New project underway

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
NationOfLaws
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

New project underway

Post by NationOfLaws »

Some of you know that building things is a passion of mine. In the past few years I’ve built a bunch of amps and speakers from kits, and I’ve started a new set from my favorite company - Bottlehead. These are beta releases of their new speaker kit called Pipettes. I started today by giving the alder front plates and the sapele plywood cabinets a coat of Odie’s Oil finish.

If people are interested I can update as the build progresses. And if not I can just send the photos to my mother who swears she’s proud of me.
IMG_0669.jpeg
IMG_0670.jpeg
These users thanked the author NationOfLaws for the post (total 4):
jkbarneskiter65Chris GBStif
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Re: New project underway

Post by jkbarnes »

Definitely interested, so please keep this thread updated.

Can you provide a little background about the kit? What exactly does a speaker kit include?
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post:
Stif
Drew
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

Yes please - learning about random things is a passion of mine :thumbup:
These users thanked the author missF for the post:
NationOfLaws
NationOfLaws
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by NationOfLaws »

jkbarnes wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 8:32 pm Definitely interested, so please keep this thread updated.

Can you provide a little background about the kit? What exactly does a speaker kit include?
Great question. The kit includes CNC fabricated panels for the cabinet, the sides of which have some internal bracing applied already. It also includes felt diffusers to surround the driver, the drivers themselves, the components to make the speakers work (I have to solder this stuff together myself), and some stuffing to deaden the speakers internally.

Bottlehead is well-respected because of their detailed assembly instructions and incredible customer service. The instructions come on a custom USB drive with the logo engraved on it (see below), and the team has a forum they monitor for questions and provide prompt guidance. I’m not exaggerating in the least when I say people of any skill level could buy a practice kit on Amazon to familiarize themselves with soldering techniques and immediately build a Bottlehead kit using their instructions.
D98BCE02-7922-4A53-A8CE-3BBE56238F44.jpeg
These users thanked the author NationOfLaws for the post (total 2):
jkbarnesStif
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

@NationOfLaws, exactly what I was curious about. Thanks! This will be a fun project to follow.
Drew
gwells
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by gwells »

hrm... interesting. it makes me want to buy a kit and laser engrave the #### out of it before i assemble them.
These users thanked the author gwells for the post (total 3):
jkbarnesNationOfLawsStif
the "g" is for Greg...
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

@NationOfLaws
Delmar, what's going to be inside the speakers? Tweeters, base driver etc. I assume the package include all of that.

I hope they can go up to 11. :D
NationOfLaws
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by NationOfLaws »

They are 85dB sensitive folded tapered pipe speakers using Alpair-5 drivers. I don’t know what most of that sentence means. I do know, however, that they’re meant for desktop or near field listening. They won’t blow the doors off the place. I have a subwoofer standing by, too; I have a feeling they may have a bit of improvement needed on the low-end. We’ll see!
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

An intriguing project and maybe I'm missing the point, but having looked them up on Bottlehead's website, they seem to be a great cabinet but not much speaker being only "Power handling 5W max" or is it that the "desktop or near field listening." means, in practical terms, within 1m - 2m proximity (in which case you don't want them too loud). :-k :-k

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
NationOfLaws
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by NationOfLaws »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:28 pm An intriguing project and maybe I'm missing the point, but having looked them up on Bottlehead's website, they seem to be a great cabinet but not much speaker being only "Power handling 5W max" or is it that the "desktop or near field listening." means, in practical terms, within 1m - 2m proximity (in which case you don't want them too loud). :-k :-k

Guy
Bottlehead makes tube amps which are sometimes called “flea powered”. The amp I plan to use with these has a max output of 2 watts per channel. It’ll still be plenty loud.

Some of the exorbitant wattage ratings from other manufacturers are marketing bluster. Plenty more on that topic here.
These users thanked the author NationOfLaws for the post (total 4):
Bahnstormer_vRSjkbarnesmissFStif
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by ajax87 »

That’s pretty cool! Can’t wait to see the finished product. I just gobbled up the whole story of this on their website. It say only 3 kits went out in the beta, and you’ve got one!

The sapele is beautiful. I just played a buddies Taylor 314ce guitar, which has sapele body and Sitka top. It’s not too different from my Taylor 214ce with Sitka and rosewood, but sounds worlds different. A good quality wood has a big impact on a resonant body. The specs show this should sound great :thumbup:
These users thanked the author ajax87 for the post (total 3):
jkbarnesNationOfLawsStif
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster mk40|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
NationOfLaws
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by NationOfLaws »

It turns out that this Bottlehead build is substantially less involved than others in their lineup. No soldering required - just a couple screwdrivers and wood finish. Corner miters are cut on the table saw or CNC, but are locked in place using these great little clips.
IMG_0682.png
The shape and angle of this interior baffle somehow influences the sound. I’d be lying if I told you I knew why. But I installed it and some polyfill in the voids in the cabinet.
IMG_0683.png
IMG_0684.png
I was able to complete one tonight. I mentioned this earlier, but this is a beta run. I’ve been asked to provide feedback. I had an opportunity tonight when I told the team a speaker’s worth of screws were missing. It’s no big deal - it’ll cost me $5 at Home Depot tomorrow to get the missing screws. The driver is installed - perhaps too tightly. I’ll have to see when the second speaker is complete and I hook them up.
IMG_0685.png
IMG_0686.png
These users thanked the author NationOfLaws for the post (total 5):
Bahnstormer_vRSgannetajax87jkbarnesStif
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

ajax87 wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 3:39 am The sapele is beautiful. I just played a buddies Taylor 314ce guitar, which has sapele body and Sitka top.
Ah! Wee lightbulb moment for me. It had never crossed my mind that the speaker cabinet is important in terms of the sound that comes out. The comparison with guitars makes it instantly clear! :thumbup:
These users thanked the author missF for the post:
ajax87
NationOfLaws
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by NationOfLaws »

IMG_0824.jpeg
These are complete and are breaking in now. Some of you asked whether the minuscule size and power rating would make them effectively worthless. The answer is no: I’m sitting in my regular listening place with the amp set to about 25% volume and it’s plenty loud. I’d go a bit higher if my wife wasn’t on a call.
These users thanked the author NationOfLaws for the post (total 5):
jkbarnesBahnstormer_vRSajax87GreatpotfarmStif
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

Fascinating read. Maybe a dumb question but the speakers are relatively tall, is this partly to deliver the sound quality or is it purely aesthetic?

I could just hear my wife say “do they have to be that big” :problem:
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way