Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

iOS 17 is rubbish

Post by missF »

That’s all really.
When I want to add an emoji it sticks it randomly up at the start of the page. When I cut something and paste it in it sticks it at the bottom of the text. Both of these things are Sometimes. Sometimes I can do what I want to do and sometimes I can’t. Sometimes I can tap to add the cursor at the start of a word; Sometimes it highlights the whole word.

Hopefully the great algorithm in the sky is reading this and can fix it. Otherwise I’m going back to a dumb phone, and I’ll phone in my forum posts… :evil:
These users thanked the author missF for the post (total 3):
Amor Vincit Omniatikkathreethomcat00
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Re: iOS 17 is rubbish

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Don’t even get me started on dictation. I used to use it a great deal and it was pretty good, apart from the odd misunderstanding akin to AutoCorrect. However, recently it has begun inserting commas where they are most certainly not needed, and refusing to capitalise new sentences after a full stop. In addition to inserting emojis in random places such as the beginning of the post. :?
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post:
thomcat00
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
MistaFroggyG
Guru
Guru

Post by MistaFroggyG »

After being so tired of the old autocorrect that I’ve had it off, I find the new one pretty great.
NigelS
Expert
Expert
CW-watches: 2

Post by NigelS »

MistaFroggyG wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 8:43 pm After being so tired of the old autocorrect that I’ve had it off . . . .
You do mean 'turned it off' don't you? :lol:
'Life is Art, and not otherwise' C.S.Lewis
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

I think Apple has leaned too heavily into machine learning and it has negatively affected a lot of the built in services. For example instead of actually processing the incoming speech to a high degree when using speech to text they use ML to 'guess' what you mean and what is coming next. The result is a lackluster experience. ML has become a real crutch in tech these days and a lot of the results aren't great.

As far as IOS17 goes, it completely broke my Apple Pay when I updated to 17.0.3. Luckily it fixed itself a couple of days later but it was a pain for those few days because I use it a lot.
These users thanked the author rkovars for the post:
Stif
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

Just wondering if there’s anymore horror stories with IOS17? I’ve held off with updating because I was happy with my phone’s performance and didn’t like what I’d heard here. Perhaps the gremlins have been ironed out. How’s it functioning for you?

Des
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

strapline wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 7:09 pm Just wondering if there’s anymore horror stories with IOS17? I’ve held off with updating because I was happy with my phone’s performance and didn’t like what I’d heard here. Perhaps the gremlins have been ironed out. How’s it functioning for you?

Des
None from me. I updated pretty quickly and haven’t had any issues. For reference, I’m running it on a second generation iPhone SE.
Drew
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by strapline »

@jkbarnes Thanks Drew, I’m using the same phone, too. Think I’ll chance my arm. As usual there’s a lot of patches and security updates as well. It’s important to keep current with that stuff.

Des
These users thanked the author strapline for the post:
jkbarnes
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

strapline wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 8:35 pm @jkbarnes Thanks Drew, I’m using the same phone, too. Think I’ll chance my arm. As usual there’s a lot of patches and security updates as well. It’s important to keep current with that stuff.

Des
I’ll add that I’ve experienced no issues with performance, either feeling snappier or slower, and no battery drain issues except for the initial re-indexing of the phone after the update. My SE is the base configuration of memory with apps kept to a minimum.
Drew
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by thomcat00 »

I’ve an SE as well. Still running 15.4, so I’ve missed all the incremental features of 16. :D Once I purge some music and pics, I’ll update I suppose.
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

thomcat00 wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 7:16 am I’ve an SE as well. Still running 15.4…
:shock: :shock: :shock:

No room to run an update? I’m a fanatic about storage management.
Drew
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by thomcat00 »

jkbarnes wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 1:38 pm
thomcat00 wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 7:16 am I’ve an SE as well. Still running 15.4…
:shock: :shock: :shock:

No room to run an update? I’m a fanatic about storage management.
More than half my storage is music for offline listening. I should dump some of the pics; more than a few CW pics I’ve already shared. :p
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

thomcat00 wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:44 pm More than half my storage is music for offline listening. I should dump some of the pics; more than a few CW pics I’ve already shared. :p
Ahh, I get it. Luckily, I rarely have a need for that and will download for the few occasions I do then delete. Photos have been my bogey man. I’ve started editing judiciously and only saving the photos worth saving. These get synced to google photo then deleted from my phone. Apple’s iCloud photo management is absolute garbage, hence my use of Google.
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post:
thomcat00
Drew
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by strapline »

Certainly enjoying the new updated weather info on IOS 17. Loads of in-depth weather info including a great moonphase graphic that shows the current phase of the moon, as well as the whole month's cycle. Great for those that bought the C1 Moonphase. There was a spectacular beaver moon last night with no cloud cover. Haven't run in to anything that's irking me so far but early days.
6654C5CE-5C9D-434E-BCBD-78B3DB98937B.png
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

I’m running it on iPhone 12 and 6th gen iPad. No problems that I can see, and the functionality seems much better on dictation, plus the fact that you can type and dictate at the same time.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)