Here maybe a topic The LAW

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
jmarchitect
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Re: Here maybe a topic The LAW

Post by jmarchitect »

Methinks the slippery slope towards total chaos has just had another layer of grease added to it. :(
highway62

Post by highway62 »

Sorry , but the Daily Wail is not a repository of wisdom on this or any other matter....
highway62

Post by highway62 »

thanks for the BBC link, reading the whole story there puts a somewhat different slant on it..

Not for 1 second excusing the guy, but there was no violence or threatening behaviour involved. The theft was not from an individuals' home. All that was taken was some chocolate!
They ran, and in so doing clipped a police vehicle (IMO their worse offence since someone could have been hurt)

The man in question has no previous record and is a single parent to 5 kids and has apparently expressed genuine remorse for his crime.
He has been away from his kids for 6wks during the legal process.

I'd say the court got it about right, don't see what is so be gained by punishing his kids any further... (I know that this is not going to be the view of the majority! :lol: )
jimbo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jimbo »

Without having read the article

what many forget when someone is caught is how many other crimes has he already got away with? he could be a good burglar who has only been caught the once. these days you have to be very naughty to be put inside, or an MP :lol:

Do you know what i think is a silly law?

Drink driving.......I've drunk loads whilst driving, and it's never effected me.....my wife normally has to unscrew the lid at times, but how the bloody hell does drinking impair your driving?

and the old chestnut

"Bill Posters" will be prosecuted.... Why?
Remember...your left hand has the thumb on the right hand side
st-rider
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 12
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by st-rider »

jimbo wrote:...
"Bill Posters" will be prosecuted.... Why?
Reminds me there's been signs giving directions for Bramham Horse Trials. I have an urge to scribble "Not Guilty" on them for some reason :wink: :lol:

On topic of original post maybe I'm being Daily Mail reader here but shouldn't the guy take some responsibility for his actions? It's almost like he's saying it'd be all ok if he hadn't been caught.

TTFN, Alex
Alex

Caitlin: "What did Ducky look like when he was younger?"
Gibbs: "Illya Kuryakin" :D
rcherryuk
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes

Post by rcherryuk »

Responsible media, that's what this country needs.
Rob

Watches are like Dictionaries; the worst is better than none, and the best cannot be expected to go quite true.
Samuel Johnson
highway62

Post by highway62 »

I think the community service idea would be suitable in this case. Just don't see what would be achieved by locking the guy up.
Was interesting to see the differing tones taken by the Mail and BBC reports though! :lol:
rcherryuk
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes

Post by rcherryuk »

highway62 wrote:I think the community service idea would be suitable in this case. Just don't see what would be achieved by locking the guy up.
Was interesting to see the differing tones taken by the Mail and BBC reports though! :lol:
The Daily Mail is mainly purchased by the ageing middle/working classes :D

My mother is one and believes firmly that all the problems in the UK are caused by immigrants, especially the Polish.

The BBC exist at the whim of the Government, through the TV license/tax, so whilst they 'bite the hand that feeds,they don't do it too hard' :D

Rob
Rob

Watches are like Dictionaries; the worst is better than none, and the best cannot be expected to go quite true.
Samuel Johnson
highway62

Post by highway62 »

Our daily paper while I was growing up was 'The Morning Star' that would've certainly had a different slant on the story! :D
highway62

Post by highway62 »

Just as well
jimbo
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jimbo »

Are you some left wing liberal sandle wearing whispy bearded limp wrist?

I've just had a look at the above reports, and It's a bloody joke he got let out. the **** could have killed someone

not only that he and his mates were going to do over a rugby club...they were expecting to get a few grand in takings, maybe the stock from the bar, and you think there is no victim...there bloody well is...society, if we carry on like this you might as well roll over and die.

This thread should be deleated as a "Not in the interest of decent people who work hard, pay their taxes, and try to do the right thing by their friends, community and for the good of the country"

what a crock of sh*t
Remember...your left hand has the thumb on the right hand side
highway62

Post by highway62 »

Yes I am a liberal, but not of the limp wristed sort that puts up with reactionary ****! :lol:
highway62

Post by highway62 »

I believe you are wrong, but at least we managed to disagree without insulting each other...
jmarchitect
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jmarchitect »

Now then- to put a little coolant on a potentially heated debate- I remember when the human rights angle started insinuating its way into modern life and we were all warned to keep an eye on how it affects our profession. These days, when I speak at a planning hearing, the lead agenda item is based on how the human rights of the petitioner have been respected. No mention is made, however, of how the human rights of poor ol' me or my client have been trampled under the need to spend countless hours and lost fees producing a response.

In a similar way, the human rights issue applied in the style of the lead post does not consider the human rights of the poor sods who have experienced crime, no matter how small. Herein lies my problem with human rights issues being applied at all.

The situation is a crock of crud but lets respect a liberals (highways) view for what it is- another angle on the situation and one which will hopefully prevent a reactionary meltdown.