Peteo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4
LE-two: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Looking to Get a Clock

Post by Peteo »

I bought my first house earlier this summer, and I think that'd I'd like to get a nice clock for the main floor. But I don't really know who the good quality makers are. Chelsea? Hermle? Howard Miller? I've got no real knowledge to base anything on.

I'd like to get something mechanical but not too formal or stuffy looking (i.e., I don't think the traditional grandfather clock is for me). I'd like something that looks decently contemporary but isn't trying too hard to look cutting edge. I was looking at ship's bell clocks, but I'm not sure if that's what I really want.

Any advice?
Peteo
4x Christopher Ward, 2x Sinn, 2x Omega, 1x A. Lange & Sohne, 1x H. Moser & Cie, 1x Tudor, 1x Towson Watch Company, 1x Baltimore Watch Company. Always looking for watches from Maryland. What's Next?
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Re: Looking to Get a Clock

Post by Kip »

In my opinion, you have made a good decision wanting a mechanical clock.

This can be a tough look as there really is not a great range of new mechanicals around. One of my favorites, but pricey and worth it, are Erwin Sattler clocks. Howard Miller is a brand that produces a wide variety of style using both Hermle and Kieninger movements. Chelsea clocks are also good. They use their own movements as well as some Hermle on their less expensive models.

Although more expensive generally, many of the modern chime clocks have the ability to mute the chimes, so check that on some chiming clocks you may find attractive.

You may also want to take a good look at vintage/antique clocks. There is much to choose from in a very wide range of style. Of course, many of these may require restoration and overhaul but can be well worth it in the long run. I would also suggest checking out the NAWCC for research. In your area you may find some antique clock dealers that have a wide selection of clocks. Delaney Antique clocks in New England is just an example of what might be found.

Budget and style, heirloom or just a timepiece...decisions to be made.....
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

A $78000 wall clock! Really Kip? A clock that costs half as much as my house. Somehow I don't see that happening. I am, admittedly, intrigued by the clock kit, although that same money would buy a nice 36mm Explorer, with enough money left over for a service.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
smegwina
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 11

Post by smegwina »

Kip wrote:In my opinion, you have made a good decision wanting a mechanical clock.

This can be a tough look as there really is not a great range of new mechanicals around. One of my favorites, but pricey and worth it, are Erwin Sattler clocks. Howard Miller is a brand that produces a wide variety of style using both Hermle and Kieninger movements. Chelsea clocks are also good. They use their own movements as well as some Hermle on their less expensive models.

Although more expensive generally, many of the modern chime clocks have the ability to mute the chimes, so check that on some chiming clocks you may find attractive.

You may also want to take a good look at vintage/antique clocks. There is much to choose from in a very wide range of style. Of course, many of these may require restoration and overhaul but can be well worth it in the long run. I would also suggest checking out the NAWCC for research. In your area you may find some antique clock dealers that have a wide selection of clocks. Delaney Antique clocks in New England is just an example of what might be found.

Budget and style, heirloom or just a timepiece...decisions to be made.....
Those Sattler clocks are beautiful. Terrifying prices though! :)
craigski
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 2

Post by craigski »

What about something a little different, a little more interesting that your normal time piece, a Clayton Boyer design, eg:

http://www.lisaboyer.com/Claytonsite/ce ... npage1.htm

:)
Mart51
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 6

Post by Mart51 »

For something a little reasonable, you might try http://comitti.com/ I've one of their Mantle clocks as well as a Knight and Gibbons (now gone bust) - both English makers.
Current collection:
C60 Trident Pro 600 38mm red and black
C61 with Orange
C60 300 white with black
Oris Big crown pointer - Rose gold
Smiths PRS29am
Smiths Explorer
Smiths Everest
Certina DS Action Precidrive
Scurfa Diver One Ceramic
Scurfa D1-500 Yellow