Ocean depth comparison

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Ocean depth comparison

Post by nbg »

I saw this animation posted on another forum and found it interesting enough to post here.

Hopefully the graphic at a 332 metre depth will be sufficient to reassure forumites that the only reason to buy a watch with say 600m WR, is because you like the look of the watch. Not because you need 600m WR for your activities. :)

Neil
Last edited by Bahnstormer_vRS on Sat Jun 24, 2023 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed YouTube links; need to be www.youtube.com/watch?v=. . . . (not youtu.be/)
These users thanked the author nbg for the post (total 7):
watchaholicAmor Vincit Omniajkbarneskiter65rkovarsStifthomcat00
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Noush
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Re: Ocean depth comparison

Post by Noush »

Video certainly very well done, Neil :thumbup:
Personally I max out around the 5m mark.
These users thanked the author Noush for the post:
Stif
Chris
"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans" : John Lennon.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Certainly puts this week's news into perspective! :(
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

I’ve seen that before. It’s a very cool video. That channel produces really neat visual comparison videos.
Drew
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

That's a great animation, Neil, thanks for sharing it. I have dived on a number of occasions to 40mtrs which is the maximum safe depth while breathing compressed air, after that it becomes toxic due to the law of partial pressures. It's a lot of water over your head, trust me. You can also feel the pressure; any airspace in your body (principally the lungs) is reduced to a fifth of the volume of what they are at the surface. This offers some kind of perspective for the tragic events that have unfolded in the mid Atlantic over the last few days.

Des
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

Excellent, thank you.
timor54
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by timor54 »

Also this: https://neal.fun/deep-sea/ for a view on what sea creatures you’ll find all the way down the pelagic zone.

I’ve only dived to 20-25m and you can certainly feel the pressure even then. A 600m dive watch is really only an ornament at the end of the day.
These users thanked the author timor54 for the post (total 2):
rkovarsthomcat00
Tim
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

These animations are great. They illustrate how deep and big the ocean really is. I really liked the end of the one Tim posted where you have to scroll and scroll before getting to the final depth of Trieste.

You can feel the pressure at the bottom of a 10-15 foot pool even (6.5 psi -- fresh water a little less, sea water a little more -it is more dense. At 130 feet in the ocean there would be 57 psi). There is enough pressure at recreational depths to compress your wetsuit enough that a watch on a NATO can become uncomfortably loose (this is the genius of the Pelagos bracelet - it contracts as the pressure increases so that it is always tight). At 600 m that pressure is 873 psi. The Trieste which went to the bottom of the Mariana Trench in 1960 had 15892 psi on the hull. Another interesting fact for the engineering minded is that the Trieste was pretty much a balloon filled with aviation fuel. The fuel doesn't compress under pressure so it created a barrier that allowed for maintaining equal pressure between the interior and exterior. A pretty ingenious machine.

I've designed equipment to operate in some pretty harsh environments. The last place you want your equipment to be operating in a harsh environment is at the limit of the specs. I'm not saying that there aren't limits where stuff just gets silly (Rolex Deepsea Challenge 11000m, Planet Ocean 6000m) but we should not dismiss this fact out of the gate before we start saying no one needs more than 30 meters. Although with watches there is some amount of over engineering built in. Usually about 25% or so. 600m is getting pretty close to the silly space.
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

I’ve never dived and I don’t suppose I would now. So I tend to use the top metre or so of any body of water I happene to be in. I swim mostly when I go to the gym but I always put my watch away in the locker before I go wet side, because I invariably end up in the steam room, sauna, Jacuzzi and occasionally all three if I have time! I sometimes wear my G-Shock and don’t bother to take that off. I tend to take my watch off before showering, but not if I’m doing something like washing the dishes or cleaning the car.

On a beach holiday I’m in and out of the pool and the sea all the time, so my one watch for the fortnight has to have enough WR to feel comfortable with. The Sealander GMT and MeisterSinger Metris are both fine in that respect, and I’d also be happy to take the new Twelve Ti. I’m going back to Greece for the beginning of September, so it will be an interesting choice. I’ve never needed massive WR, just as I’ve never really needed a GMT for travelling. But it’s a nice conceit to have.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)