London

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
kiter65
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

London

Post by kiter65 »

Living in the fens all my life I’m not a fan of London, I find it quite overwhelming, the noise,traffic,crowds etc but I have an appointment there this Tuesday. So if I have to go might as well make a day of it :D. Time is limited so where is the best places to go, watch wise, Hatton Garden, Bond Street, Grays Antique centre???? Or any other suggestions. Not really looking to buy just a look round.
Thanks
PS..no offence meant to you Londoners I’m sure if you came to Spalding you would die of boredom :lol:
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Re: London

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Bond street for the big brand boutiques, Burlington Arcade (same neighbourhood) for vintage watches at prices to make more than just your eyes water. Harrods Fine Watch Room is very good, and if you are looking for the museums then the best one is the Clockmakers Museum currently housed in the Science Museum in Kensington. Gray’s Market is also quite near to Bond Street and well worth a visit.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

^^^ Richard to see as many of the big brands as possible under one roof the best place is -

Watches of Switzerland, 155 Regent Street.
https://www.watches-of-switzerland.co.u ... eet#brands

As the flagship store you are likely to encounter less BS than some of the other locations in the group. They have always been friendly when I have tried on stuff over the years.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Bungle-ator
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Bungle-ator »

Loads In Selfridge's as well.

Don't wear a noticeable watch, it seems many that have them taken have been marked in such places.
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

I was in London recently, didn't really get much time to look at watches but did pop into the Bucherer store at Covent Garden which was decent. I didn't go into it this time but the "Wonder Room" in Selfridges is worth a visit too.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

I'll echo comments already made that Regent Street, Bond Street, New Bond Street, Burlington Arcade seems to be the epicentre of Luxury Goods, not just Watches, in Central London.

I spent a couple of hours wandering this 'patch' a few weeks ago and was amazed to find several brands with two, or even three, shops in close proximity in the area.

Watch out in Burlington Arcade, I found one shop (actually my girlfriend/partner spotted it) with a pre-owned Patek Philippe at a cool quarter of a million quid. :shock: :shock:

As we are now into the School Holidays just mind you don't trip over any young children in the vicinity of Hamleys. Oh, and watch out for the queues outside Hermes and Louis Vuitton.

Enjoy your day.

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Post by Soporsche »

Echo all above re West End if general browsing and window shopping. Hatton Garden is interesting but a bit hit and miss, if you are looking to buy theres the odd good deal to be done there but keep your wits about you. 😉
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands
kiter65
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by kiter65 »

Cheers all, going with my brother in law, Trev, who wants to visit the bike shed which is a short walk from where my appointment is. After that I think a visit to Bond / Regent Street :D I’ll let you all know what happens. I think I’ll stick with AD’s and not pre owned just in case I come across a 14060m and can’t resist it :lol:
Won’t be wearing anything of note, that’s the main reason I purchased the Octon from S/C, just hope a bad lad doesn’t mistake it for a BB :lol:
kiter65
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by kiter65 »

Well what a very nice day I had, my appointment finished a lot earlier than anticipated so the bike shed was closed, so off to Camden lock. A bite to eat and a couple of beers then down to Bond Street, Covent Garden etc. A lot of window shopping and a couple more beers :D
Only watch that court my eye was the GP Laureato stunning.
Burlington Arcade, Steve when you said they are a bit pricey you weren’t joking :shock: :shock: absolutely ridiculous the prices the shops down there are asking...makes watchfinder dirt cheap...think I might buy all their Subs open a shop down the Arcade and make a fortune :lol:
One thing I will add if anyone fancies a trip to London now is the time to go :thumbup: still busy enough to have an atmosphere but compared to normal very quiet :D
Tigerptangyang
Senior
Senior

Post by Tigerptangyang »

I also visited London last week, I echo what kiter65 said, it wasn’t exceptionally busy as normally in Central London , on the tube stations you can’t move, but it was a lot less crowded than previous excursions, I also visited the usual watch haunts, I went in to Harrods watch dept but alas the watches I liked not within reach of my budget, I had to settle for a sausage roll from Harrods - cost me a fiver though and very nice it was 😛
There was a Grand Seiko section in Harrods and very nice these looked in the metal, first time I’ve looked close up at these and impressive.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

kiter65 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:33 am my brother in law, Trev, who wants to visit the bike shed...
What's the bike shed.Tried googling it, but that added to the confusion.

And it sounds like it was a lovely day, by the way!
Drew
kiter65
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by kiter65 »

jkbarnes wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:12 pm
kiter65 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:33 am my brother in law, Trev, who wants to visit the bike shed...

Andrew, not great at links, but try bikeshed motorcycle club, Old Street, London
It’s a bar/restaurant/shop that also sells custom motorbikes, been a couple of times, it’s quite a cool place to visit if that’s your thing :thumbup:
And yes it was, not sure if that was just because of not going out much over the last 12 months or so....and my appointment went really well :D
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

kiter65 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:51 pm
jkbarnes wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:12 pm

Andrew, not great at links, but try bikeshed motorcycle club, Old Street, London
It’s a bar/restaurant/shop that also sells custom motorbikes, been a couple of times, it’s quite a cool place to visit if that’s your thing :thumbup:
And yes it was, not sure if that was just because of not going out much over the last 12 months or so....and my appointment went really well :D
Thanks for the info. Sounds like a cool place. Off to google now...
Drew