“Monk Mode” - limiting social media.

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
Macdaz
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 14

Re: “Monk Mode” - limiting social media.

Post by Macdaz »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 3:53 pm This has to be one of the daftest articles I’ve seen recently.

What happened to good old-fashioned common sense and willpower?
I think if it were as simple as that there would be no alcoholics, no drug addiction, no gambling crisis, nobody would be overweight and there would be no smokers, saving those who didn’t want to give up.

Fact is, in all of these things, some people can do it, some can’t and there are things available to help those that want to but need some support - if it helps people achieve what they otherwise would not, I’m all for it. Whatever works.
These users thanked the author Macdaz for the post (total 2):
jkbarnesMistaFroggyG
SMP|Victorinox Groundforce|Mako/XL|Steinhart OVM|Smiths Everest|C60 Trident 600|C8 Pilot Mk2|Vostok 1965|C8 Flyer Mk1|Seiko Monster|C7 Rapide|Steinhart Aviation|C65 GMT|C9 AMGTLE|C60 Bronze|C8 Al Deere|C65 SC|C63 GMT|C65 Chrono|C63 Auto|C65 Dune|2023 FLE
DavidCM
Senior
Senior

Post by DavidCM »

Whatever next....before long there will be Toilet App to tell us when to go...
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

I’ve been thinking about this thread a lot over the last 24 hours. It really got me thinking about the mindless time I spend scrolling on social media and the need for a healthier alternative. In response, I deleted Instagram from my phone today (and some other apps that encourage unproductive behavior). I’d seriously consider abandoning the platform completely the way I did Facebook, but it’s the primary way I stay in touch with former students and some friends. It’s the scrolling out of boredom, though! It’s killing me! I’m hoping removing IG from my phone will help and also keep me more in the moment when I’m out and about. I’ll keep it on my iPad so that I can continue to connect with people.

On a related note, I’ve not been nearly as active on the forum lately, for more or less the same reason - I’m tired of it being a crutch of sorts, something to do without much thought, you know? Again, I don’t want to walk away because I value the folks I’ve met here and the interactions I have, but my engagement needs to be more….what’s the word?….focused, maybe?

As a final thought, here’s an excellent video about the power of social media. It’s Simon Sinek discussing millennials. Fast forward to 3:15 to hear him talk about social media as an addiction. It’s astounding. Sinek is a great speaker, by the way, if you’ve never heard him before. Check him out.

These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post (total 3):
Bahnstormer_vRSiainThunder1
Drew
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

^^ ^^
This discussion crops up a lot on this forum; the so-called pitfalls of social media. Simply put social media is the greatest tool ever designed for creating feelings of gratification and validation. Some people have the toolbox to be able to manage that and, unfortunately, some don't. My concern is that the whole social media thing is remapping how a lot of people think and behave. We are in the middle of a huge psychological experiment. One of the biggest examples of cause and effect I can think of.

Des
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by TheBeatles »

I’m happy to say I’m not a member of any social media groups, apart from 2 Forums. A Jack Daniel’s collectors forum and this one.

I’ve never felt the need to be part of FB, X (formerly known as Twitter, as the BBC constantly state) or Instagram.
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

I had a lovely morning with a class of 12 and 13-year-olds today. I started my “new job” last week, teaching Spanish for a few hours a week as a maternity cover.

Last week we learned the verbs and phrases, and today you are going to write a paragraph in Spanish, in your books, about your daily routine, using the instructions you have been given. Please leave your iPad switched off and face down on the table.

Can’t we write it in Word?
No, you can’t copy and paste something you found on the Internet. Use the materials given, write it in your book, using a standard blue pen as per school policy. Best handwriting please, Year 8.

MUMBLE GRUMBLE BUMBLE SNOT FAIR!

Can we watch…?
No.
Can we play…?
No.
Can we go on…?
No. We can get on with the writing task.
Can we check our emails?
No. You’re in my lesson and I haven’t sent you any.

Can we look words up on Google Translate?
No, there’s a box of dictionaries at the back of the room and a Spanish speaker at the front. Do your research.

You don’t teach like Mrs S!
No, that’s because she’s about 30 and wasn’t around in the Cretaceous period. Get on with it.

Guess what, half an hour later they were actually enjoying it and feeling they had achieved something.
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post (total 2):
gannetBahnstormer_vRS
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:17 pm …Guess what, half an hour later they were actually enjoying it and feeling they had achieved something.
Imagine that! Kids want to be taught, like actually taught.
Drew