How my watch lume, made me realise, my phone caused temporary loss of vision !

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

How my watch lume, made me realise, my phone caused temporary loss of vision !

Post by magicman »

Last night after looking at my phone, in the darkness, I turned it off and after a few minutes I decided to look at my watches' lume, to my surprise, as the watch came into the center of my view, I couldn't see any lume, it was definitely there, out of the corner of my eye.
After a few tries, it seems that being on my phone had caused me to have a blindspot in the center of my vision.
Rather worrying and it stayed like that, for at least 10 mins.
Normally, I would shut down my phone, and close my eyes, I probably experienced the afterglow of the screen before, but not actual loss of vision.
Do you think, this could cause permanent damage ?

Regards Steve
Selling
CW C8 Revival

CW 12 Glacier Blue
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Re: How my watch lume, made me realise, my phone caused temporary loss of vision !

Post by missF »

I don’t think it will cause permanent damage. As you say, it probably happens all the time to all of us but we don’t notice because we have turned over and closed our eyes. But it absolutely does show how bright a phone screen is compared to other things we’re trying to adapt to and see in the dark. No wonder phones and screens late at night are disastrous for our sleep- the stimulation on our brain of that amount of light must be huge....
(She said - past midnight, not managing to sleep so checking in on the forum... :roll: :lol: )
These users thanked the author missF for the post (total 3):
magicmanAmor Vincit Omniarkovars
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Re: How my watch lume, made me realise, my phone caused temporary loss of vision !

Post by jkbarnes »

I’ll add that the cones in our retinas which register color are concentrated in the center of the eye while the rods which register low light are around the periphery. It would make sense then that when looking directly at the watch the lume doesn’t register well while looking off to the side it does. When reading my watch in low light I typically look slightly off to the side for this very reason.
These users thanked the author jkbarnes for the post:
magicman
Drew
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

I haven't noticed that happening to me, and I have plenty issues with my sight. I will check tonight when it is properly dark.

This was discussed at WUS. Perhaps this will help, Steve, as it's not just you, but several opinions. Maybe worth asking your optician if you have one though. .

https://www.watchuseek.com/threads/soo- ... k.5374350/

Also discussed here, medically.
https://www.gersteineye.com/blog/2018/0 ... on%20(AMD).
These users thanked the author JAFO for the post:
magicman
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

missF wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 12:39 am No wonder phones and screens late at night are disastrous for our sleep- the stimulation on our brain of that amount of light must be huge....
(She said - past midnight, not managing to sleep so checking in on the forum... :roll: :lol: )
For a year or two now I have been trying to keep off screens after 8 pm. I was sleeping very badly during the pandemic and, as well as general anxiety, I realised there had been a huge uptick in the amount of time I spent on screens. The main exception now is reading a kindle in bed, but that doesn’t seem to bother me – I also like listening to audiobooks. I’m occasionally on the forum after eight, but you won’t see me around much. My sleep definitely improved very quickly.
These users thanked the author Amor Vincit Omnia for the post:
missF
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

A kindle backlight is rather different to the light from a phone isn't it.

I take a mild tablet each night to help me sleep, but I'm starting to think it's my fault for staying up too late, and using my phone.
Amor Vincit Omnia

JAFO wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:43 am A kindle backlight is rather different to the light from a phone isn't it.
Hence why it doesn't bother me, I guess. I use a Paperwhite. Even better, though, to lie back and listen to Michael Palin, Eric Newby or Jan Morris.
Steve

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
rkovars
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by rkovars »

JAFO wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:43 am A kindle backlight is rather different to the light from a phone isn't it.

I take a mild tablet each night to help me sleep, but I'm starting to think it's my fault for staying up too late, and using my phone.
Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:50 am
Hence why it doesn't bother me, I guess. I use a Paperwhite. Even better, though, to lie back and listen to Michael Palin, Eric Newby or Jan Morris.
The kindle is essentially a static image. Epaper is a really incredible device. Each pixel is essentially a ball colored half black and half white (or off white). When you turn the page all of the balls re-orient to display the next bit of text then are static again. This is what gives it the good battery life and why it is easier on the eyes.

An iPad screen has a refresh rate. That is the image being displayed is turning on and off at a very high rate every second (the cheaper iPads are 60 Hz and the better ones are 120 Hz). Some people can actually perceive the flicker in the 60 Hz models. The screen refreshing is what is really hard on the eyes.
These users thanked the author rkovars for the post (total 2):
Amor Vincit OmniaJAFO
Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well.
Jack London
Amor Vincit Omnia

@rkovars Absolutely fascinating – thank you! That explains an awful lot. Every day is a school day! 8)
Steve

Chris GB
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 2

Post by Chris GB »

Screens can be very bright unless your phone / tablet has a strong adaptive brightness setting. Using a phone screen in a dark room, your pupils will be wide open in response to the mostly dark surroundings, so your eyes are letting a lot of light get to the retina in the area mostly registering colour and it can take a while for the low light capability to return.

Looking slightly away from what you are trying to see is a technique used in astronomy to see faint objects. It's called averted vision or averted viewing and once mastered, it's worth lots of mirror inches in your telescope!

The eye has mostly cones (colour receptors) in the central part of our field of vision. These are great at detail and colour. Rods make up the off axis peripheral area and they are excellent in low light, but no colour rendition and less detail than central vision.

Perhaps try turning your screen brightness to minimum before late night use?
These users thanked the author Chris GB for the post:
rkovars
C63 Sealander - Hunter Green. Twelve Ti -Purple. C65 Aquitaine - Seagrass Green. On order: C63 SH21 Blue Marine (delayed 4 months plus 3 months. So far). C1 Bel Canto - Voila (delayed). Waiting. Endless waiting.