I’d give up my watches for....

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

I’d give up my watches for....

Post by missF »

What would it take to make you give up your watches? Money? Football tickets? Holiday of a lifetime? Can your collection be bought??? :D
watching you fail in your quest for a “one watch” has been great entertainment
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Re: I’d give up my watches for....

Post by jkbarnes »

Are we talking fantasyland kind of stuff or something with slightly more real word application?

I mean, I’d give up my watches for a ‘54 Strat, a Jaguar XK120 Roadster, a [insert ridiculous luxury item here]…but I’m not sure that’s what you’re going for?

Alternatively, I’d give up my watches for my wife to have an opportunity to meet and get to know my grandparents who have passed. They would have loved and her and she them. But like the items above, this too is fantasyland kind of stuff.

Or are you looking for something far more real world, something actually in the realm of possibility? While I love my watches and say I’d never sell them for sentimental reasons, there’s most definitely a walk away number. There’s always a walk away number! I’ve never given any thought to what it might be, but it exists.

I don’t think I did this right?
Drew
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by StrapMeister »

A very interesting topic and something that has ran through my mind on many occasion.

Looking at this from a realistic perspective...
If I sold 50 - 75% of my collection I could buy a decent 2nd hand Aston Martin V8 Vantage (like I used to own) which I know would give me just as much pleasure as the watches sold. I could also consider a luxury holiday for myself and my other half.
These thoughts still run through my mind even now :-k

So why haven't I done this?
Well there's the obvious dilemma of which watches to sell.
Then there's the hassle of selling the, specifically high-end, watches and getting the "right" price for them.
Then there's the space issue - where to keep it - this would mean selling a car and, again, getting the "right" price for it.
Then there's the justification of purchasing a luxury car with the mind saying that if I had the money it could/should be spent on other "more important" things.
Even reading this back to myself I feel as if I'm coming up with excuses so perhaps my watch collection, and the journey I have been on with it, means more to me than I think.
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

I imagine it's like most things. If you need the cash it's a fairly saleable asset. If you don't need the cash you probably wouldn't choose to sell them, unless you decided you no longer wanted to own a selection.

It perhaps depends how big a proportion of your wealth is tied up in your watch collection.
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

jkbarnes wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:59 pm Are we talking fantasyland kind of stuff or something with slightly more real word application?
Anything you like Andrew! This morning I was thinking that I’d give up my watches for someone to cook me salads and healthy food for the rest of my life. Then again since I have no food in the house I’m also tempted to give up my watches for donuts and other baked goods! :lol:

I’m not sure that money bothers me enough to swap my watches for, but they say everyone has their price...

I’d give up my watches to be able to take a long walk without pain and restriction :thumbup:
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate

Post by missF »

StrapMeister wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:06 pm Well there's the obvious dilemma of which watches to sell.
This doesn’t have to depend on the monetary value of your watches - just imagine that a benign fairy will let you swap your watch collection for something you’d like a little bit more. What would that be? :D
Watchaholic

‘Imprudently spendy’
Thomcat00
Bungle-ator
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Bungle-ator »

Freedom. To keep a roof over my head. A little bit boring?

I'd also give them up for Kylie Minogue.
These users thanked the author Bungle-ator for the post:
Gar787
exHowfener
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by exHowfener »

I'd also give them up for Kylie Minogue
That's an impressive watch collection (or a fevered imagination) you have there :lol:
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by golfjunky »

Absolute job security
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Breitling Aerospace Evo, Vintage Azur, Vintage Seiko Sprtsman, Grand Seiko SBGX059, Omega SMP NTTD 210.92.42.20.01.001, Casioak Milkyway, Casioak Tiffany Sky.
Bungle-ator
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Bungle-ator »

exHowfener wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:27 pm

That's an impressive watch collection (or a fevered imagination) you have there :lol:
She's worth a few Casio's :D
gannet
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by gannet »

For mrs gannet to be pain and illness free - she's suffered since she was 13.
-- gannet.
C65 AMGT 1VEV | C60 Trident Chronograph 300 | C7 Rapide Automatic | C7 Rapide Quartz | C3 Malvern Chronograph MK II -Limited Edition
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

No question ... to be mortgage free!
Ryan
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

missF wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:12 pm This morning I was thinking that I’d give up my watches for someone to cook me salads and healthy food for the rest of my life…

…I’d give up my watches to be able to take a long walk without pain and restriction :thumbup:
Ahh, I get where you’re coming from. I refer back to my comment about having more time with my grandparents so my wife could have met them and gotten to know them.

I’d also consider giving up my watches to have a beautifully landscaped and maintained yard for the rest of my life, but with the nature of my “collection,” that might just translate into a potted plant on the porch with a watering can.
Drew
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

Guaranteed good health.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)