Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Re: Impulse...

Post by TheBeatles »

JAFO wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:28 pm
Are they different flavours then, or do you have lots of the same brew? I have a few whiskies that I just don't want to open. I have a bottle of Dimple in a wire cage. That must be 30 years old, probably a lot more. I also have about 100 miniatures possibly, but I can't see them ever getting opened.
All varying strengths, Limited and Special Editions. Full size, not miniatures. From 50cl up to 3 Litre.
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
Noush
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Noush »

Background to the most recent impulse.
I'd been drooling over this one, and an email came in with the gold Brew release. Kinda had to have it then :)

Streamliner-Tourbillon-Vantablack-2-1200x800.jpg
Chris
"Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans" : John Lennon.
PaulD2

Post by PaulD2 »

Impulse bought one of these last week. Lovely watch, but financially inopportune!

Seiko_Presage_Arita_SPB093_case1.jpg
Last edited by welshlad on Sun Jun 11, 2023 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Placing attachment images in line
These users thanked the author PaulD2 for the post (total 2):
NoushSoporsche
thomcat00
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 15

Post by thomcat00 »

I’m certainly mixed in my watch buying. Sometimes an impulse just seizes me and I can do nothing but buy right at that moment. Much of my buying is considered, but I know my preferences and typically am not so much as actively looking but opportunistically looking. Meaning, I know what I like and if I stumbled on something interesting then I may dig deeper on it. If I have looked and one pops up that by my criteria fits the want list, I will buy. It may seem impulsive but it has been considered even if I wasn’t actively seeking it.

One example: Seiko SPB259J1 the anniversary Ginza dial. Not available for sale in the US, nevertheless I looked into it. By the time I decided I wanted it, it was already beginning to appear on the secondary market at stupidly inflated prices. I found one at a UK retailer, paid, and over a month later the retailer informed me they were out of stock, and further they don’t ship to the US anyway. Seeing as my address has not changed in over a decade, they knew from the outset I was in the US, but they took the order anyway. Didn’t I sound American on the phone? By the time I got my refund - less exchange fees and loss of exchange rate, the watch was sold out most everywhere else. I found one in Israel. This shop would sell it to me, but it had to be collected in person. A friend of a friend agreed to be my local person, however it took too long, and that one was also sold.

I gave up. And then one Ginza appeared second hand among the CW faithful. I bought it as soon as I saw it posted. I still feel I overpaid for what it is worth to me but I enjoy it.

Whew, that was long!

The other impulse was when the C1 Powerglow appeared in CW’s prototype sale two summers ago. That was part “how cool is this??!!” and part FOMO. The three went fast.

CW sales are “impulse” but I’ve considered the line prior to the sale. So, when I got my white Sealander in a sale, it had already been out for 9-10 months. And I’d liked it from the preview onward. :)
These users thanked the author thomcat00 for the post:
JAFO
with Kung Fu grip, and life-like hair
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

@thomcat00

Yes i think buying a watch you haven't previously considered might be impulsive, but buying a watch you have been thinking about, and which you see at a favourable price is not so impulsive. Neither is buying a watch you haven't previously.considered but is available at a good discount. You don't really have the time to consider these opportunities at length

I am sure that's why CW 50% sales were so popular. The discounts now are still good but not so deep.
These users thanked the author JAFO for the post:
thomcat00
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by iain »

Impulsive?

Or decisive?

I have a savings bank account that any spare wages go off into at the end of the month. This is mine to do what I want with after all bills and joint account household spends are taken care of and over the last few years it’s mostly gone on watches. I don’t have excessive money to spend, I do work for the NHS after all, so I’m usually swapping and part exchanging one watch for something else.

If I’ve got the money there, I like the watch, and I’m happy with it then I tend to act first and think later.

I prefer the word decisive….
These users thanked the author iain for the post (total 2):
Bahnstormer_vRSwatchaholic
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

iain wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 2:30 pm Or decisive?
That’s another good one. My mind is decisive and agile :thumbup:
These users thanked the author missF for the post:
watchaholic
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Impulse...

Post by gaf1958 »

PaulD2 wrote:Impulse bought one of these last week. Lovely watch, but financially inopportune!

A lovely watch, I must say! I have a near relative in this porcelain dialled SPB171, but the red XII on yours is an absolute standout and it wins the kudos any day IMO. Like yours, this was an impulse buy, saw it and bought it.

Sadly, the porcelain Seiko has had a lot of competition in recent times from my Clé de Cartier - definitely not an impulse buy. The Seiko *may* be leaving the stable shortly due to this…. Thinking about it, the watches I’ve owned the longest have been those I’ve searched for or agonised over for years.

CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by tikkathree »

missF wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:11 am Here’s some questions for a Sunday...

Are you impulsive wrt watches?
Were you always or does it change over time?
What’s your most impulsive buy?
How do you restrain your impulse to buy another watch?

I have become very impulsive in recent years. I don’t regret it. I have tried watches that I never would have bought if I was being more circumspect. I lose some money on watches that don’t work out, but this is my hobby, and it’s a lot cheaper than running a car :lol:

Tell me your thoughts on impulse and impulsiveness. It’s Sunday- plenty time to ponder :)
How queer as they say :silent: I'd been pondering creating a thread called "I love AliExpress because" and lo and be-flippin'-hold you've paved the way for me: thank you.

My thread would have said something like

"I can put watches in my basket and leave them there without fear of accidentally buying any of them so I see a watch, I have an impulse which I can act upon in complete safety."

"I can refine my desires over time. Lusts come and lusts go (yes I know the old line about "And the art school dance goes on forever" hahaha) and what I want - or what I think that I want - changes over time. Some go into a favourites list, some go straight into a shopping basket; metaphorically I turn them over in my hands, I take a step back and very occasionally something gets deleted from the favourites list: MM300 true Seiko Limited Edition homages are a great case in point. Right now there's a pleasant little salmon dial hand-winder in there and it won't make any progress because of my Baltic MR01.

"My most impulsive buy at AliExpress I have unboxed, looked at, considered it to be a reasonable pastiche and put it back in the box". I know it's not the original and yet it's so close in appearance with the dial signed as the original that I can't bring myself to wear it or flog it on. It will end up being donated to a charity shop.

So AliExpress is an online marketplace where out and out fakes rub shoulders with "looks like the hands of X and the dial of Y in the case of Z" or are "variations on a theme" and visually and mechanically some of them are more than good enough to please the eye and provide good service. They aren't all cheap by any means but my eyes tend to wander over the sub £300 range of watches where there is plenty to look at.
Did I mention several sale periods a year when stock levels appear to dip dramatically? Confucius say "If you snooze then you lose capitalist westerner!"

I restrain myself from buying another watch by convincing myself that Aliexpress is simply a spectator sport. Look at 'em online, stick 'em in a virtual basket but at the last minute you turn away. The crazy cats on youtube who are often gifted these watches in return for online reviews tell me that "this would make an excellent every day watch for £X" and I think yes, let's have a look, I like the look of it but will I wear it beyond week 2?

My magic escape phrase runs like this:
"This piece of Chinese engineering costs 40, 50, maybe 60% of the price of a pre-owned Swiss watch from an English company which markets under the name Christopher Ward: hand on heart is this Chinese product 40, 50 or 60% of the quality of a pre-owned CW C60?".

It works every time. I start looking for when the next sale will be, I start loading my shopping basket, the sale arrives and I look at the discounts and with considerable impulse I manage to restrain myself. I'm doing it right now in fact. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: That's the sound of smugness.
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20FLE
Some other brands
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

OMG @tikkathree that sounds like a trial :lol: Remind me never to go near that rabbit hole...

Still - a question comes to me - are you actually very aware of your impulsive nature but able to keep it under control with your AliExpress dance of putting watches in your basket - then taking them out once the impulse has passed? If so then you are a master of your own mind :D
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by tikkathree »

missF wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 4:55 pm OMG @tikkathree that sounds like a trial :lol: Remind me never to go near that rabbit hole...

Still - a question comes to me - are you actually very aware of your impulsive nature but able to keep it under control with your AliExpress dance of putting watches in your basket - then taking them out once the impulse has passed? If so then you are a master of your own mind :D
I'd liken it to being afraid of heights but showing it who's boss by leaning out of high places.
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20FLE
Some other brands
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

tikkathree wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:07 pm
I'd liken it to being afraid of heights but showing it who's boss by leaning out of high places.
:D :D :D
PaulD2

Post by PaulD2 »

gaf1958 wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 3:25 pm
PaulD2 wrote:Impulse bought one of these last week. Lovely watch, but financially inopportune!

A lovely watch, I must say! I have a near relative in this porcelain dialled SPB171, but the red XII on yours is an absolute standout and it wins the kudos any day IMO. Like yours, this was an impulse buy, saw it and bought it.

Sadly, the porcelain Seiko has had a lot of competition in recent times from my Clé de Cartier - definitely not an impulse buy. The Seiko *may* be leaving the stable shortly due to this…. Thinking about it, the watches I’ve owned the longest have been those I’ve searched for or agonised over for years.

That Cartier is absolutely superb.