“Monk Mode” - limiting social media.

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

“Monk Mode” - limiting social media.

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

This has to be one of the daftest articles I’ve seen recently.

Apparently people are now using an app to control and limit the amount of time they spend on social media. They can set the controls themselves. This is not for kids, it’s for adults.

What happened to good old-fashioned common sense and willpower? I decided a long time ago (mainly as a result of Covid lockdowns) that I was spending too much time on screen and online. Mostly, unless I decide otherwise, I’m now off screen after 8 pm. That includes not reading emails, going on Facebook, and even being on the Forum. They can all wait until morning. Push notifications are about as limited as I can sensibly make them (including no sound alerts) and I have set my forum notifications to the minimum I need for the tasks I have to do.

Do I feel better for it? You bet I do. But I control it. I don’t need an app to tell me when it’s time to watch TV, listen to some music, read a book or go to bed.

Do you?
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post (total 3):
NigelSjkbarnesstrapline
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Re: “Monk Mode” - limiting social media.

Post by TheBeatles »

Good post, Steve

Only disagreement I would have to your rule, is if I’m watching something on eBay. Then my phone says there is 15 mins to go!!

But otherwise I too avoid screen time in the evening.
These users thanked the author TheBeatles for the post:
Amor Vincit Omnia
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
NigelS
Expert
Expert
CW-watches: 2

Post by NigelS »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 3:53 pm This has to be one of the daftest articles I’ve seen recently.

Apparently people are now using an app to control and limit the amount of time they spend on social media. They can set the controls themselves. This is not for kids, it’s for adults.
Thanks for this Steve. What have we come to? 'If you don't want to rely on apps to boost your focus, Mark Channon, a productivity and mindset coach, advises making small changes in your daily routine to begin with' . . . he's a WHAT??? A productivity and mindset coach? Get a proper job son. I do hope artificial intelligence works because the younger generation certainly hasn't got any :lol:
These users thanked the author NigelS for the post:
Amor Vincit Omnia
'Life is Art, and not otherwise' C.S.Lewis
Trs1982
Expert
Expert

Post by Trs1982 »

@Amor Vincit Omnia Agreed. I'm getting better with not touching my phone for anything other than calls or messages during the evening. I've toyed with going back to a "dumb" phone, but I don't want full cut off from Spotify, mapping/GPS, fitness tools, accessible email. My phone is my camera, and also my wallet most of the time so willpower has to be applied. As above, notifications are off for anything other than calls/messages. I can just about squeeze two days out of a charge now. Previously it was a challenge to get through the day without having to plug it in.

However with other people, I think that forcing themselves to have downtime via an app or policies on their device is a step in the right direction. Social media is designed to have people reaching for a device to constantly scroll and embed themselves in the endless content, most of which is pointless (IMO).

I do think that it's generational. The kids are the future, and social media is sadly here to stay. Helping out with an app to assist with willpower so that people can learn that there is a real world out there isn't a bad thing. If nothing else, it can help with that first step.
These users thanked the author Trs1982 for the post (total 2):
Amor Vincit Omniajkbarnes
Amor Vincit Omnia

Earlier this afternoon in a supermarket someone rammed her trolley into the back of my leg. She was walking along, leaning forward, elbows on trolley, scrolling on her phone. Didn’t even see me or my trolley stopped in the “healthy vegetables” aisle. :wink: Didn’t apologise, either.
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post:
NigelS
Steve

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Trs1982
Expert
Expert

Post by Trs1982 »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 4:33 pm Earlier this afternoon in a supermarket someone rammed her trolley into the back of my leg. She was walking along, leaning forward, elbows on trolley, scrolling on her phone. Didn’t even see me or my trolley stopped in the “healthy vegetables” aisle. :wink: Didn’t apologise, either.
Yeah, that's pretty rude and completely avoidable.
Amor Vincit Omnia

Please note, I have edited a number of posts in this thread to remove terms which some might perhaps find unacceptable or offensive. I know that absolutely no harm was meant, but we do need to be careful what we say, as this part of the forum is in the public domain.

Thank you for your vigilance.
Steve

Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote:Earlier this afternoon in a supermarket someone rammed her trolley into the back of my leg. She was walking along, leaning forward, elbows on trolley, scrolling on her phone. Didn’t even see me or my trolley stopped in the “healthy vegetables” aisle. :wink: Didn’t apologise, either.
Just be grateful it was a Supermarket trolley in a building, and not a car on the road, that hit you Steve.

Guy

Sent from my Galaxy S23 Ultra using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
gwells
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by gwells »

i've been known to honk when i pass people looking at their phones while driving. yes, i know there's a chance i'll startle them into doing something bad, but i still think less chance than them doing something bad if they keep reading their phones while driving.
the "g" is for Greg...
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 3:53 pm This has to be one of the daftest articles I’ve seen recently.

What happened to good old-fashioned common sense and willpower?
Well, ya know the saying,'common sense, it's a flower that doesn't grow in every garden.'

Des
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
gwells
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by gwells »

if everyone had self-control, we'll all be slim and fit w/o fancy diets and exercise coaches.
These users thanked the author gwells for the post:
jkbarnes
the "g" is for Greg...
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

My dad lives in one of those retirement apartments. You know the type, they are privately owned but they have a communal lounge and a manager/warden on site in case anyone has any difficulties. You need to be over 55 to own one or live there.

I went to visit my dad at the weekend and he was in the lounge conversing with his friends when I arrived. Their standard everyday conversations sound exactly like this thread…….

Having said that I fully agree with what’s been said, I just wanted to clarify I’m not a grumpy old man……..

……..Yet :lol: :lol:
These users thanked the author iain for the post:
Stif
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

Don't forget to bet responsibly.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
MistaFroggyG
Guru
Guru

Post by MistaFroggyG »

I think it’s just a layover from when internet/smartphone tech was new and seemed to be solving problems, not creating them.

So to many, it’s just another problem to be solved. But it’s like trying to use nicotine gum to quit when you’re still smoking packs a day.

The apps that people are frustrated are controlling them are designed to do that, the only way to stop them from working as designed is to not use them.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

It’s a challenge to control one’s time on social media, especially when the apps are engineered to keep us engaged. I struggle with this every day. I’ve almost every notification switched off. I make extensive use of focus modes on iOS to filter things out. (I’d make more extensive use of them if I could figure the more advanced functionality! :lol: )

A coworker recently recommended Stolen Focus by Johann Hari. It’s all about the danger of addiction to social media and how to overcome it. I haven’t purchased it yet, but I’m going to.
Drew