missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Impulse...

Post by missF »

Here’s some questions for a Sunday...

Are you impulsive wrt watches?
Were you always or does it change over time?
What’s your most impulsive buy?
How do you restrain your impulse to buy another watch?

I have become very impulsive in recent years. I don’t regret it. I have tried watches that I never would have bought if I was being more circumspect. I lose some money on watches that don’t work out, but this is my hobby, and it’s a lot cheaper than running a car :lol:

Tell me your thoughts on impulse and impulsiveness. It’s Sunday- plenty time to ponder :)
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Re: Impulse...

Post by missF »

My most impulsive buy was my Oris Divers 65 x chronos LE. In a very strange state of mind - it wasn’t great - I ended up believing that it wasn’t me who had bought the watch at all...
9FE5EDD7-0DE5-4C39-AAAE-9CE2BB99E16F.jpeg
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Betwixt and between. I usually like to have an idea what I'm buying, so I will have done some research. But I won't have read the Book of Jeremiah to find all the reasons not to buy. I might read a review as long as it's literate and doesn't read like an extended commercial; I might watch a video review provided the reviewer speaks properly and doesn't spend the first two minutes telling me to like the channel. I'm wary of both, however, because you never know to what extent the reviewer is in the manufacturer's pocket.

Once my mind is made up, action is usually quite swift and decisive - one way or t'other.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Noush
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Noush »

That Oris is a Banger. It's you. Best watch you've had - for you - in my opinion. Great impulse. Sometimes they speak, sometimes they shout.

Personally I've become more circumspect over time as I understand what makes my tail wag. Clearer focus I guess. There's also the issue that I keep my journey in the watch box and I need time to wear my 'children'. :)

The clear impulsive buy though of recent times was the Brew Metric. Gold to have fun with m why not? It continues to be worn regularly. Cheap and ever so cheerful.

IMG_0144.jpeg
Chris
"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans" : John Lennon.
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Post by Soporsche »

I think I'm probably a bit of both, also depending what's going on in the rest of my life. Sometimes the research has come after the purchase!
The 2 Breitling Top Times were definitely impulse and very expensive (for me) ones at that, a couple of pickups on Sales corner have been the same. Other times I have been guilty of buying 'the bargain' as much as the watch though I think I'm over that now 🙂.
On others there was a long term consideration, research and eventual realisation.
The only problem with the impulse purchases that don't work out, is, I'm much better at buying than getting around to selling so the watch box has grown considerably.
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

Soporsche wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:56 am The 2 Breitling Top Times were definitely impulse and very expensive (for me) ones at that,
I think that’s why I blanked out all knowledge of buying the Oris - it was very expensive- definitely a realm above where I felt comfortable. So maybe for me some impulsivity is good to let me stretch beyond my normal watchy boundaries
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Post by Soporsche »

I think some element of impulsiveness is possibly a good thing as long as it doesn't have a negative impact on rest of your life. With watches it has occasionally been a chance spot, trying on something I hadn't previously considered that surprised and wowed me.. so yes, widened my horizons. My software developer friends tend to refer to it as being 'agile' rather than impulsive 😁.
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

Agile! :clap: :thumbup: :lol:
scampbell61
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 5

Post by scampbell61 »

I am usually very analytical about decisions that I make in my life. With an accounting background there is always a spreadsheet lurking somewhere around. I feel like I always have one or two watches that I am researching. Using a very scientific approach (LOL), internet forums, YouTube reviews, Chrono24, eBay, WUS, manufacture’s website, etc. to come to an informed decision on how this watch will change my life. Then out of the blue an impulse (poor control) purchase with a watch that is not in my “grand scheme” as if I can have a “grand scheme” in watch collecting.

I have purchased 7 watches this year, 2 planned, 5 on impulse and sold 4 of those impulse purchases already. I can say that I am having fun, learning about, and trying brands or models that I may not have ever considered. This is supposed to be an enjoyable hobby.

For the remaining of this year, I will be applying my scientific method (LOL) to two watches, the CW “Twelve” wanting to compare the 40mm with the smaller version hopefully that will be out this fall and the Sinn U50. These are the only two watches that I plan to purchase the rest of the year (who am I kidding).

My most impulsive buy was the Seiko SBDC125/SPB185. This was not on my radar and I soon as I saw the stainless-steel bezel, I was a goner. For me this is what a Seiko diver should look like.
Stewart
“Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.” ― Eric Hoffer

C65 -Dune, C63-Sealander GMT, C60 Atoll 300 “Shark White”, Twelve, and C65 Chronograph
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

scampbell61 wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 2:02 pm My most impulsive buy was the Seiko SBDC125/SPB185. This was not on my radar and I soon as I saw the stainless-steel bezel, I was a goner. For me this is what a Seiko diver should look like.
I wonder if impulse buys may not be quite as impulsive as we think they are? They may be the sum-total fruit of a great many watches tried, thoughts had, reviews read, NCW/CWOTD threads that have influenced us subconsciously over years. Then a watch pops up that chimes with a lot of those subconscious thoughts, everything feels like it’s falling into place, and that appears as an impulsive feeling to buy the watch with little conscious thought.

I’ll stick to that theory anyway :lol:
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post:
missF
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by TheBeatles »

I’m definitely guilty of impulse buying, particularly watches and rare bottles of JD.

Currently at 16 watches but have been up to as many as 30 before a whittling down exercise.

JD bottles at about 35 but as many as, best estimate, over 60.

I also pick up Beatles books whenever I can, usually at charity shops. Latest one full price tho (at least on offer at Amazon) - Paul McCartney The Lyrics
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

TheBeatles wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 4:38 pm I’m definitely guilty of impulse buying, particularly watches and rare bottles of JD.

Currently at 16 watches but have been up to as many as 30 before a whittling down exercise.

I also pick up Beatles books whenever I can, usually at charity shops. Latest one full price tho (at least on offer at Amazon) - Paul McCartney The Lyrics
Full bottles, or empty, and turned into table lamps? :D
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by TheBeatles »

JAFO wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:01 pm :shock: :shock:
TheBeatles wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 4:38 pm
I’m definitely guilty of impulse buying, particularly watches and rare bottles of JD.

All full, I have a separate drinking stock. None converted into lamps
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

TheBeatles wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:07 pm
JAFO wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:01 pm :shock: :shock:
TheBeatles wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 4:38 pm

All full, I have a separate drinking stock. None converted into lamps
Are they different flavours then, or do you have lots of the same brew? I have a few whiskies that I just don't want to open. I have a bottle of Dimple in a wire cage. That must be 30 years old, probably a lot more. I also have about 100 miniatures possibly, but I can't see them ever getting opened.