Me And My Scooter

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
User avatar
nathanclarinet
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 3789
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:45 pm
CW-watches: 2

Re: Me And My Scooter

Post by nathanclarinet »

scooter wrote: She's a GTV 125 automatic ,single cylinder 4 stroke and water cooled capable of 64 mph. Like all Vespas she has a pressed sheet metal frame with welded reinforcements. At 144 kgs, she's not light but feels very stable (for a scooter) with 12 inch wheels. The stopping power is single discs on both front and rear.
Thanks for the stats Scooter, I can sleep easier knowing this info :wink:
scooter wrote:A great ride and immense fun.
scooter
Gotcha! Same can be said for another of lifes great pleasures :D
Leo David
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 1840
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:57 pm
CW-watches: 3
Location: London

Re: Me And My Scooter

Post by Leo David »

Ah, if only my biking days were still with me. Unfortunately they came to a very abrupt end in 2003.I remember going round a corner on my cousins 1968 Lambretta 125 and dropping it. He went bonkers. It was finished in a lovely powder blue and cream paint job which I managed to scuff and dent. I was riding a Suzuki 125 trials bike at the time and didn't appreciate the different way scooters handled compared to 'normal' bikes. That was in 1976. Seems like a lifetime ago. Ride safely Scooter.
User avatar
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
Posts: 14888
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:14 pm
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes
Location: UK

Re: Me And My Scooter

Post by scooter »

I had a 1967 Lambretta 125 in 1970, reg OYD 706F. For those old car number spotters amongst you, you'll know that YA - YD meant the vehicle was registered in Somerset. That bit of info was for Nathan.
nathanclarinet wrote:Gotcha! Same can be said for another of lifes great pleasures :D
\:D/

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
User avatar
nathanclarinet
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 3789
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:45 pm
CW-watches: 2

Re: Me And My Scooter

Post by nathanclarinet »

scooter wrote:I had a 1967 Lambretta 125 in 1970, reg OYD 706F. For those old car number spotters amongst you, you'll know that YA - YD meant the vehicle was registered in Somerset. That bit of info was for Nathan.
nathanclarinet wrote:Gotcha! Same can be said for another of lifes great pleasures :D
\:D/

scooter
Scooter, you are really treating us to some stat porn tonight :thumbup:
User avatar
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
Posts: 33247
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:45 pm
CW-watches: 147
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes
Location: New Hampshire, USA

Re: Me And My Scooter

Post by Kip »

Way to go scooter...getting ready for spring! :thumbup:

Looking forward to some more road trip stories. Love the mirrors. 8)
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"


Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 3780
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:45 pm
CW-watches: 5
Location: Alberta, Canada (The Great White North, eh!)

Re: Me And My Scooter

Post by Lavaine »

I always wondered about scooters with a pile of mirrors on them. Thanks for the explanation Scooter. 64mph is a decent clip for a scooter, but I'd still feel uncomfortable on North American roads on one!
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
User avatar
Uncle Bill
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 1601
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:33 pm
CW-watches: 12
LE-two: yes
Location: Mid-Sussex, just North of South Downs National Park

Re: Me And My Scooter

Post by Uncle Bill »

At first light one morning, I stood beside my bike and contemplated the 40 yards or so of approximately 4' deep water ahead from an overnight flooded river. On the other side of the flood, the road was on a steady downhill curve to the water. I was just going to radio for signs when I heard the unmistakeable sound of a scooter with a big bore exhaust creaming down the long hill opposite. It came into sight, flat out and didn't stand a chance of stopping. It hit the water and lifted like a paddle-landing swan, with a beautiful flat spray of water to either side. It covered about twenty yards on the surface and I thought it might make it, but it then suddenly lost speed and stopped, the water up to the rider's shoulders. He got off and stood up. "Are you going to come and help push?", he said.

I gave this some deep and serious consideration, "No", I said, and switched on my blue lights.

UB :)
Let us hope all politicians are masochists, that they may truly enjoy our fondest wishes...
User avatar
Helix Von Smelix
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 3997
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:41 pm
CW-watches: 110
Location: Berkshire

Re: Me And My Scooter

Post by Helix Von Smelix »

Uncle Bill wrote:At first light one morning, I stood beside my bike and contemplated the 40 yards or so of approximately 4' deep water ahead from an overnight flooded river. On the other side of the flood, the road was on a steady downhill curve to the water. I was just going to radio for signs when I heard the unmistakeable sound of a scooter with a big bore exhaust creaming down the long hill opposite. It came into sight, flat out and didn't stand a chance of stopping. It hit the water and lifted like a paddle-landing swan, with a beautiful flat spray of water to either side. It covered about twenty yards on the surface and I thought it might make it, but it then suddenly lost speed and stopped, the water up to the rider's shoulders. He got off and stood up. "Are you going to come and help push?", he said.

I gave this some deep and serious consideration, "No", I said, and switched on my blue lights.

UB :)
In about 1980.
Talking of blue lights, a friend of my brothers (who is heavy in to all things scooter) was prosecuted for impersonating a Police Office (or some such thing). He was stopped by the the said Police at 4am doing 35mph in a 40mph zone. He was on a green scooter, White open face helmet, with black peak. Green fishtail parker with red, white, and blue roundels on the back. Also a squirrels tail on a very long aerial somewhere on said scooter. On the front of the scooter, attached to the front mudguard was a blue rotation beacon, which was functioning. The judge didn’t seem to agree with the Polices definition of impersonation. Happy times. :clap: :clap: