How to check drivers are up to date?

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
downer
CW-watches: 4

How to check drivers are up to date?

Post by downer »

Does anyone know of any reliable and free software for checking that PC drivers are up to date.

There seem to be loads of packages (drivermax, driverchecker etc) but they are not free, and I have no idea if they are any good.

Any advice gratefully received. :)
Richard
Tooks
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Re: How to check drivers are up to date?

Post by Tooks »

Personally, I wouldn't go anywhere near packages like that.

Is there a particular issue you're having with your PC that you hope will be fixed with an updated driver?

My motto with PC's is 'if it isn't broken, don't try to fix it'!

Obviously, I let my virus software update, and I also manually check my motherboard manufacturer website for any updated motherboard driver packages. I also occasionally check for updated graphics card drivers, but then I'm a gamer.

You can also let Windows 7 search for a better driver via the control panel for individual bits of hardware.

I suppose what I'm saying is, that IMHO its better to retain control of these things rather than hand them over to a 3rd party piece of software that may be collecting other info along the way.
Ideal number of watches in your collection = current number of watches + 1...
downer

Post by downer »

My specific problem is with a USB 2.0 7 port hub. It works ok, but each time the laptop goes to sleep it does not resume windows correctly, if the usb hub is connected. I have tried to find updated drivers for the hub, but without success. I am beginning to think the combination of the oldish hub and W7 x64 in a USB 3.0 socket is not that great.

The hub is a fairly cheap thing, but it has always worked ok. I have several usb devices connected to it - external HDDs, various other cables (e.g ipod cable) and most importantly, the receiver for my wireless mouse (I use a proper mouse when the laptop is on my desk.

For info the hub is a Pluscom USB 2.0 7 port USB Hub.
Richard
downer

Post by downer »

powered
Richard
downer

Post by downer »

JAG wrote:I would say it is the hub i used to run a belkin & when my machine went in to sleep mode i would only need to plug my ipod in and it would start it up :shock: "even if i just wanted to charge it" on Vista , Give me 30 min,s or so and i will plug the hub into laptop and try it to make sure it wakes up win 7 before i give you a def yes/no on windows 7 starting up from a hub i have a usb mouse and keyboard i can try as well :thumbup: . But reading about Pluscom it isn't a registered company so it will not have it's own domain :silent: so no drivers from manufacturers.
The situation you describe is normally switchable in the BIOS "Allow USB to restart PC" kind of option.
My problem is not with starting up from the hub or usb devices. It is the fact that the restart does not execute properly.

Don't worry about it. :)
Richard
downer

Post by downer »

JAG wrote:Have you done a SP1 update as that would be more of a windows problem than driver problem just a thought and i dont mind trying it if you wish me to.
Yep. W7 is fully updated. In the end, it has to be a compatability problem between W7 and the USB hub. W7 performs resume properly when the hub is not connected, but shows a blank screen when it is connected.

Bloody thing. I'll sort it out. One day. Thanks anyway, for your help. :)
Richard
downer

Post by downer »

Looks good. I think the next one I buy will be USB 3.0... May as well buy it for the future. I have USB 3 on the laptop, so next time I buy an external drive I'll also get 3.0 = much faster data transfer.
Richard
Tooks
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Tooks »

Richard, I'm wondering if Microsoft have done something recently to 'break' USB Card readers in Win 7? Up until a couple of weeks ago, I had a 3.5" USB2 internal card reader that worked fine. Then, it started to only work if the pc was started with a card in the reader, or I uninstalled then reinstalled the reader.

I changed it for a brand new USB3 card reader, which basically needs exactly the same treatment in order to work. I then tried an old USB2 external card reader and that worked fine.

All the while this has been going on, my external USB3 backup drives have been working fine.

It's annoying, and it may be a driver issue particular to my pc, but seems strange it worked fine, then stopped! I'm happy using my external card reader, it's only to get pics on the PC, and all my other USB peripherals work fine too.

I'm hoping a future windows or driver update will fix it!
Ideal number of watches in your collection = current number of watches + 1...
downer

Post by downer »

Tooks wrote:Richard, I'm wondering if Microsoft have done something recently to 'break' USB Card readers in Win 7? Up until a couple of weeks ago, I had a 3.5" USB2 internal card reader that worked fine. Then, it started to only work if the pc was started with a card in the reader, or I uninstalled then reinstalled the reader.

I changed it for a brand new USB3 card reader, which basically needs exactly the same treatment in order to work. I then tried an old USB2 external card reader and that worked fine.

All the while this has been going on, my external USB3 backup drives have been working fine.

It's annoying, and it may be a driver issue particular to my pc, but seems strange it worked fine, then stopped! I'm happy using my external card reader, it's only to get pics on the PC, and all my other USB peripherals work fine too.

I'm hoping a future windows or driver update will fix it!
You could well be right. I changed my laptop a few weeks ago so I assumed I introduced this 'problem' at the same time.

As you say, hopefully a W7 update will sort it out, one of these days. :)
Richard
downer

Post by downer »

Splashed out on a USB 3.0 hub this morning. Problem solved. :D

Thanks to Andrew and Iain for the advice.
Richard