HELP! Stripped torx screw

Here you can post stuff that is not related to Christopher Ward
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

HELP! Stripped torx screw

Post by jkbarnes »

In my haste to remove a screw, I’ve wound up stripping the head. I was using the proper bit, by the way. Any suggestion on how I might try removing it? Most tips online focused bigger bolts. This one is a tiny T6. One tip suggested using a little steel wool in the head to help create some bite, but I’m nervous about damaging what the screws are screwed into. First pic is the stripped head, the lower one. Second pic is the aftermarket clip I’m trying to swap to along with the replacement screws and a strap tool for size reference. These suckers are small. I think I’m screwed, pun intended.

IMG_9256.jpeg
IMG_9257.jpeg
Drew
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Re: HELP! Stripped torx screw

Post by nbg »

How tight do you think the screw is done up?

Perhaps some DW40 to try and loosen the screw a little before using the steel wool.

If the steel wool is only packed in the screw head, I am not sure why it would damage the screw threads?

If the steel wool doesn’t work…

Plan B: superglue something into the hex head of the screw.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
tikkathree
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by tikkathree »

In your shoes I think first attempt would be to try fixing an allen key or similar into the wrecked torx head with epoxy resin and if that didn't work maybe drilling the head off and using mole grips or similar to wind the threaded bolt out.

Option 3 would involve ...hang on let's check the scale of the offending torx bolt: oh man that is tiny! This might be my preferred option: to drive something oversize into the remains of the head in the hope of jamming it in there just long enough....

All options looks a bit doubtful but I'd be working against the notion that whatever you're trying to save/replace is wrecked anyway: sorry!
These users thanked the author tikkathree for the post:
Trs1982
C60 MKI, MKII, MKIII: "some",
C6 & C60 Kingfishers,
C600 Tritechs,
C63 "some",
C65 "some",
C4, C40, C8, C9, C3, C5, C20FLE
Some other brands
Trs1982
Expert
Expert

Post by Trs1982 »

Bit of WD40 to loosen it, then grab a hardened flat head screwdriver and a hammer.

Hold the flathead in position and carefully, but firmly create a groove for your flathead in the damaged screw. You'll feel when it's got decent purchase and should be able to carefully unscrew it.
JAFO
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by JAFO »

Does the top screw come out easily, or is that tight to remove? If you took the top one out, would there be a little play that might help loosen the bottom one?
ajax87
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by ajax87 »

I've had luck using electrical tape or rubber bands on the screw head to help the bit get extra grip.
Alex
C5A Mk1|C65 316L LE|C63 36mm, GMT, Elite, 2023ish FLE|C1 Moonglow|Omega Seamaster DeVille|Speedmaster mk40|Speedmaster Racing|MoonSwatch Mercury|RZE Endeavor|Tudor BB58 925
kiter65
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by kiter65 »

Buy yourself a set of easy outs :thumbup:
OllyW
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 8

Post by OllyW »

A few thoughts from an engineer who regularly has to do stuff like this...

WD40 is better than nothing but a proper penetrating oil like PlusGas works much better at freeing up seized screws.

If the threaded hole the screw fits in is accessible from the rear of the assembly, drilling the screw out would be the best option. T6 Torx screws are normally M2 threads, so a 1.5 or 1.6mm drill would be required but check before drilling. The screw usually unscrews itself when you start applying pressure with the drill bit.

If that isn't an option, sawing off a piece of the closest sized allen key and hammering it into the damaged Torx head might give enough purchase to unscrew it. I don't think attaching a key using epoxy resin would work because it is so tiny.

It's difficult to see exactly how it goes together but you may also be able to try removing the undamaged screw and twisting the strap with the two holes anti-clockwise, which may help to start unscrewing the thread.
These users thanked the author OllyW for the post (total 2):
tikkathreeMistaFroggyG
MistaFroggyG
Guru
Guru

Post by MistaFroggyG »

For a good, US-available penetrating oil, I use PB Blaster. I got mine at AutoZone.

I bought it to help me undo the bolts for the rear shocks in the trunk of my Miata which were stuck pretty tight. It’s useful to have around if you ever have any stuck bolts on yours.
These users thanked the author MistaFroggyG for the post:
OllyW
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by iain »

Whichever method you select to remove this screw Drew, don’t forget that you’ll have a much greater chance of success if you swear loudly while tackling it.
These users thanked the author iain for the post:
rkovars
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
magicman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by magicman »

jkbarnes wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:30 pm In my haste to remove a screw, I’ve wound up stripping the head. I was using the proper bit, by the way. Any suggestion on how I might try removing it? Most tips online focused bigger bolts. This one is a tiny T6. One tip suggested using a little steel wool in the head to help create some bite, but I’m nervous about damaging what the screws are screwed into. First pic is the stripped head, the lower one. Second pic is the aftermarket clip I’m trying to swap to along with the replacement screws and a strap tool for size reference. These suckers are small. I think I’m screwed, pun intended.

IMG_9256.jpeg

IMG_9257.jpeg
Hi Drew

I have had success in the past with standard Allen keys and flat head screwdrivers as suggested. But I usually work on larger items.

Regards Steve
Selling
CW C8 Revival

CW 12 Glacier Blue
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

Great tips everyone, thank you! To answer some questions, the top screw is easily removed, but that doesn’t really give much play to the pocket clip. The stuck screw is not accessible from the other side. I’ve tried the rubber band method without much success. I think this was partly due to the size of the rubber band I was stuck with and the confined space in which I was trying to work.

I’ll start working on the other tips and update my progress. Again, thank you all!
Drew
Ian Mc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Ian Mc »

Drill down the centre from the torx head side. Use a 1mm drill at high speed, then slowly go up in size to about 1.5mm.
Then, use a stud extractor if you can find one that small, or, run a tap the same size as the origional threads down the hole, that should clear the threads.
Time keeps on slipping into the future
OllyW
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by OllyW »

Ian Mc wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:02 pm Drill down the centre from the torx head side. Use a 1mm drill at high speed, then slowly go up in size to about 1.5mm.
Then, use a stud extractor if you can find one that small, or, run a tap the same size as the origional threads down the hole, that should clear the threads.
A left handed drill run in reverse would work better if drilling from that side and would encourage the thread to unscrew. You would need to be very careful making sure it runs as centrally as possible to avoid any run off.
richtel
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by richtel »

I might be tempted to strike a horizontal groove across what's left of the screw head and then try a flat blade screwdriver across the head. Holding a soldering iron or similar on the screw head for a few minutes before you turn might also help break the thread bond. The challenge is then to find a suitable tool to cut that groove within a recess... the ground tip of another suitably sized screwdriver or similar perhaps.
Rich

"The bad news is that time flies. The good news is that you're the pilot."