Nova Scotia Wildfires

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Nova Scotia Wildfires

Post by thomcat00 »

I expect some have seen the news of the pre-summer wildfires across Canada. The Nova Scotia fires impact vast swaths of the province, and the smoke spreads even farther. It’s bad here in central New York, over 900 miles *southeast [edit: correction southwest, typing too fast and missed the autocorrect ] of the fires. And closer to NS is, of course, much, much worse.
6D06D3B9-BFC2-4B36-A013-A743C2015B32.png
The air quality has gotten to hazardous levels. And it’s like nothing I’ve seen here before. There is supposed to be a lake in this pic. Cayuga is a lake 40 miles long and 3 miles wide. The pic below it is from roughly the same vantage in early spring.
E645ADAE-B6BD-4847-8AE2-BDBE93618E03.jpeg
Taken by a friend from about two miles from the lake shore.
84314C74-E3B3-4F99-B1F0-3F690AB5C895.jpeg
I’ve spent many summer vacations in Nova Scotia, and I have a number of friends and family there directly impacted by the fires. They’ve all had to evacuate; a few have lost livestock, homes, and/or businesses. Because it is a very rural area, even more remote than where I am, most fire departments are volunteers. Several cousins are on the front lines with the fires.
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Re: Nova Scotia Wildfires

Post by rkovars »

The New Hampshire wildland firefighters (Hot Shots) have been deployed up there to help fight the fires (saw them talking about it on the news). Big respect for those guys. That is tough work. We have had that eerie haze here too.
These users thanked the author rkovars for the post:
thomcat00
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

thomcat00 wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:48 pm 900 miles southeast of the fires...
900 miles?? :o
I’m ignorant of geography and weather patterns but this really makes me stop and think. Definitely puts a scale on this for me...
These users thanked the author missF for the post:
thomcat00
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by thomcat00 »

missF wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:07 pm
thomcat00 wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:48 pm 900 miles southeast of the fires...
900 miles?? :o
I’m ignorant of geography and weather patterns but this really makes me stop and think. Definitely puts a scale on this for me...
Corrected the direction, I’m _west_ not east.
29634883-FFED-41CF-991B-A6C8653C58B7.jpeg
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
gwells
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by gwells »

it's not nearly as bad in DC, but it was definitely very hazy and smelled off when i went to work this morning.
These users thanked the author gwells for the post:
thomcat00
the "g" is for Greg...
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by ajax87 »

Yep, the haze and smell is reaching all the way here to Michigan, some 1400 miles Southwest. Though it’s not nearly as bad as in the Northeast. It’s a terrible thing. Much of the eastern USA is in a drought and in danger of sparking wildfires as well.
These users thanked the author ajax87 for the post:
thomcat00
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster mk40|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
Peteo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4
LE-two: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Post by Peteo »

Part of my work involves monitoring air conditions in the US. I had a impromptu work call a couple hours ago thanks to a White House request for information by 0730 tomorrow morning.

Luckily, I don't actually have to pull the info together, so I can go to sleep. Indications are that conditions should improve by Friday (for the US, I mean), but it's hard to say, really. At least, that's what the actual scientists tell me.

Wildfires really are becoming more of a problem for a larger swath of North America. It's not just a California and South Western problem anymore. We are getting red flag warnings earlier in the year for areas that rarely used to get them.
These users thanked the author Peteo for the post:
thomcat00
Peteo
4x Christopher Ward, 2x Grand Seiko, 2x Sinn, 1x A. Lange & Sohne, 1x H. Moser & Cie, 1x Towson Watch Company, 1x Tudor, 1x Omega, 1x Casio, 1x Bremont. What's Next?
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

Peteo wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 4:15 am
Wildfires really are becoming more of a problem for a larger swath of North America. It's not just a California and South Western problem anymore. We are getting red flag warnings earlier in the year for areas that rarely used to get them.
They seem to be becoming more of a problem in Europe too and in Scotland even, a wildfire has been burning in the Highlands for over 2 weeks. You have to think this is down to global warming at least in part. That is mind boggling and quite scary that the smoke can travel as far as NYC. I read that Jodie Comer even stopped performing her one woman show on Broadway last night partway during the performance due to the air quality.

Kudos to the brave firefighters and other volunteers tackling these fires.
These users thanked the author Thegreyman for the post:
thomcat00
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way