Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Movement hacking question

Post by missF »

My IWC pilot mark xvi is not hacking :(
I’ve just wound it and reset the time, and it appears to be running fine. I’m reluctant to try and pull the crown out any further to see if it will hack.

My questions
Is there a common mechanical cause for this happening?
Does it need looked at now or will the watch run fine without hacking until it’s next service (which isn’t due for a few years)?

Edit : is this my fault / something I’m doing wrong when I adjust the movement? I’m always nervous about adjusting watch movements, though this one feels robust and sturdy...
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Re: Movement hacking question

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

I don't know the specifics of your IWC or the Movement used, but you're in good company Lindsey.

My Breguet Type XX Aeronaval doesn't hack nor, from memory, does the handwound 1861 used in an Omega Moonwatch.

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

@Bahnstormer_vRS - the movement is based on the ETA 2829-A2, which is supposed to hack. It’s just that mine isn’t for some reason :(
These users thanked the author missF for the post:
Bahnstormer_vRS
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 5:48 pm ...nor, from memory, does the handwound 1861 used in an Omega Moonwatch.
Correct, but you would need to establish whether the IWC is SUPPOSED to hack.

Sorry - crossed in the post...
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
MistaFroggyG
Guru
Guru

Post by MistaFroggyG »

missF wrote:[mention]Bahnstormer_vRS[/mention] - the movement is based on the ETA 2829-A2, which is supposed to hack. It’s just that mine isn’t for some reason :(
Have you tried winding it more? I’ve had some ETA movements that occasionally don’t hack if the mainspring was barely wound
These users thanked the author MistaFroggyG for the post:
missF
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by iain »

The IWC should hack.

I was going to ask whether when you pull the crown out I assume the hands move when you turn the crown? My MKXVIII crown does seem to stick out a long way when fully out.

But you’re an experienced mechanical watch owner so will have handled a lot of different movements. I think that if you suspect it’s got a fault, it’s got a fault.

I’m no watch maker so don’t want to speculate on possible causes but if it runs fine, allows you to set the time and date ok and allows you to hand wind then it’s probably fine to use it as it is if you don’t want to send it away now.

You could of course talk to Stefs. IWC services come with a two year warranty so if you haven’t got the service paperwork then maybe he can point you in the direction of who serviced it. This might be covered under warranty. Look through your watch paperwork to see if you can find the documents.
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by iain »

This is how far my crown pulls out so you can compare to yours.

IMG_0447.jpeg
These users thanked the author iain for the post:
missF
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

I had a Dartmouth exhibit this behavior. It would initially hack but as soon as you moved the hands it would lose hack. I think it is a case that it should probably be looked at.

Some causes:

1. The hacking lever is bent.
2. The hacking lever is dislodged and kicking around in the movement or at best not working anymore.
3. The hacking lever is broken and you have a piece floating around in there.

Could be any one of these.

Here is a good video. The actual hack is toward the end.

These users thanked the author rkovars for the post:
iain
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

MistaFroggyG wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 6:32 pm Have you tried winding it more? I’ve had some ETA movements that occasionally don’t hack if the mainspring was barely wound
Brilliant!
Thanks so much - I just gave it another wind and now it’s hacking :clap:
I’m not sure I can figure out mechanically why that would happen, but I’m more reassured now that there’s not a small part rattling around inside the case.

Also reassured that I can leave it a few more years until I get it serviced again. Thanks everyone who chipped in with info. I love learning new stuff :D
These users thanked the author missF for the post (total 2):
iainMistaFroggyG
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

@missF There is a little play in there and it could also be that the lever is getting either worn or bent a little. As long as it is hacking now you are good to go. :thumbup:
These users thanked the author rkovars for the post:
missF
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

@rkovars - thanks for the video :thumbup:
MistaFroggyG
Guru
Guru

Post by MistaFroggyG »

I was lead to believe that when the mainspring is barely wound, there might not be enough power in there to produce enough friction to stop.

After watching videos of how it works, I’m not sure why that would make sense but I’m glad it worked out!
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

@MistaFroggyG - the hack lever does slap down pretty hard on the mainspring, so maybe it’s because when the mainspring is very unwound the lever is only hitting the outer arc of the spiral, which is not in contact with any of the rest of the unwound spiral towards the centre. Hitting that outer arc alone would still allow the rest of the spiral towards the centre to keep unwinding, thereby still turning the seconds hand. With a fully wound spring it’s essentially a disc of solid metal, so the hack lever by slapping on to the outside arc is effecting the whole spring and making it stop altogether...

Didn’t manage to express that very well but thanks anyway. :D