New project underway

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
NationOfLaws
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Re: New project underway

Post by NationOfLaws »

Thegreyman wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 8:00 pm Fascinating read. Maybe a dumb question but the speakers are relatively tall, is this partly to deliver the sound quality or is it purely aesthetic?

I could just hear my wife say “do they have to be that big” :problem:
To be clear, there are two sets of speakers in that photo. The lighter colored ones in front are the new ones. My understanding, limited as it is, is that you design speaker cabinets with a specific interior volume in mind to achieve the sound you're looking for. So yes, they have to be that big to sound like what the designers intended.
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

^^^got it. On my phone it looked like one large speaker but zooming in I can see the smaller one in front.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
NationOfLaws
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by NationOfLaws »

Thegreyman wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 8:40 pm ^^^got it. On my phone it looked like one large speaker but zooming in I can see the smaller one in front.
It's not a great photo. I'll post more later.
Chris GB
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 2

Post by Chris GB »

Interesting build! I'm guessing that the internal baffle in the cabinet produces a tunnel creating a long duct behind the driver that ends at the gap at the bottom of the cabinet. This would make them a transmission line design, a method of loading the driver for optimal bass output and drive unit control. If so, ensure the join to the cabinet walls is airtight.

Regarding power, the lower frequencies are where power is needed and these drivers look like they avoid that. Even in relatively big power systems, most of the music lives in the first Watt. The power is only really needed to drive big transients and low frequencies.

Out of interest, what are the speakers lurking in the background? They look very interesting.
C63 Sealander - Hunter Green. Twelve Ti -Purple. C65 Aquitaine - Seagrass Green. On order: C63 SH21 Blue Marine (delayed 4 months plus 3 months plus 3 weeks. So far). C1 Bel Canto - Voila (delayed). Waiting. Endless waiting.
NationOfLaws
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by NationOfLaws »

Chris GB wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 11:13 pm Interesting build! I'm guessing that the internal baffle in the cabinet produces a tunnel creating a long duct behind the driver that ends at the gap at the bottom of the cabinet. This would make them a transmission line design, a method of loading the driver for optimal bass output and drive unit control. If so, ensure the join to the cabinet walls is airtight.

Regarding power, the lower frequencies are where power is needed and these drivers look like they avoid that. Even in relatively big power systems, most of the music lives in the first Watt. The power is only really needed to drive big transients and low frequencies.

Out of interest, what are the speakers lurking in the background? They look very interesting.
They’re also a kit from Bottlehead. They’re called Jägers and they’re unfortunately retired due to cost of materials, I believe.
These users thanked the author NationOfLaws for the post:
Chris GB