I don't know if I'm batting or bowling !

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Re: I don't know if I'm batting or bowling !

Post by magicman »

jkbarnes wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:55 pm I also struggle to overcome the “I don’t want to burden someone else with my problems” mentality.
That is something, I fully understand. But a recent event has changed my thoughts on this, I had a friend, who thought I had the hump with him, I was just generally grumpy at the time and wasnt sharing my thoughts or reasons for it. So we hadn't spoken or messaged other for ages.
2 years later we have reconnected and neither of us, had a good enough reason for the lack of contact, other than that we didn't want to burden each other with our problems. Is that just a Macho thing ?

All good now though.

Regards Steve
These users thanked the author magicman for the post:
jkbarnes
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:09 pm An interesting observation, Drew. In my case it was more like not wanting people to see or realise that I had a weakness or a gap in the armour, so to speak. My counsellor drew out of me that there were two different characters at odds here, the real me and the one who wanted to be seen as Superman. Superman had spent years locking the real me into a cupboard under the stairs, Harry Potter fashion, and telling him to shut up.

Sorry, Steve, don’t want to hijack your thread but I think these things are all relevant in a way.
I totally understand that perspective. I think in some ways the two perspectives might be flip sides of the same coin.

And in some ways, this isn’t so much a hijack as it is a broadening of the conversation. I think all the comments and observations are supportive and can be helpful, as you point out. At least I hope Steve sees it that way.
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post:
magicman
Drew
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

magicman wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:13 pm other than that we didn't want to burden each other with our problems. Is that just a Macho thing ?
If there’s one thing I’ve learned over the last 13+ years, it’s that a failure to communicate usually makes things worse, and open communication almost always makes things better.

I know it, but that doesn’t make it easy to follow through on. It’s a daily struggle for a lot of people, not just men.
Drew
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by magicman »

A bit of retail therapy at Watches of Switzerland today, after just under 2 years on the waitlist. I got the call a couple of days ago, to say my Rolex OP41 had arrived, they only gave me until Sunday to pick it up, so I visited today, and although it's not come at the best of times, I had to make it mine.
New sofas tomorrow and Father's day Sunday, will make this a week to remember for sure.

Regards Steve
These users thanked the author magicman for the post (total 4):
Bahnstormer_vRSAmor Vincit OmniajkbarnesmissF
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

magicman wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 4:48 pm I got the call a couple of days ago, to say my Rolex OP41 had arrived, they only gave me until Sunday to pick it up,
Pics!
Drew
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by magicman »

jkbarnes wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 1:49 am
magicman wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 4:48 pm I got the call a couple of days ago, to say my Rolex OP41 had arrived, they only gave me until Sunday to pick it up,
Pics!

20230616_084155-COLLAGE.jpg

A couple of things which came to mind when taking the photos.

The sunburst dial is very subtle, in low light its not noticeable, but get it out under blue sky's and it comes alive.

The bracelet is snug on my 7&1/2 inch wrist, which I'm very happy with, the case, end links and bracelet have certainly hit the sweet spot for me.
It was not resized out of the box, so anyone who has a bigger wrist or likes to wear looser, I would presume you would have to buy an additional link or keep the 5mm Extension permanently engaged.
I'm not sure if WOS have spare links stock.

Why my wrist looks so much fatter from underneath bemuses me.

Regards Steve
These users thanked the author magicman for the post (total 2):
Noushjkbarnes
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

The side views are gorgeous. Just lovely shapes and dimensions. Fits your wrist so well. :thumbup:
These users thanked the author missF for the post:
magicman
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Top notch acquisition, Steve. :clap: :clap:

A little bit (not too much) of retail therapy is good for the soul.

The 41 looks like it suits you well and thanks for the tip on the bracelet.

Even though I have a similar 7.5" wrist, I like to wear my bracelets on the loose side, so I might be in trouble; not that I'm planning to buy a Rolex any time soon. :wink: :wink:

Guy

Sent from my XPERIA 5 III using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author Bahnstormer_vRS for the post:
magicman
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by golfjunky »

magicman wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 8:58 am
jkbarnes wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 1:49 am
Pics!

20230616_084155-COLLAGE.jpg

A couple of things which came to mind when taking the photos.

The sunburst dial is very subtle, in low light its not noticeable, but get it out under blue sky's and it comes alive.

The bracelet is snug on my 7&1/2 inch wrist, which I'm very happy with, the case, end links and bracelet have certainly hit the sweet spot for me.
It was not resized out of the box, so anyone who has a bigger wrist or likes to wear looser, I would presume you would have to buy an additional link or keep the 5mm Extension permanently engaged.
I'm not sure if WOS have spare links stock.

Why my wrist looks so much fatter from underneath bemuses me.

Regards Steve
Holy cow Batman thats amazing! pint soon?
These users thanked the author golfjunky for the post:
magicman
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Breitling Aerospace Evo, Vintage Azur, Vintage Seiko Sprtsman, Grand Seiko SBGX059, Omega SMP NTTD 210.92.42.20.01.001, Casioak Milkyway, Casioak Tiffany Sky.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

missF wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 9:03 am The side views are gorgeous. Just lovely shapes and dimensions. Fits your wrist so well. :thumbup:
Agreed! I do love that Rolex side profile.

The dial looks fantastic @magicman!
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post:
magicman
Drew
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

@magicman
I hope that being open in this thread, about how you were feeling with all the stuff going on in your life, has helped to release the pressure.

Congratulations on the OP. The great thing about the black and dark blue OPs is that they are as under the radar as it gets with a Rolex. :thumbup:

It looks like you listed your Pelagos 39 for sale before the AD phoned about the OP? IIRC you mentioned elsewhere at the time of listing the Pelagos that you were rethinking owning expensive watches. Does that mean you were set on that direction of travel until the AD phoned offering the OP?

You mentioned that if you wrist was any bigger you would need to leave the easylink permanently extended (or get an extra link). Is the bracelet currently set on the longest setting of the three micro positions, as if not it would make the bracelet a bit bigger if the micro setting was adjusted?

Enjoy the new watch. You now appreciate that although not flashy or complex, Rolex do know how to make exceedingly good watches. Something that those that persistently knock the brand just don’t get. :)

Neil
These users thanked the author nbg for the post:
magicman
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by magicman »

^^^ @nbg

Definitely, feel better sharing my thoughts and getting them written down.

Yes, I was going to wait for the Rolex to come up, and stick with just 2 CWs until that happened.
I wasn't quite ready for it, and the timing was a bit off, but there was no way, I wasn't coming home with it.

I have been here before, and i have a habit of changing my mind.
Looking back at the Tag Monaco, Moonwatch, Seamaster, Black Bay 41 and 58, Pelagos FXD and 39, I think I said all of those were the Grail/One watch, I was done.

But it feels different this time. Why is that.
Well the Tag wasn't the right colourway, the Moonwatch was overcomplicated when my eyes started failing, the Seamaster Nekton was so close, but never felt quite there, should've tried the black.
The Tudors, BB41 too thick, the BB58 nearly there, but felt a bit dainty and really scratched up, the FXD was outstanding, but was topped by the Pelagos 39 when they released it, but I was still looking longingly at Rolex.

So a week ago the plan was to go back to the more affordable options, CWs obviously, as im a big fan, then sit and wait, until I topped the waitlist.
I bought a CW Twelve, and love it.

The car playing up, was also a factor, as I have no idea if its repairable or not, I'll find out tomorrow, so I bought its replacement, and selling the Pelagos should cover some of the cost, and unfortunately the Twelve will have to go too.

I'm hoping when the dust settles in the coming weeks, I'll look back on the this time, without any regrets and with a sense pride, that I didn't totally lose it, which I have done under these types of pressure before.
Especially when I'm in my comfort zone on my new couch, checking out my OP on the armrest, watching YouTube videos in improving my golf.

Regards Steve
These users thanked the author magicman for the post:
nbg
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
Soporsche
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 9

Post by Soporsche »

Lovely watch and I would argue timing was perfect from a little bit of good news perspective.
Looks very classy indeed as my mum would say. 👍

Wish my wait list story was as straightforward.. 🙄 I'll save that for another thread at some point.
These users thanked the author Soporsche for the post:
magicman
Stephen

A few CWs and other brands
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by magicman »

Soporsche wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 6:35 pm Lovely watch and I would argue timing was perfect from a little bit of good news perspective.
Looks very classy indeed as my mum would say. 👍

Wish my wait list story was as straightforward.. 🙄 I'll save that for another thread at some point.
Thanks, yeah it certainly boosted my mood going into the weekend.

@nbg
I forgot to add, the bracelets is set on the middle pip, so I can loosen it if required.

Regards Steve
Selling Tudor Pelagos 39
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

I don't know what the reaction would be, but I would be inclined to request another link for your bracelet, so you have that option if you decide you do need it a bit looser.

Other than that, congratulations on the new acquisition, and wear it in health. :D