving the public, clearly if they own such an item, they must be taking too much of the public dime of my tax dollars, even though we really do know they are not overpaid. Cut their pay immediately anyway! There are many people who would rather resent what others have than celebrate the others and their achievements.

Part of the issue is the perception and connotation attached to Rolex in particular. It is a conspicuous brand and a shorthand symbol of wealth, luxury, and status. I felt particularly proud of myself when I was able to get my first Rolex at 29, nearly half my life ago. I felt I’d reached some level of success. It was my reward. It was not to flaunt but to enjoy. I don’t worry about how others may perceive it or care what people think about me for owning one.
These users thanked the author thomcat00 for the post (total 4):
Amor Vincit OmniaiainjkbarnesTonywalker
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
User avatar
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
Posts: 3045
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:13 pm
CW-watches: 1

Re: Other people’s perceptions

Post by iain »

Thank you to everyone who has commented on this thread, there has been some very thought provoking points made. I had deliberately withheld replying to the posts as they came in during the day to let the conversation flow. My original post was intended to be quite open and I tried to ensure it didn’t put me on one side of the fence or the other, instead I was wanting to hear other peoples thoughts on the subject.

Let me share a story from my work in a previous job, similar to the role I’m doing now. I was once asked by HR to decide on a disciplinary case. The member of staff was found asleep at work and was being accused of gross misconduct and was looking at being fired. When I heard their story it changed my perspective. They were a single parent working 8 to 4 for the hospital, however once they clocked off they then went home, collected their children from the after school child minder to take them to their parents. They then started their second job at 6 and worked through until 11pm before collecting their kids, going home, trying to sleep and starting it all again, just to make ends meet. When people I work with are forced to live like this it puts a different perspective on things.

Whether my watch is recognised or not, whether someone looks at it and thinks it might be fake, or whether it is even noticed at all doesn’t really matter to me.

However when I think of that person in that situation I can’t even imagine, I can’t help thinking that I shouldn’t be wearing something that the person can’t even imagine ever owning themselves. Whether that registers with them isn’t the point.

However taking on board other comments, I will start wearing my explorer out more, just not at work.
These users thanked the author iain for the post (total 4):
jkbarnesBahnstormer_vRSRezn8rthomcat00
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
User avatar
Tonywalker
Guru
Guru
Posts: 328
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:42 pm
CW-watches: 26

Re: Other people’s perceptions

Post by Tonywalker »

I pined for a Rolex for many years, seeing many of my bosses wearing them and loving their prestige, history, and timeless style.I got myself a Bi-metal Oyster in 2004 and LOVED it.
Then I wanted a President and finally got one. Again, LOVED it. All for my pleasure and certainly not to impress anybody else.These days I have many CWs and thoroughly enjoy wearing a plethora of a mixture of watches, rather than always wearing the same watch. I don't think I could ever return to just owning ONE watch. It just doesn't make sense any longer. My mood changes often, often more than once a day. Many watches for many moods, seasons, events, weather etc etc and never a fear of being mugged.

Wear what suits the mood, your style, and your wishes.
Just be careful not to flash the kind of watch w*nkers are happy to relieve you of.

A SAD state of affairs, but there will always be envious/jealous people around. Enjoy wearing a Roley, but be conscious of your company/idiots around you👍
CW watch count - enough to keep me very happy, but always room for more!
Greatpotfarm
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
Posts: 562
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2022 3:21 pm
CW-watches: 0
Location: Nelson, New Hampshire

Re: Other people’s perceptions

Post by Greatpotfarm »

My sister in law owns a gorgeous MOP dialed Rolex, and she also does not feel comfortable wearing it at work, where she is surrounded by folks who make just enough money to support a family. I do understand your and her reluctance. Although for you, a Rolex represents a good watch, most others see it more as a status symbol (which I do believe is what Rolex wants).

I believe all you would have to do to rectify the situation though, would be to simply remove the Rolex from the dial... A piece of electricians tape would cover it up nicely, or a slightly moistened bamboo toothpick might successfully scratch it off without damage to the coat underneath.
Although I make the above comments in jest, I would like you to consider how much you would still like the watch with those 5 letters on the dial absent. Would it still be something you would be proud of wearing? If you do, I know somebody who could surgically excise that part of the dial for you... 😉 there are lots of gorgeous watch parts which one can not see due to that 5 letter word covering them up....🥰
These users thanked the author Greatpotfarm for the post:
jkbarnes
Dan
User avatar
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 2326
Joined: Tue May 07, 2019 3:00 pm
CW-watches: 0
Location: SW Ireland

Re: Other people’s perceptions

Post by strapline »

iain wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:42 am Thank you to everyone who has commented on this thread, there has been some very thought provoking points made. I had deliberately withheld replying to the posts as they came in during the day to let the conversation flow. My original post was intended to be quite open and I tried to ensure it didn’t put me on one side of the fence or the other, instead I was wanting to hear other peoples thoughts on the subject.

Let me share a story from my work in a previous job, similar to the role I’m doing now. I was once asked by HR to decide on a disciplinary case. The member of staff was found asleep at work and was being accused of gross misconduct and was looking at being fired. When I heard their story it changed my perspective. They were a single parent working 8 to 4 for the hospital, however once they clocked off they then went home, collected their children from the after school child minder to take them to their parents. They then started their second job at 6 and worked through until 11pm before collecting their kids, going home, trying to sleep and starting it all again, just to make ends meet. When people I work with are forced to live like this it puts a different perspective on things.

Whether my watch is recognised or not, whether someone looks at it and thinks it might be fake, or whether it is even noticed at all doesn’t really matter to me.

However when I think of that person in that situation I can’t even imagine, I can’t help thinking that I shouldn’t be wearing something that the person can’t even imagine ever owning themselves. Whether that registers with them isn’t the point.

However taking on board other comments, I will start wearing my explorer out more, just not at work.
Just reading your post this morning Iain, and catching up with the thread in general. Initially I thought your post was posing the question, what sort of message am I sending out by wearing a Rolex at work? And what might others perceptions be? It appears that it is more general than that and concerns you wearing a high value watch whilst other people you interact with on a day to day basis are clearly struggling to make ends meet.

However in your second post you say : I’ve worn all my watches to work without any worry. IWC, JLC, Zenith, Bremont and not been at all concerned. So why does Rolex feel different?

So, I'm not clear if this is specific to Rolex or just wearing any expensive watch at work?

Des
These users thanked the author strapline for the post:
rkovars
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
User avatar
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
Posts: 3045
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:13 pm
CW-watches: 1

Re: Other people’s perceptions

Post by iain »

strapline wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 8:25 am So, I'm not clear if this is specific to Rolex or just wearing any expensive watch at work?
My thoughts on this are entirely related to Rolex. As many have already pointed out, the vast majority of people won’t even notice what you are wearing and those that do will never have heard of the other brands I own so wouldn’t even consider it be an expensive watch. Therefore I don’t see it as an issue.

However everyone knows Rolex whether you know about watches or not. I can see how my last post might have clouded my point, but I suppose when I wear a watch I know no one would would notice what it was, it somehow doesn’t seem an issue if that makes sense.
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
User avatar
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
Posts: 3045
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:13 pm
CW-watches: 1

Re: Other people’s perceptions

Post by iain »

Greatpotfarm wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 5:07 am I know somebody who could surgically excise that part of the dial for you... 😉 there are lots of gorgeous watch parts which one can not see due to that 5 letter word covering them up....🥰
As tempting as that offer is Dan, I don’t think I’m ready for anything that dramatic yet.
These users thanked the author iain for the post:
Tonywalker
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
User avatar
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
Posts: 7225
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:21 am
CW-watches: 1
Location: East Anglia - arr 'aas right buh

Re: Other people’s perceptions

Post by tikkathree »

I think that behaving according to a perception of other people's feelings is fraught with pitfalls.

Someone said "You can't please all the people all the time" and that remains true today. But you really want to?
These users thanked the author tikkathree for the post:
Tonywalker
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20FLE
Some other brands
User avatar
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 13050
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:43 pm
CW-watches: 14
Location: UK

Re: Other people’s perceptions

Post by nbg »

The average retail price of a watch purchased in the UK is less than £200. We had better all stop wearing any “luxury” watches.

There is no doubt that the awareness of Rolex has increased over the last 10 years or so. But at the end of the day I reckon that most just wear it as a watch, at the end of the day that really is what it is.

Yes most adults in the UK have heard of Rolex and know that they make watches. That is vastly different than leaping to a conclusion that everyone would recognise the watch that someone is wearing is a mythical Rolex, nor would they have an inkling of the value.

I think that @downer is correct as to the reality of the two groups that recognise watches.

Last week a couple sat at a table about 2m from our table in a cafe. His watch was visible below his cuff. It took me at least four glances to correctly identify the watch. As for reading the name on the dial of a watch worn by a stranger? You really won’t be able to.

I think it is possible to be sympathetic to the daily hardship of those less fortunate than folk who spend their time on watch forums, discussing watches, holidays and cars, without thinking that the correct course of action is to not wear the watch. I can think of other actions I can take to improve the lot of those whose lives are a daily struggle trying to make ends meet.

Neil
These users thanked the author nbg for the post (total 3):
Tonywalkerstraplinetikkathree
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
User avatar
Amor Vincit Omnia
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 33604
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:34 pm
CW-watches: 4
Location: Norfolk, UK

Re: Other people’s perceptions

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

This is a fascinating discussion. I didn’t want to give the impression of being anti-Rolex yesterday, because I’m not. I’ve always acknowledged the excellence of the watches. Back in 2018 I was seriously considering getting an Explorer 1 (sorry, Neil, I don’t know the code :wink: ) for a retirement/exit watch in 2020.

I did visit the AD and was quoted about 4 months waiting time. I had an acceptable purchase history with them (Cartier/Omega). It was around the time that talk of prices, wait lists, purchase history and targeted crime were really escalating. I went off the idea.

My retirement didn’t go as originally planned because of Covid, and I ended up going in a different direction.

Anyway, @iain and others, I do understand your reticence about wearing your watch in certain situations, though I think it’s a shame. As @nbg says, they’re watches (good ones), they’re not to blame for the aura people have surrounded them with.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time


Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
User avatar
NigelS
Expert
Expert
Posts: 202
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2023 8:02 am
CW-watches: 2
Location: Stone, Staffs, UK

Re: Other people’s perceptions

Post by NigelS »

StrappedUp wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:17 am . . . . . . . Re cars, these can also be seen in a similar light to a degree. I know of down-to-earth people who have "done good", bought a car they'd always wanted, only to find some jealous t**t has run a key down the side or similar.
Or stolen it! I am happy to drive a 17 year old Ford Fiesta because I thought it was un-nickable - until now, that is! "According to data released by the DVLA, in 2022 the Ford Fiesta rose to become the most stolen car in the UK." Yikes, and I thought no-one ever noticed it :lol:
'Life is Art, and not otherwise' C.S.Lewis
BobMunro
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
Posts: 629
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:08 am
CW-watches: 14
Location: Cheshire, UK

Re: Other people’s perceptions

Post by BobMunro »

I am very fortunate to own four Rolex (all bought new at list price). I own them because they are bloody good watches and all have been special treats, either bought by myself or as gifts from my beautiful wife. I'm lucky to own other very fine watches as well.

Do I wear them very regularly, including at work? Hell, yes - watches are to be worn and enjoyed otherwise what's the point? Would I wear them wandering the streets in London or Manchester? No, unless in significant company and even then tucked neatly under my cuff. I do not care what other people think if they recognise any of my watches, other than some scrote who might fancy stealing then from me, and for that I take very special care to stay alert - perhaps a consequence of my south London streetwise upbringing. I recently went on a business trip to Bogota - an Apple watch accompanied me!

So in summary - don't take unnecessary risks, but enjoy your watches as they were intended to be enjoyed - on the wrist.
These users thanked the author BobMunro for the post (total 2):
Tonywalkerscooter
Time flies whether you're having fun or not. The choice is yours.
User avatar
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 2326
Joined: Tue May 07, 2019 3:00 pm
CW-watches: 0
Location: SW Ireland

Re: Other people’s perceptions

Post by strapline »

nbg wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:51 am I think it is possible to be sympathetic to the daily hardship of those less fortunate than folk who spend their time on watch forums, discussing watches, holidays and cars, without thinking that the correct course of action is to not wear the watch. I can think of other actions I can take to improve the lot of those whose lives are a daily struggle trying to make ends meet.

Neil
This is certainly true. The world is full of inequality and suffering unfortunately. Being sympathetic to it and helping out when you can by whatever means you can is as much as can be expected. Therefore, stop buying and wearing Rolex...only kidding. :lol:

Seriously, be grateful for what you have. It's only material stuff at the end of the day. There is much going on in the world, certainly right now, that makes this discussion feel somewhat redundant. Clearly, we're all quite fortunate folk on here.

Des
These users thanked the author strapline for the post (total 2):
iainnbg
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?