Not Buying Watches

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Not Buying Watches

Post by JAFO »

I actually have more mechanical watches than I am comfortable to admit. I try to wear most of them, but it means that they all get worn relatively infrequently. The Chinese homages in particular see little action.

As a result, I have reached the point where I rarely buy watches now. I think CW watches are terrific, and there's loads I could buy. I am sorely tempted by a watch in the current Jura watches sale mentioned in the bargains thread. Forum members post loads of beautiful watches.

Someone on Watchuseek just posted this interesting Teddy Baldasarre video.

I have passed through the stage of buying liberally and I have now reached a stage of hardly buying at all. I know I am unlikely to wear any watch for more than maybe 15 wears a year, and as such it's just difficult to buy any watch, despite the many beautiful examples I see. Rather than gradually getting inured to buying expensive watches, I think I have gone the other way, and become very reluctant to buy at all.

I will sort the YouTube tags out when I am on my PC.

iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Re: Not Buying Watches

Post by iain »

You seem to have reached a point where you are happy with what you have and I’ll bet there are many people who would wish they could reach that stage of collecting.

For me it’s not so much about the numbers as I’ve a relatively small collection, but it’s more about the value and money that I have sunk into my collection.

I’d like to say I’m done but I know that’s not true. What I have decided though is not to get in any deeper. Any new purchases are now balanced out with a sale or trade and I’m certainly not looking to grow the amount I’ve spent much higher.
These users thanked the author iain for the post:
JAFO
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
Noush
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Noush »

It's quite the Rabbit Hole many of us find ourselves in. Temptation at every turn it seems.
We buy them (I prefer 'acquire', it seems less expensive....) because we just know we will enjoy them. But that requires actually wearing them.
I admit to 14 now and there are 7 days in a week: the maths is not complicated. Another one? It'd better be compelling!
Watches I never anticipated wearing to the rough and tumble of the workplace, get worn there now because for goodness sake they are for enjoying.
I don't flip, they are all part of the journey, and it's a journey I've enjoyed at every turn.

Contentment is a tough thing to find and enjoy just for what that is. I hope you are finding yours. In the mirror I think the same.
These users thanked the author Noush for the post:
JAFO
Chris
"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans" : John Lennon.
sinner777
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by sinner777 »

I have the "its the chase" syndrome.

With my vintage obsession, I hardly ever wear vintage timepieces, but I have them non the less.

Mostly I wear Tudor tbh. Its discreet, dead accurate and also tough as nails. It is probably my escape timepiece. If I was forced to wear one watch, this would be the one.

As it comes to the sheer volume of watches I have, I have been giving them away lately. My partner has her own box with watches, most of my friends have been given with watches I finally got around to fix (mainly quartz watches) and also I have dozen of watches in various stages of repair.

And still... The chase is on.

These users thanked the author sinner777 for the post:
JAFO
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

I was done, and happy. But I always posted the escape clause that I could still be swayed by something exceptional.

It helps when CW has a year like 2022 when they don’t make anything I really want: Aquitaine, T3.1, Dune, little rainbow Sealanders…I was tempted by the Bel Canto but stood firm.

But now this…incoming imminent (I think).
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Noush
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Noush »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 7:57 am I could still be swayed by something exceptional.

But now this…incoming imminent (I think).
For the first part, yeah I think I'm at the point where ticking boxes won't cut it, it has to smash the door down.

For the second bit....in malum vexare, Steve :)
Chris
"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans" : John Lennon.
sinner777
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by sinner777 »

PSA: no more watches for me for a while.

I have few projects to finish, few incoming and thats it...

Reason?

Dentist. I have serious issues with teeth and cost will be... Astronomic.

Plan: keep the Tudor, finish the rehaul of broken crown and stem assembly on Orient Triton, finish the 18k gold Darwil project, rehaul the incoming Omega 14702 SC.

Rest will go.

tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by tikkathree »

Is this thread some kind of mutual support and confessional? :silent:

Err, what's a chap to say really? Well having given this about twenty seconds' thought I'm here:

1. What's the next CW watch to hit the market and when'll it be?
2. Where's me FLE? I am so looking forward to that arriving not only in it's own right but also as a stopgap in the event of the answer to 1. being "nothing I fancy"**
3. My C3 in for service: I'm ready for that back in the house.
4. I keep browsing CW watches on EBay looking for something to catch my eye. Ditto Ward Hoard and, of course, this lovely forum.
5. I keep managing to sidestep AliExpress sales but I know there's another sale next week and were I to suffer a failure of willpower there might be one, two or three little trinkets but my willpower is strong.
6. I'm not looking at anything else with Omega on the dial, nor Brellum. Well, mostly nothing.
7. I've been scraping the bottom drawer and I've got a dozen Vostok/Amphibia/Komandirskie watches in front of me which are being wound and run through a few cycles and which will march in single file towards EBay with £0.99 start bids: they'll sell for whatever.
8. I need to wear my Baltic MR01 again this week or it might slip by the wayside. (Afterthought: got someone coming for dinner later so I'll widn it and set it now.)
9. My social life has changed recently, it's something of which I'm in control but the opportunities to wear watch X, Y or Z at organised events have largely ground to a halt. These leaves watches X, Y and Z looking a little vulnerable.

School report summary: "Peter has demonstrated the ability and will-power to actively participate in a little light thinning which has given rise to feelings of gentle satisfaction and growing self control. "

** The FLE: I keep up with the thread so I know not to get excited before the 25th of July :lol:
These users thanked the author tikkathree for the post (total 6):
rkovarsmissFthomcat00PeteoThegreymanGreatpotfarm
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20FLE
Some other brands
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

@tikkathree - brilliant post! :lol: :clap:
Peteo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4
LE-two: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Post by Peteo »

Love the OP and Peter's reply. Good reading. I particularly like the mental image of a bottom drawer full of Vostoks. :)

Personally, I know I am nowhere near done. I just hope to be more discerning in the future. I have 15 (16 if you count an Apple Watch that was a gift), and I'd like to get down to something like 10. I hope I don't get to 20. Like many here, I hope to at least be able to sell as new ones come in. I also am now navigating the dynamics of marriage, and while I don't have to consult my partner on watch purchases, I recognize that she thinks my hobby is silly and yet is trusting enough not to ask many questions.

Luckily, fewer watches tempt me these days.That said, in the last two years of my 10 or so serious targets, I've bought 5 and so far passed on 5. I don't have any "holes" in my collection except that I'd still like to add a JLC someday, but honestly, no JLC has quite done it for me yet, which makes me wonder why the desire for one is still there. Probably something to do with the nebulous concept of collector's cred, as if 15 isn't enough of it!
Peteo
4x Christopher Ward, 2x Grand Seiko, 2x Sinn, 1x A. Lange & Sohne, 1x H. Moser & Cie, 1x Towson Watch Company, 1x Tudor, 1x Omega, 1x Casio, 1x Bremont. What's Next?
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

I just fixed the YouTube link in the first post.
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

I’d sell up and stop buying forever if this were ever to appear. Can’t be a grail if it doesn’t exist so this is just an ice dream 8-[

C7EC76EB-26DF-47F5-ADD3-4AF7AF44DAD5.jpeg

https://www.everestbands.com/blogs/beze ... explorer-1
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by ajax87 »

Peteo wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:24 pm ...I'd still like to add a JLC someday, but honestly, no JLC has quite done it for me yet, which makes me wonder why the desire for one is still there. Probably something to do with the nebulous concept of collector's cred, as if 15 isn't enough of it!
If your ALS and your new Moser don't give you enough collector's cred, then I firmly believe nothing will :lol:

Joking aside I understand what you mean. JLC is a grail brand for many serious watchy people for a good reason.
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster mk40|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
Greatpotfarm
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 0

Post by Greatpotfarm »

I am not sure, but maybe I am at an earlier stage of collecting time gages...
I only wear a tiny part of the watches I own, the rest I just appreciate.

For what is a collection really, if not an amassing of items that one thinks are beautiful yet unnecessary.
If one is a stamp collector, will that person lick every stamp they acquire and paste it on an envelope for its proper use of paying for shipping, or will that person carefully store it, cocooned in cellophane, inside an album to be admired at will?
I can see a collector of matchbox cars getting down on the floor, like a child, and pushing some models from his collection around from time to time (racing the '65 Mustang against the Audi Quattro), but he/she? will most likely be gazing at them lovingly on the display shelves.
The examples could go on and on... And what some people collect is much crazier than time gages!

I love watches. I collect them for their esthetic value, for their individual beauty... yes, most of them will fulfill their practical duty of accurately displaying the passage of time, but that is not the reason I own them. I enjoy looking at them. I also enjoy showing them off to visitors, explaining the little details that make them special, how they function, what they measure, what period in history they come from and how they relate to social, economical, and sometimes even political situations of their time.
To me, that is what watch collecting is for, not just to have something to wear on my wrist.

So for the time being, I feel confident in saying that I don't foresee any letting off in my watch acquiring endeavour as long as I am still financially able to put food on the table (so to say) and add the odd piece to my collection.
These users thanked the author Greatpotfarm for the post (total 3):
missFthomcat00Kip
Dan