Holiday Watch Dilemma

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Holiday Watch Dilemma

Post by iain »

No this isn’t one of those “Which watch shall I take on holiday?” threads, don’t panic.

It’s not long now until I go away on our last family holiday before our daughter goes to university. It’s a combination of a celebration of her 18th, my wife and my 50th birthdays and our 20th anniversary.

Everything’s ready, right down to someone moving in to cat sit while we’re away. Perfect. In just over a weeks time I’ll be walking the streets of Kuala Lumpar and Singapore before heading to Bali. I can’t wait.

I’ve had a few holiday watches in my collection and they’ve all been sold. I decided long ago that my Bremont S300 on an artem sailcloth strap would be what I took. Under the radar, not flashy and not being on a bracelet, unlikely to attract attention.

Then I took it out of the box and gave it a wind, Bugger!!! The crown is slipping and it won’t wind.

So this gives me a dilemma with little to no time to get a replacement in, (any new purchase would have to be here by the end of next week), I’ll have to take one of my other watches.

The Ingenieur is too big and flashy, the IWC chrono is big, flashy and on leather, and the Zenith is on a croc strap and not readable at night in a hotel room with blackout curtains.

This leaves just the MKXVIII and if it swap it to the Artem strap it tones it down enough to be my holiday watch. Not ideal for pool duties but is was serviced last year and will be fine. Panic over, IWC to the rescue and who said it couldn’t be that one watch.

IMG_0430.jpeg
IMG_0428.jpeg
IMG_0429.jpeg
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Re: Holiday Watch Dilemma

Post by TheBeatles »

iain wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 4:18 pm No this isn’t one of those “Which watch shall I take on holiday?” threads, don’t panic.
Drat, thought I was going to get some clues as to what to take. We’re off to Lake Garda in 2 weeks and I was just thinking about my watches this afternoon. Decisions, Decisions!!

Here’s hoping it’s not as expensive as last year, when I purchased the BumbleBeast from Guy whilst sitting at the pool!!

So if anyone wants to sell me a watch, I’m obviously at my weakest in the sunshine and in holiday mood. My willpower suffers under the effects of a good Chianti.

Anyway I digress, good choice Iain. A nice clear dial to read in case of too many Eastern beers, have a great time.
These users thanked the author TheBeatles for the post (total 2):
iainBahnstormer_vRS
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

@iain - I most certainly agree. Maybe try and find some travel reports about safety in KL. I’ve been there before and it’s an amazing city. I never felt threatened at all. But the city has the most tremendous wealth and marvellous zing living right next to equally great poverty. That might add up to a risk of having valuables stolen. No doom from me - just the usual holiday safety advice. Your trip sounds amazing 8)
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

@missF thanks for the tip, all my watches are insured including abroad but I don’t want any hassle while on holiday.

I don’t tend to be a stand out target tourist when I visit places, always aware of my surrounding and knowing where I’m going etc. However I’m clearly not Malaysian so won’t be mistaken for a local and therefore always a potential target. Hence removing the bracelet for the first time in years to dress the watch down.
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
missF
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW Forum Poet Laureate
CW-watches: 3

Post by missF »

And it looks great dressed down too!
I thought it was worth pointing out my limited experience of KL. in fact the contrast of the city was in my face because I was staying with friends in their apartment that overlooked the Patronas Towers :shock: Like christmas trees of affluence and opulence :lol: I’ve never been in a city like it before :D
These users thanked the author missF for the post:
iain
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

^^^^ The most extreme cities I’ve visited for poverty vs affluence are Lagos and Bangkok.

We’re staying in the district near the Petronas towers in KL and have a few sights planned. We’re only there for two days before we move on.
These users thanked the author iain for the post:
missF
RichM
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 4

Post by RichM »

iain wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 4:18 pm
Then I took it out of the box and gave it a wind, Bugger!!! The crown is slipping and it won’t wind.

Bugger indeed! Does it wind if you just wear it for few minutes to get it going before setting the time (assuming the crown is working to allow that) or is it completely dead?

Have a great trip!
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

@RichM yes it will get going but I don’t want to be away for a few weeks only to find it goes fully while I’m away. I’m sending it off to be safe.
These users thanked the author iain for the post:
RichM
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

The Mark XVIII looks good with the Artem. :thumbup:

Just as well that you don’t have a Bel Canto, as that would be unsuitable for such a holiday.

Neil
These users thanked the author nbg for the post (total 2):
iainChris375
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
RichM
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 4

Post by RichM »

iain wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 4:18 pm No this isn’t one of those “Which watch shall I take on holiday?” threads, don’t panic.

It’s not long now until I go away on our last family holiday before our daughter goes to university. It’s a combination of a celebration of her 18th, my wife and my 50th birthdays

So.... when my oldest lad is 18 I'll be 58 and when my youngest is 18 I'll be 63!!! I'm not sure I'd make it to Bali at the rate I'm going!!
These users thanked the author RichM for the post:
iain
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

nbg wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 7:35 pm Just as well that you don’t have a Bel Canto…….

I blame the Friday beers but I was wondering how the BC made the discussion until I realised it’s in my signature……

Well done, it raised a smile here.