It was nice while it lasted on tz-uk...

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
st-rider
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 12
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes

Re: It was nice while it lasted on tz-uk...

Post by st-rider »

robert75 wrote:I thought Timefactors watches were made by Kemmner and any repair work was sent back to him? I did also read somewhere else that he doesn't accept a transferred warranty and that he is a member of this forum (Eddie Platts that is)
Warranties are usually attached to goods (or services) not an individual. Would have to read warranty document to see if any clauses regarding transfer of ownership of goods.

Saw Eddie on here as coquin username a few years back. That said he might have several names.
Alex

Caitlin: "What did Ducky look like when he was younger?"
Gibbs: "Illya Kuryakin" :D
robert75
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2
LE-fourb: yes

Post by robert75 »

st-rider wrote:
robert75 wrote:I thought Timefactors watches were made by Kemmner and any repair work was sent back to him? I did also read somewhere else that he doesn't accept a transferred warranty and that he is a member of this forum (Eddie Platts that is)
Warranties are usually attached to goods (or services) not an individual. Would have to read warranty document to see if any clauses regarding transfer of ownership of goods.

Saw Eddie on here as coquin username a few years back. That said he might have several names.
I don't know how Timefactors warranties work I only recall reading a few years ago someone with a similar complaint and they had a response that as they had not purchased the watch directly from Timefactors how could he know if the problem did not come from a third party.

That being said I didn't realise that Eddie Platts did any repairs himself I thought his watches were sent to Kemmner for repair.
akirk
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by akirk »

It is worth remembering that a warranty is a manufacturer contract with its purchaser - usually non-assignable, meaning that it is not valid for a subsequent person who buys the item second-hand from the first purchaser...

this is totally separate to and different from consumer rights...

therefore a manufacturer could choose to give 1 day's warranty or 5 years' warranty - up to them, but in parallel, the standard consumer rights (updated last year) kick in - and the manufacturer can't exclude those rights through contract - so they over-rule any warranty terms...

so a watch which is under a year old and not abused etc. may have a claim on the manufacturer through consumer law - regardless of warranty conditions - however the manufacturer can equally be right (though of no relevance) in claiming that the warranty does not cover it!

Alasdair
Tracking Christopher Ward watch prices on ebay globally at Watchroll
Tracking Bremont watch prices on ebay globally at Watchtrace
nicedream

Post by nicedream »

There was a thread on another forum that quoted an email that a customer received from Timefactors, which said that the warranty could be transferred. Although immediately thereafter Eddie seemed to add even more ambiguity to his policy.

http://www.thewatchsite.com/22-non-japa ... post264117
It doesn’t automatically void the warranty but if the crystal was defective, why didn’t it just “pop off” for the original owner? Neither you nor I know the history of the watch between leaving me and getting to you, I can only vouch for the integrity of watches where no intermediary is involved.
Really, this is typical of him from what I've experienced. He will go to whatever lengths to deny responsibility and try to pin blame on the customer. The OP in this thread said that Timefactor's warranty is worthless if you are not the original owner, but even that's not the case. I was the original owner, but still received the same unhelpful, rude, and insulting behavior. The Timefactors terms and conditions page was altered to retroactively deny my claims, and of course I was banned from the forum and website too.
poppydoodlesdad
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by poppydoodlesdad »

The simple answer seems to be to steer clear. Which is a shame as he does actually do some nice watches.
Personally I wouldn't go near them now...

Sent from my BiPhone using Twitatwat
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." Dr. Seuss

Some watches
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Post by gaf1958 »

nicedream wrote:Really, this is typical of him from what I've experienced. He will go to whatever lengths to deny responsibility and try to pin blame on the customer. The OP in this thread said that Timefactor's warranty is worthless if you are not the original owner, but even that's not the case. I was the original owner, but still received the same unhelpful, rude, and insulting behavior. The Timefactors terms and conditions page was altered to retroactively deny my claims, and of course I was banned from the forum and website too.
Well that answers my question/speculation - thank you. Sounds like one to avoid, even if some of his watches look good...
gaf1958 wrote:One of the issues I have with his response relates to this:

"The majority of warranty repairs I receive are from people who have just bought a second-hand watch with a problem. Many of these problems are not warranty issues because the previous owner has abused or tinkered with the watch, which is why I tried to determine some history but you have consistently refused to tell me where the watch is from. When they have damaged a watch, they move it on...."

Why is this valid only for second owners? Could not the original purchaser who has "tinkered" with a watch be equally as likely to return it for repair? Which in turn makes me wonder whether the same excuse will be rolled out for original purchasers?

Please note the following is just conjecture, it's not quoted from anyone or anywhere...

"The majority of warranty repairs I receive are not warranty issues because the owner has abused or tinkered with the watch, which is why I tried to determine some history. When they have damaged a watch, they send back for repair..."
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
st-rider
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 12
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by st-rider »

akirk wrote:It is worth remembering that a warranty is a manufacturer contract with its purchaser - usually non-assignable, meaning that it is not valid for a subsequent person who buys the item second-hand from the first purchaser...

this is totally separate to and different from consumer rights...

therefore a manufacturer could choose to give 1 day's warranty or 5 years' warranty - up to them, but in parallel, the standard consumer rights (updated last year) kick in - and the manufacturer can't exclude those rights through contract - so they over-rule any warranty terms...

so a watch which is under a year old and not abused etc. may have a claim on the manufacturer through consumer law - regardless of warranty conditions - however the manufacturer can equally be right (though of no relevance) in claiming that the warranty does not cover it!

Alasdair
It's also worth remembering that there's the Sales of Goods Act which iirc states goods must last a reasonable length of time. That time is dependant on the goods as some will last longer than others. It's also related to cost. For example, with watches a plastic cased £10 model bought from your local garage wouldn't be expected to last as long as a stainless cased model selling for £500+.

There's also the European directives on consumer rights (2011/83/eu and my favourite ;) 1999/44/EC - we're still in Europe atm).

These laws talk of the responsibilities of the manufacturer(s). They don't specify original purchaser.
Alex

Caitlin: "What did Ducky look like when he was younger?"
Gibbs: "Illya Kuryakin" :D
Kansas City Milkman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by Kansas City Milkman »

The bloke sounds like a complete arse
TG3N
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by TG3N »

Good grief, that's absolutely mental! Osain, I think you demonstrated admirable decorum & politeness.

I quite liked the 'Speedbird' on Time Factors, but I'd never order from this man having read that. Provided nothing to warrant any confidence in him or his product, and every reason to steer clear.

Also, perhaps I've just been miraculously lucky (or it's a Miyota-only issue), but his comment re Automatics rarely generating enough power reserve without winding sounds like complete bobbins as well. I have owned multiple Automatics of various makes, and never wind them manually (worry it'll unduly stress the mechanism, on ETAs especially), just shaking gently to start them off, and have never had one power down on me yet (provided they were worn daily at least for a few hours). This is despite working a 9-5 desk job. I'm not stevedoring or anything. Plus, I always change watches in the evening, or during the weekend, so it's very common for two watches to run together for easily a week or more, even just evening rotor-powered whilst sitting on my sofa. Total cobblers.
nicedream

Post by nicedream »

TG3N wrote: Also, perhaps I've just been miraculously lucky (or it's a Miyota-only issue), but his comment re Automatics rarely generating enough power reserve without winding sounds like complete bobbins as well. I have owned multiple Automatics of various makes, and never wind them manually (worry it'll unduly stress the mechanism, on ETAs especially), just shaking gently to start them off, and have never had one power down on me yet (provided they were worn daily at least for a few hours). This is despite working a 9-5 desk job.
I thought the same thing. I believe he is hoping that Osain didn't know much about watches and trying to pull the wool over his eyes. I also work a desk job, and have worn automatics for months at a time without them ever running out of power. Everything I've read indicates that while wearing an automatic watch, even on an fairly inactive person, there will be enough power generated through movement that it should have a nearly 100% full power reserve at all times. This is why some people will claim that all things being equal, an automatic watch will be slightly more accurate than a handwound. Isochronism is much less of a worry when you're always at the same power level.

To say that "Very few people develop sufficient power reserve to keep a watch running indefinitely by automatic winding alone" is a load of BS. Additionally, there are claims that some automatic movements can be prone to premature wear by handwinding them.
TG3N
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by TG3N »

nicedream wrote:This is why some people will claim that all things being equal, an automatic watch will be slightly more accurate than a handwound. Isochronism is much less of a worry when you're always at the same power level.

Additionally, there are claims that some automatic movements can be prone to premature wear by handwinding them
Interesting points, and I wasn't aware of the isochronism issue. Cheers.
jrpippen
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 0

Post by jrpippen »

Wow! What a read. 😰😰
If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all.
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

Speaking from personal experience, Eddie likes to swing the ban hammer anytime someone either disagrees with him, or calls him out on his hypocrisy. A shame really, as he makes some nice pieces, and I was going to buy a 36mm Everest from Timefactors.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
DEV.Woulf
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by DEV.Woulf »

Yeah. I was also looking at the 36mm Everest as it looks like an accurate early-Explorer homage. But I can't give my money to a company whom may not fix my broken watch, or to a prick who I dislike. Alas, CW will be getting my money once again. Their customer service may be in the crapper but, as always, they are trying. :-({|=
Christopher Ward | LORIER | MONTA | SEIKO

Joseph.
ItsAliveJim
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by ItsAliveJim »

jrpippen wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:54 pm Wow! What a read. 😰😰
You have got to be kidding me :shock:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What the hell is he building in there?" Tom Waits