Looking furtively or staring?

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
Wis
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Looking furtively or staring?

Post by Wis »

If you are anything like me, you enjoy looking at your watch on your wrist. I enjoy seeing all the intricate details in the best possible light.

The problem is that I spend so much time in lighting or cicumstances that are not conducive to the watch presenting itself in the best way.

Of course, natural light is best. So outdoors is a good place to enjoy a watch. But unless you want to be viewed as a complete lunatic you can’t really do it around people. So you do it furtively.

So were are the best places? For me there are two. Indoors it is the bathroom. Granted, the lighting is not ideal, but seeing a watch on the wrist in the mirror affords a much better perspective than looking directly at it on the wrist. In the mirror you see it as others see it. So it is a perfect place to enjoy the spatial effect of a watch, if I can put it like that.

The other place is in the car, hand on the wheel. The angle of the watch and the play of natural light through the window bring out the details in a great way. It can be dangerous if you are driving though, so I sometimes have to put the watch under the sleeve!

Do you agree? Where do you enjoy looking at your watch(es)?
Bjørn
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Re: Looking furtively or staring?

Post by Thegreyman »

You've summed the issue up well, the opportunity to fully admire your timepiece without appearing to look like a complete geek (even if that may be true :problem:).

For that reason I find the car (which has some darkened/tinted windows to assist this horological self indulgement) as well as my own home (where my wife and children accept me for who I am and don't judge :lol: ) to be the best places. Both have a decent level of natural light, unlike my normal habitat in the office which mainly relies on artifical lighting.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Wis
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Wis »

Case in point about car:

Bjørn
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

I have a confession to make. I think I may have been guilty of a heinous felony.

I think there may have been moments recently when I have looked at my watch (this is hard to say!) with the sole intention of...how to put this?...

...checking the time! :escape:

I am really sorry, because I know this is going to offend some people, but I may even have registered the time in less than a second, without devoting the required minute to deliberating the transcendent pulchritude of my horological accoutrement!

I can only abase myself, grovel humbly and demand, nay beg, forgiveness. :oops:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Wis
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Wis »

Oh, the horror! :shock:

Well, one must of course be permitted to check the time, but don’t let it be the main reason for looking!
Bjørn
Amor Vincit Omnia

In reality of course, I do admire my watches. But I tend to do it when there is no one else around, even more so if it was in a public place.
Steve

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
kiter65
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by kiter65 »

I thought my phone was for telling the time, must start viewing my watch in a new way :shock:
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

I’m for the bathroom. Mirror wrist views are great. You can even stick your hands in your jeans like the photos in watch magazines.
watching you fail in your quest for a “one watch” has been great entertainment
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

When I was in gainful employment, a detailed look at my wrist wear was tricky.

Watch covered by shirt sleeve whilst at desk or in meetings. The main opportunity during working hours was sleeve pulled up and a long glance in the mirror, before leaving the office bathrooms.

Much easier now to look whilst in public, without anyone noticing. :D

Step 1 - find somewhere to sit whilst outside.
B5F7FDFF-2DF5-4FF1-BE44-C34CBF57F84F.jpeg
Step 2 - take a seat and check out watch, preferably when sunny.
128605F3-B532-49FF-B5E1-3A1548670D3C.jpeg
Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Wis
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Wis »

missF wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:09 pm I’m for the bathroom. Mirror wrist views are great. You can even stick your hands in your jeans like the photos in watch magazines.
Exactly! Do a little watch modelling. :lol:
Bjørn
Wis
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Wis »

nbg wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:15 pm When I was in gainful employment, a detailed look at my wrist wear was tricky.

Watch covered by shirt sleeve whilst at desk or in meetings. The main opportunity during working hours was sleeve pulled up and a long glance in the mirror, before leaving the office bathrooms.

Much easier now to look whilst in public, without anyone noticing. :D

Step 1 - find somewhere to sit whilst outside.
Step 2 - take a seat and check out watch, preferably when sunny.

Neil
Looks like a secluded spot Neil, so perfect for not being seen by a normal person. :thumbup:
Bjørn
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

Wis wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:21 pm ....a normal person.
:lol:
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Amor Vincit Omnia

Sometimes when I am teaching, I quite pointedly and deliberately sit there staring at my watch in full view of the class*. Within a few seconds they will be nudging one another and within about 15 seconds there will not be a sound in the room apart from the furious scratching of pens on paper.

It’s one of the advantages of being old and scary. I only have to say “Not your best decision of the day!” or “Now I do not believe you wanted to do that” to gain immediate rapt silence. :lol:

*They, of course, believe that I might threaten to keep them in. I just want to admire my watch.
Steve

Ian Mc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Ian Mc »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:55 pm Sometimes when I am teaching, I quite pointedly and deliberately sit there staring at my watch in full view of the class*. Within a few seconds they will be nudging one another and within about 15 seconds there will not be a sound in the room apart from the furious scratching of pens on paper.

It’s one of the advantages of being old and scary. I only have to say “Not your best decision of the day!” or “Now I do not believe you wanted to do that” to gain immediate rapt silence. :lol:

*They, of course, believe that I might threaten to keep them in. I just want to admire my watch.
Can't beat a bit of psychological manipulation!
Time keeps on slipping into the future