Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
Lenny
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 2

Just ordered one of these...

Post by Lenny »

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000 ... d_i=468294

It seems for the money it will do the job rightly for the likes of my two automatic's which are seldom worn at the moment.

Fingers crossed eh !!

anyone had any bad or good reports about them?
C8 Pilot mk1
C15 Henley
FLE 2012 SBS - on order
androo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes

Re: Just ordered one of these...

Post by androo »

I have one. Its not bad for the money. One of the motors is starting to be a bit of a noise. Carful with the door. I opened it at a silly angle and the door is heavy and the hinge is thin plastic. Result door goes on or off rather than open close
Lenny
Senior
Senior

Post by Lenny »

thanks for the reply androo, its good to know that it does the job and won't be hopefully a waste of £40.

Do you leave yours on AUTO rotate? Have you found that a certain timer setting works better than the others for keeping the watches tip top?
C8 Pilot mk1
C15 Henley
FLE 2012 SBS - on order
ianblyth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 19
LE-foura: yes
LE-five: Yes
LE-six: Yes

Post by ianblyth »

I have that model as well but don't use it any more as it is too noisy.

There are three settings - CW, CWW and both. I found having both was better for the wear on the mechanism. In the CWL range the 7750s are CW only and the others are bidirectional. Chinese movements like the Parnis are CCW only. If you have it on both then all that happens is when it is rotating the other way it is not getting wound unless it is bidirectional.

Most information on watch movements is given in turns per day (TPD) with 650 being needed for a C5 movemnt for example. Put the watch on the winder and time its full rotation to work out 1 turn and then multiply it to see how much time is needed to get 650 turns. I generally find I do not need the winder on permanently and have it plugged into a timer switch so it goes off at night. That also helps rest the watch,
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." Anais Nin
Lenny
Senior
Senior

Post by Lenny »

Thanks for the advice there Ian, a great help.

I had read about other persons using timers too. The noise wouldnt really bother me especially if tis placed on a timer as you say!

Can any confirm if one of these can house a C8, as I know its a bit of a biggie. Maybe androo can confirm his fits?
C8 Pilot mk1
C15 Henley
FLE 2012 SBS - on order
Loddonite
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Loddonite »

I bought one of these a couple of years ago and used to use it a lot.
I can sleep through it but Mrs L can't.
Something has gone wrong recently - I took it apart to find out what and when I disconnected the upper motor from the power supply I had a perfectly functional single winder :? I gave up.
Dom
Nothing's forgotten, nothing's ever forgotten.
ianblyth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 19
LE-foura: yes
LE-five: Yes
LE-six: Yes

Post by ianblyth »

Lenny wrote:Can any confirm if one of these can house a C8, as I know its a bit of a biggie.
Yes it can. Be careful with leather straps though. The units come out and you squeeze them in to fit the watch and the spring pushes it out so that puts pressure on the leather. There is a big head that you can take off and so it stretches the leather less.

C8 in winder and holder at the side. Top holder is with big head on and head below is from the other holder.

These are the 2 parts of the holder. The big head clicks on but will stretch a leather strap and potentially leave a bend mark.

But the C8 will fit.
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." Anais Nin