Laser cutting

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
NationOfLaws
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Laser cutting

Post by NationOfLaws »

I wanted to share the results of my first laser cutting project. I bought a low-ish end laser engraver and cutter a while back and decided that I’d practice by making a set of LP dividers out of Baltic birch plywood. I’m pleased with the results.
C567F56F-7C66-46EE-ADC0-091756407966.jpeg
In retrospect, I’d change a few things. First, no more Baltic birch ply. It’s a Russian Federation product and I’m not a supporter. Second, I’d like to do more testing to see if there are ways to reduce production time. It takes about twelve hours to cut a full set currently.

I plan to make three more sets at present. One for a local record shop to see if they’d be interested in selling them, one for a friend, and another set for me out of exotic hardwood and maybe with some gold leaf.
71140654524__8B1DBC14-6482-4565-8709-204640CD8A26.jpeg
These users thanked the author NationOfLaws for the post (total 5):
jkbarnesStiftikkathreerkovarsBahnstormer_vRS
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Re: Laser cutting

Post by jkbarnes »

Well done! That’s pretty impressive.
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post:
NationOfLaws
Drew
gwells
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by gwells »

nice. which laser cutter did you get?

i bought a glowforge during the crowdfunding in 2015 (and received it at the end of 2017).
the "g" is for Greg...
NationOfLaws
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by NationOfLaws »

It’s the Creality Falcon 10W. Would love to get a Glowforge if I can start selling enough stuff to justify the cost.
These users thanked the author NationOfLaws for the post:
gwells
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by iain »

Well done unfortunately they would be no use to me as my vinyl collection isn’t in alphabetical order. Mine is sorted by genre and then in what looks to be a random assortment. The only degree of order is keeping all records by the same artist together and in date order from first release to the latest.

It looks a complete mess to anyone else but I can go to any record quite quickly. It also helps when deciding what to listen to, if I want some 80’s LA metal, then there’s a section for that. Punk, this way for US and this way for UK bands…..
These users thanked the author iain for the post (total 2):
jkbarnesStif
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
gwells
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by gwells »

NationOfLaws wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 12:20 am It’s the Creality Falcon 10W. Would love to get a Glowforge if I can start selling enough stuff to justify the cost.
it took me a few years, but i've probably made back what i spent on it originally. granted, i spent a lot less than it would cost today. but i didn't really buy it to sell stuff. i just ended up connecting with a guitar builder friend and have made my a lot of my money engraving guitars for him.

and finally one for me, which he's building out now. can't wait to get it back so i can take pics and share (well, and play it, of course).
the "g" is for Greg...
gwells
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by gwells »

iain wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 12:22 am Well done unfortunately they would be no use to me as my vinyl collection isn’t in alphabetical order. Mine is sorted by genre and then in what looks to be a random assortment. The only degree of order is keeping all records by the same artist together and in date order from first release to the latest.

It looks a complete mess to anyone else but I can go to any record quite quickly. It also helps when deciding what to listen to, if I want some 80’s LA metal, then there’s a section for that. Punk, this way for US and this way for UK bands…..
i mean, you could just make dividers that say "punk" and "la metal."
These users thanked the author gwells for the post (total 3):
NationOfLawsiainjkbarnes
the "g" is for Greg...
NationOfLaws
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by NationOfLaws »

Or just a handful that say “don’t bother”
These users thanked the author NationOfLaws for the post (total 3):
gwellsiainjkbarnes
gwells
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by gwells »

or maybe, "just ask me if you need to find something."
These users thanked the author gwells for the post (total 2):
iainNationOfLaws
the "g" is for Greg...
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by iain »

@gwells Im not sure Jameson’s start up business making vinyl record dividers is ready for some of the unusual corners of my record collection.

Reggae covers of Led Zep songs sung by an Elvis impersonator* section is also quite wordy….

:lol: :lol: :lol:

*Dread Zeppelin in case your wondering and yes, it is quite a small section of the collection.
These users thanked the author iain for the post:
Chris GB
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
NationOfLaws
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by NationOfLaws »

iain wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 12:36 am @gwells Im not sure Jameson’s start up business making vinyl record dividers is ready for some of the unusual corners of my record collection.

Reggae covers of Led Zep songs sung by an Elvis impersonator* section is also quite wordy….

:lol: :lol: :lol:

*Dread Zeppelin in case your wondering and yes, it is quite a small section of the collection.
It’d be funny if that was the only divider
These users thanked the author NationOfLaws for the post:
iain
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

gwells wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 12:28 am it took me a few years, but i've probably made back what i spent on it originally. granted, i spent a lot less than it would cost today. but i didn't really buy it to sell stuff. i just ended up connecting with a guitar builder friend and have made my a lot of my money engraving guitars for him.

and finally one for me, which he's building out now. can't wait to get it back so i can take pics and share (well, and play it, of course).
Haha! I was going to comment that someone else on here did engraving like that and had done some killer guitar work, but I couldn’t remember who it was. I’m glad you commented!
Drew
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

iain wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 12:22 am Well done unfortunately they would be no use to me as my vinyl collection isn’t in alphabetical order. Mine is sorted by genre and then in what looks to be a random assortment. The only degree of order is keeping all records by the same artist together and in date order from first release to the latest.

I’ve divided mine by genre too, but it’s just jazz, classical/musicals, and everything else. Within those, it’s alphabetical. My “collection” is so pathetically small that dividers would be pretentious as hell.
Drew
gwells
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by gwells »

i saw a couple of things posted recently that make me think GF is coming out with a lower end, less expensive model soon.
6c8a34403e8d3d4ba86c0002b2f844c3bddb4b61_2_500x500.jpg
8af65cfa528ccce4167d8c883dfabe798f0f2154_2_500x500.jpg
cd05963d90b2d15422fe91206f70254573040d82_2_389x499.jpg
c0282cc196fa3eadbdfffe1e34a9da08d0d00a24_2_231x500.jpg
49973a8611fa5aca5b0b3e1dbafda4c39e371fea_2_231x500.jpg
These users thanked the author gwells for the post:
NationOfLaws
the "g" is for Greg...