I'm back: an apology and an explanation.

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
xtriple
Forum gobshite
CW-watches: 3

I'm back: an apology and an explanation.

Post by xtriple »

Been away for a while (if any of you noticed) and thought you all deserved an explanation as to why. I was utterly out of control! There, I've said it (the first step to recovery). Every waking (and quite a few sleeping) moments was spent drooling over watches, plotting the next acquisition, planning where to get the money from, how to hide just how much I was spending from the dearly beloved.

It was brought home to me clearly (and set the gears in motion for me to have a proper think) when, just before Christmas, I was talking to a friend and we were joking that "The house and the cars are paid for but my watch is on HP!" At the time, it was funny, but later...

How utterly bloody ridiculous!

Since I joined the forum in August, there has hardly been a week where I haven't bought a watch, sometimes two, sometimes more and only one week (that I can remember) where I didn't get another watch. If a new watch wasn't incoming, I felt dreadful and had to get on the case quickly.

I was up to over 40 watches in 4 months! A lot of them I kept quiet about as hiding things from your friends is part of an addiction/obsession. I have now given away a few to friends and family and am back to under thirty (!) and intend to reduce this number further. I do have an obsessive personality and suffer with OCD and Manic Depression (capitals deserved!) and watches had become a "Mania". I had to get myself under control.

It's really strange: I can go on other watch fora and be relatively unaffected: they don't instantly make me want to spend a fortune on other watches, while I come on here, where most of you I consider "friends" and the urge is immense! So I blame you lot :D .

It was really brought home to me when I realised how hard I was plotting to get a new Rolex. I was even contemplating selling my car ( it would buy a couple of nice pieces!) or forking out another £125 per month on 0% finance at Goldsmiths - utterly, stupidly, ridiculous! :(

So I banned myself from here for one month. Also, banned myself from buying a watch for a month, to see if I could get myself under control. I could (and did) go on TZ, but not much and made very few posts, but necessary if I want to sell some watches on there in the future to not appear to be a "user". Strange, but I really don't get the same buzz on other fora... Odd, but I can spend time on there, in the SC and not really get the same old desires to spend unless you lot have got me set on a mission first - not blaming you guys at all, perhaps it's just a desire for me to be accepted into your club, to be seen as a "Proper watch guy" that set me off on such a destructive path.

Also, there were one or two people on here that were begining to bug me, being accused of "Spamming" **** me right off and I was vaguely aware that I was "Over-reacting" as, when all's said and done, this is just an internet forum with "Virtual friends" ( I hope you don't mind that I honestly consider most of you so?) and not "real life".

Anyway, done it now. A whole month away and it did get easier. Also, no new watches for over a month and no great desire for any either! I consider this a succesful experiment... phew!

So. I'm back (if you'll let me come back?) and the real test will come over the next few weeks weeks if I can continue to resist spending like money itself is going out of fashion!

I apologies to one and all for just disappearing without a word, but the decision was made on New Years day (when I sobered up!) and it was too late to change the decision. I Hope to become a "Proper watch guy" in the fullness of time without spending bloody thousands weekly on this hobby/obsession.

Yes, I know I'm a sad, lonely old Manic Obsessive but I am trying, honest!
CW C3 CWS, C13 GWT, 2012 FLE. Tag Heuer. Citizen. Tissot Tudor. Breitling Colt + SuperOcean. Orient SK. Deep Blue. Seiko X2. Steinhart Ocean 1. Timex X3. MuDu. Longines. Yema. Omega Speedmaster +Seamaster SMP. Roamer. Sully. Bulova. Ingersol.
Jape
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Re: I'm back: an apology and an explanation.

Post by Jape »

Welcome back! :) You were indeed missed. Sorry to hear about the problems, but very nice to hear you've got yourself sorted.

Even if I don't have quite so serious a tendency to buy new pieces, I understand how reading posts here can actually get you seriously wanting to buy...and buy. It's not like the comments here really are against buying. :D

Anyway, nice to hear you are on the right path now!
C7 Rapide C11 Auto C600 Tri-Tech C2 Lido C40 Speedhawk C60 600 Sinn 857 Sinn 103St Sinn U1 Omega Seamaster Pro 300
Wants are many but funds scarce.
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

Welcome back you silly old bugger.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Great to have you back, Dave! We've all missed you...and Lorn...and Phoebs...and Chester...and the :silent: :silent: :silent: :silent: :silent: :silent: :silent:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; wannabe travel writer

Walk a while in others' shoes...

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time
castle
Forumgod
Forumgod

Post by castle »

Firstly good to have you back.

Secondly thank you for being so honest- it would have been very easy to just slide back and hope nobody noticed.

Finally reading about your journey has made me reevaluate how much time I spend on here once more. I previously had taken part in a "technology fast" with a few friends for a week. No internet/tv/newspaper. It was primarily done for spiritual reasons (we all go to the same church and have been starting to think about our relationship with God more seriously) but I found it of great personal benefit beyond what I had expected. I may need to think about doing something similar again as there is a danger that we get our self esteem from what watches we own and how much we know and/or talk about them.

So thank you and all the best with your journey from here.
CW-C8 MKI
Steinhart Nav B-Chrono II
Citizen -"Orca" and 1976 chrono.
Seiko-"Spork", "Stargate II", "Blumo", 009 mod.
Zeno 300m army diver
Revue Thommen Airspeed chrono
Junkers Bauhaus.
mabotham
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by mabotham »

You have been missed as one of the regulars mate
highway62

Post by highway62 »

Welcome back! :D
f1colin
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by f1colin »

First, great to see you back

Second, your honesty is refreshing. Sometimes we do have that reality check and I also recognise some of your symptoms - I've gone from 1 CW to 9 with another pending (FLE Red 2012) in 5 months. I also like this place and it can be a bit addicitve.

Trouble is, watches are only one of my weaknesses!

Last, I think you are the only person I've heard from who stuck to a new years resolution fully throughout January! Well done....
f1colin

Rolex Sub, Oyster, Daytona
Tudor Black Bay, Big Block
Omega Dynamic, Speed, Speed 2, Speed 4.5, SM300
Heuer Monaco, Monza, Daytona, Silverstone, Autavia, Carrera, Calculator, Camaro, Montreal, Audi, Verona, 844, AMI, 1000
Seiko Pogue
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 147
LE-one: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

First thing…..Welcome Back!

Second ….…..we consider everyone family, so no explanation or apology is necessary.

Third…………..I am very happy that you feel comfortable enough with us here that you are able to share your thoughts and addictions so that we may help.

Despite my musings about always buying another watch and what’s next etc….this can be an addiction and inspire a compulsive and OCD behaviour. The trick is to separate the fun from reality. Those levels will vary for each of us.
You are fortunate that you have recognized the problem and addressed it before going completely out of control to a point of ruin.

“The Asylum” is a forum for fun, information and learning…not to mention a few meds and treatments now and then. I hope that during your adventure into other forums you realize that where you can get the most help is here.
You can always blame me for the (what you shall now call) negative encouragement. It is what I do. I shall adjust your meds to help you get through these troubled times.

In the meantime…jump back in, and if you feel the urge…tell Lorne….I am sure she will set you straight!
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Aifo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8
LE-three: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Post by Aifo »

Welcome back. And you are missed. Your opinion on topics watch related or not are treasured so keep chipping in!
Incoming: 0
mikem
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 4

Post by mikem »

welcome back chap. :thumbup:

I have been on this forum a little bit longer but I dont post half as much as you but I have made some friends on here so regard this place great to be with like minded chaps, so welcome back again...........Oh and dont take any of those nice peices to bits, you think you got OCD :oops:
Gots
Tissot prs200
MarcelloC Nettuno3
C70 DBR1
C4 RAF Valley 202 Sqn Special Edition Chrono
Vostok Europe Expedition 2006
C60 trident 2012 fle #xx
C6 Kingfisher

Wants
Fortis B42 Chronomaster
C60 Trident GMT
C70 Brooklands
CornishDave
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by CornishDave »

Blimey that looks a bit serious! Hope you manage to control the spend for the rest of this year, and still enjoy the camaraderie on here. I only have 12 watches and never buy more than 3 in a year so I am succeeding!
Mr Rick
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 17

Post by Mr Rick »

Welcome back Mr X,

I'll bet some of us see ourselves in what you say. I know I do. And I'll take your comments as a sober warning of how close I have come to putting myself in the same situation. Thanks for the wake up call.

Take it slow and easy. Good to have you back.
Rick

Various vintage Heuers
CW C8 Pilot MK I and II, 2011 and 13 FLEs, C5 B of B and Malvern Aviator MK II, C11 MSL MK I, C70 DBR1, C60 and C60 GMT, C9 Harrison, C9 Chrono, C10 Aviator
watchlover1
Senior Expert
Senior Expert

Post by watchlover1 »

I take my hat off to you for the honesty :D I only had about 13 watches but that was enough to get a lambasting from friends who think its weird to have anything above 1 or 2. Ive sold a few recently but come to the conclusion that we will never quite have all the watches we desire!I am trying to stick to the ones I will actually wear on a regular basis...that may not help you but its one tip I offer when considering a watch purchase.
Citizen,Tag Heuer,Oris,Victorinox Swiss Army,Casio,G-Shock,Fossil, Guess
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

watchlover1 wrote:I only had about 13 watches but that was enough to get a lambasting from friends who think its weird to have anything above 1 or 2.
I got very much the same from a friend the other week. She seems to think 40 pairs of shoes is OK,though, along with a cabinet stuffed with about 100 cutesy little glass animals!! :lol:
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; wannabe travel writer

Walk a while in others' shoes...

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time