One amazing vs many nice

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
holyk
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 2

One amazing vs many nice

Post by holyk »

As I look over my collection it occurs to me I could've bought an Omega Speedmaster with what I paid for my collection. However I think I made the right choice as I like having the variety and being able to switch between them. How about you guys?
highway62

Re: One amazing vs many nice

Post by highway62 »

My lot at purchase prices would come to approx £5k . Don't think there is a single watch at that cost which I would prefer to my motley crew.
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Although my total my be a bit higher that Highways....Good grief...I am agreeing with him :lol: ......

I must say..
Don't think there is a single watch at that cost which I would prefer to my motley crew.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
downer
CW-watches: 4

Post by downer »

Kip wrote:Good grief...I am agreeing with him :lol: ......
Gotta be the jet lag. :)
Richard
ianblyth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 19
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-five: Yes
LE-six: Yes

Post by ianblyth »

I think the key is "amazing". I have bought Breitlings and Omegas, had a hard look at Rolex and been amazed by the price of IWC and Philip Patek watches that I have seen in ADs. While they are nice they did not come across as amazing. In fact I get more joy out of some of my cheaper watches rather than the more expensive ones. Once you get past the "one watch for telling the time" then you are into likes and preferences which can change over time. I have heard many a story about people hunting grails only to be dissatisfied when they got the grail as part of the fun was in the chase. Whether to go for one or many is a choice that is personal to everyone. And over time that may change.
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." Anais Nin
highway62

Post by highway62 »

downer wrote:
Kip wrote:Good grief...I am agreeing with him :lol: ......
Gotta be the jet lag. :)
Law of averages, it's bound to happen occasionally..
theaub
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by theaub »

I've gone the other way - cleared out a number of cheaper watches - including a couple of CWs - to purchase one that I've wanted for a long time. I'm happy with my decision.
gbbird
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by gbbird »

I'm definitely in the 'have many decent watches as opposed to just one very expensive one'
Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day

CW - C60 blue, C60 black orange, C600 tit, FLE13
Gerlach - Orp Sokol, P50, LuxSport. Ball Engineer
Omega Speedmaster. Oris Aquis
Longines Hydroconquest
Magrette - Regattare, DualTime, Moana
gwells
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by gwells »

i like to have my cake and eat it, too.

so i like one amazing and many nice. :)
the "g" is for Greg...
vikingdrvr
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by vikingdrvr »

I've struggled with this question for awhile now and although my feelings on the subject are changing a bit, I'm still basically in the camp of 'many nice'. I really take pleasure and enjoyment from picking, setting, and swapping pieces once or twice a day and each choice puts a big smile on my face. I've been saving for that 'something really special' watch but frankly I question whether I could actually relax enough to enjoy having such an expensive piece on my wrist. So the fund just sits there for now...could be an Omega or similar someday-or-could be four or five lesser known, more unique pieces to put in the rotation. Lord knows, this forum presents a seemingly endless supply that fit into that category!
vikingdrvr

InComing: nada
InTheBox: C60 GMT, C7, C7IRR, C70 D-Type, C8, C11. Steinies: Nav B/OVM/OceanTi500/Racetimer X2/Chrono II. Others: SMP300M Chrono, SMdV, Alpina X2, Tissot Chrono, LLD, Heuer 2000 Auto, Breil...
Emily DT, Charlotte Deco, Coral (wife’s)
Berkshire

Post by Berkshire »

holyk wrote:As I look over my collection it occurs to me I could've bought an Omega Speedmaster with what I paid for my collection. However I think I made the right choice as I like having the variety and being able to switch between them. How about you guys?
When I totalled my collection for insurance purposes I had a similar thought, but one watch would never have given me the enjoyment of several. :D
Skribble5
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 2

Post by Skribble5 »

Perfect answer! Exactly my thoughts too...
gwells wrote:i like to have my cake and eat it, too.

Got: IWC Portofino, CW C60 scooter blue, CW C60 orange GMT, Raymond Weil Don Giovanni, Frederique Constant Art Deco
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

I suspect I am like many other people who go through cycles of thinking on this topic. I do like the idea of one amazing and many nice. As I said a week or two back, I'm in quite a good place at the moment, and very happy with the size, quality and scope of my collection. I would appear to have all bases covered.

This would be a very good time for me to say that I will stick with what I have, and desist from further watch purchases until such time as I have saved up enough money to be able to buy a van der Klaauw. But then, I have said things like that before. In recent months I have walked away from both a Speedmaster and a Longines triple date moonphase chronograph. Neither one was quite the grail watch I was looking for.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Richard B
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Richard B »

gwells wrote:i like to have my cake and eat it, too.

Me too!

However, I believe that one amazing will always be the best way.
So I wish I was James Bond, just for the day.
Kissing all the girls, blow the bad guys away.
diver69
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 1

Post by diver69 »

Hi All,

I just seen this thread now by typing 'IWC' into the search engine...............Bear with me, I am going somewhere with this!!!

Last week I stumbled across a previously owned IWC at a Rolex AD, I was absolutely SMITTEN. The most Stunning. quality watch I have ever handled. A completely different league. I had to get it.

Anyway, I sold 6 watches in the last week in an effort to minimise the credit card damage, watches that I liked, but was not really (or remotely) passionate about.

I type this with the IWC on my wrist................Happy days.

I think this has made me consider my watch collection in a new light, and I see a serious 'thinning' of my collection in the next few weeks. So, to the original question - "One amazing vs many nice" I think I am moving in the direction of quality over quantity. Just my experience.

Whilst I am not so keen on CWL's latest offerings, rest assured my C600 rests securely in my watch case.......... :D

PS: Any IWC fans here? They are new to me, but I am blown away.

Take it easy,

Diver
Diver

Omega Seamaster
Tag Heuer Formula 1
IWC Aquatimer 2000
CW C600
Bernhardt Seashark
Bernhardt Officer